Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2006, 6:17 pm

i love ska. anyone listen to Big D and the Kids Table?

foxwrapped
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Sep 2006, 2:59 am

What was it, the second ska revival with The Beat, Selecter, and Specials? Madness I'm assuming were a bit later... I love that ska. The Specials are classic but I personally prefer The Beat (or English Beat in the U.S.). Unfortuantely I live in Southern California where there is a lot of interest in ska music except it's the wrong ska... of the No Doubt or whatever variety. I can't say that I like ska without a bunch of people groaning and saying "Ska sucks!"

bunny: Preston (of Ordinary Boys) is one a bit of fine, isn't he? Mind you, I haven't heard the music, but he is nice to look at, I will admit.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 5:50 pm

yes the two tone scene of the late 70s early 80s was cool with the specials, the beat, selecter, bad manners, madness etc. but that movement had strong ties to the original jamaican ska scene especially with rico playing trombone with the specials and the beat, and his solo album on two tone.
foxwrapped, madness were about at the same time as the other two tone groups, their first album actually was on two tone records.

and it was still very much a music of the oppressed, largely coming out of english working class culture.

but all this music people are calling ska these days is not ska at all. go and listen to don drummond, skatalites, prince buster, early lee perry, lester sterling, roland alphonso if you want to hear what ska really is all about.

chikichi chi chikichi chi

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

foxwrapped
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Sep 2006, 10:03 pm

I'll look into the musicians you've listed peedo, thanks!

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 2:59 am

foxwrapped wrote:
I'll look into the musicians you've listed peedo, thanks!

peedo???? :? :? :)

but yes you should certainly check them out. quite a few of the two tone acts, particularly madness and the specials songs were actually covers of 60s jamaican ska tracks.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith