Sci-fi, Aversion to Alien invasion stories?

Page 2 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2010, 5:15 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
I don't think the Foundation series is very good - especially given it's a bastardised version of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, right down to some of the characters, which really takes the shine off it,,,

Really? I really liked that aspect of it. At the time I was reading it, comparisons were being made between Foundation and the U.S. - Japan post WWII economic relationship. Today i think it's more applicable to China. I really like it when an author can take historical perspective and apply it to a fictional setting, and it ends up being reflected in modern history. Proof yet again that if we don't learn from history's mistakes, we really are doomed to repeat them. :wink:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 5:15 pm

I know that the reason they butcher great sci-fi book's in movies is money, but consider why that makes more money. Sci-fi in movie's and tv is relatively rare, i know that there is a lot of it but consider how many action movies and comedies there are. they make more money and take less of a risk when they give people something that they are know, when you have aliens invading earth (or something similar) your making something similar to an action movie, when you make something like the movie version of Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (i loved the book's the movie not so much) you have too take out so much of the story too get it to fit in a 2 hour time frame that you essential have too makeup the hole thing to get what you have left to make sens.

Also MrXxx i think a book series you would like is the Saga of Seven Sons by Keven J. Anderson, it's not quite a cerebral as something by Asimov but it is quite complex.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 5:46 pm

Well, you can't really blame Hollywood for the Hitchhiker's Guide movie - Douglas Adams did at least the first draft of that. He took pride in making each version (radio series, recording, novels, TV series, movie) disagree with all the others in at least one particular.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 5:46 pm

Titangeek wrote:
I know that the reason they butcher great sci-fi book's in movies is money, but consider why that makes more money. Sci-fi in movie's and tv is relatively rare, i know that there is a lot of it but consider how many action movies and comedies there are. they make more money and take less of a risk when they give people something that they are know, when you have aliens invading earth (or something similar) your making something similar to an action movie, when you make something like the movie version of Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (i loved the book's the movie not so much) you have too take out so much of the story too get it to fit in a 2 hour time frame that you essential have too makeup the hole thing to get what you have left to make sens.

Also MrXxx i think a book series you would like is the Saga of Seven Sons by Keven J. Anderson, it's not quite a cerebral as something by Asimov but it is quite complex.

Good points. Sci-Fi was a relatively small section in book stores and libraries when I first started reading it. It was definitely a cult type thing. In fact, there was a clear distinction between Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and that's become really blurred over the years, thanks in great part to Silverberg especially when he teamed up with Azimov to write The Ugly Little Boy.

Seems like Star Trek has been about the only popular film endeavor that's ever gone beyond the "good vs. evil" simplicity. Real life is so much more complicated than that. The thing is, Hollywood has managed to get beyond that simplistic view with a lot of really good movies, but hardly any of them are in the Sci-Fi genre. I find that kind of sad because there are so many stories out there that do go far beyond that and make you think in ways that a story in contemporary settings just can't do.

Logan's Run was kind of like that.

Thanks for the reading suggestion, but to tell you the truth at my age, and based on my reading patterns over the last couple of decades, I doubt I will ever get beyond the three books I still have to read in the Ring World series. The only one I've finished is the first. I'm a really slow reader too.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 5:49 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Well, you can't really blame Hollywood for the Hitchhiker's Guide movie - Douglas Adams did at least the first draft of that. He took pride in making each version (radio series, recording, novels, TV series, movie) disagree with all the others in at least one particular.

Ah! Another all time favorite! I've got the collector's edition of them all that looks like a bible with gold leafed pages and really thin pages. That's another one I haven't finished yet. I've read the first three, and that's it so far. I'm afraid of damaging the copy I have, but I do plan to read the rest of the series in it eventually.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 7:34 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:
I don't think the Foundation series is very good - especially given it's a bastardised version of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, right down to some of the characters, which really takes the shine off it,,,

Really? I really liked that aspect of it. At the time I was reading it, comparisons were being made between Foundation and the U.S. - Japan post WWII economic relationship. Today i think it's more applicable to China. I really like it when an author can take historical perspective and apply it to a fictional setting, and it ends up being reflected in modern history. Proof yet again that if we don't learn from history's mistakes, we really are doomed to repeat them. :wink:

Asimov was good at writing logic puzzles and bad at writing English. His Robot stories and his mysteries are original and stand for themselves despite the writing, but the Foundation trilogy dresses up an unoriginal story with space battleships, pocket-atomo-can-openers and godawful writing. :? And it's not much good as science fiction or analogy - we learn from history, or we should, but that doesn't mean that history repeats itself directly - the modern world, let alone a galaxy spanning human Imperium in the grim darkness of the far future *ahem*, ain't ever gonna rigidly follow historical parallels ("they're more... guidelines.") Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth are better; at least they're recycling his own material... :lol:

The year is still young.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 7:57 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

Asimov was good at writing logic puzzles and bad at writing English. His Robot stories and his mysteries are original and stand for themselves despite the writing, but the Foundation trilogy dresses up an unoriginal story with space battleships, pocket-atomo-can-openers and godawful writing. :? And it's not much good as science fiction or analogy - we learn from history, or we should, but that doesn't mean that history repeats itself directly - the modern world, let alone a galaxy spanning human Imperium in the grim darkness of the far future *ahem*, ain't ever gonna rigidly follow historical parallels ("they're more... guidelines.") Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth are better; at least they're recycling his own material... :lol:

Well, I quite enjoyed it, including his writing. Perhaps we see historical perspective differently. I look more at overall trends more so than details. Those I do see repeating over and over throughout history. So much so it's pretty scary.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2010, 8:32 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

I am going too have to agree with you one that one. The only book of his that i like (and even then i hated the ending) was
Fantastic Voyage II.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2010, 11:55 am

Here on earth, when two very different cultures come in contact with each other, violent conflict usually happens. It's not surprising that movies reflect that. Sometimes there is a brief bubble of peace. We got "E.T" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" during such a bubble in the U.S. Since 9/11, I think the American market for "peaceful cross cultural meeting" fiction has really waned.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:18 pm

Janissy wrote:
Here on earth, when two very different cultures come in contact with each other, violent conflict usually happens. It's not surprising that movies reflect that. Sometimes there is a brief bubble of peace. We got "E.T" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" during such a bubble in the U.S. Since 9/11, I think the American market for "peaceful cross cultural meeting" fiction has really waned.

Yep. You're right. All this Hollywood "aliens are always evil" crap started during the height of the Cold War. It's pretty much accepted that aliens in pretty much all Sci-Fi movies during the Fifties were analogous to Russia's communist regime. IN a way, from the beginnings then of popular Sci-Fi movies, until now, they do mostly seem to have reflected current events and mentalities.

I guess I have a hard time with that because (and here we go with the "chicken/egg" thing), I'd prefer art to make people think about possibilities than to simply reflect what's already on everybody's minds. That, to me, isn't daring at all.

Yeah, I know. "Whatever sells..." :roll:

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:22 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Janissy wrote:

Yep. You're right. All this Hollywood "aliens are always evil" crap started during the height of the Cold War. It's pretty much accepted that aliens in pretty much all Sci-Fi movies during the Fifties were analogous to Russia's communist regime. IN a way, from the beginnings then of popular Sci-Fi movies, until now, they do mostly seem to have reflected current events and mentalities.

I guess I have a hard time with that because (and here we go with the "chicken/egg" thing), I'd prefer art to make people think about possibilities than to simply reflect what's already on everybody's minds. That, to me, isn't daring at all.

Acutely i think the first appearance of Aliens being evil was H.G.Wells War of the Worlds

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:28 pm

Titangeek wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Janissy wrote:

Acutely i think the first appearance of Aliens being evil was H.G.Wells War of the Worlds

Yes. As a book. It's Hollywood's movie adaptations that I'm actually addressing. Not the books. There are a plethora of books that portray aliens in a much different light, but no movies are ever made of most of them. That's the issue I have. The first rendition of War of the Worlds, wasn't made into a movie until 1953. The radio play, which of course was broadcast in 1938, played on the same type of fear, but in its case, it was fear of the Nazi threat. Same thing as far as the "why" goes.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:56 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Janissy wrote:

Yes. As a book. It's Hollywood's movie adaptations that I'm actually addressing. Not the books. There are a plethora of books that portray aliens in a much different light, but no movies are ever made of most of them. That's the issue I have. The first rendition of War of the Worlds, wasn't made into a movie until 1953. The radio play, which of course was broadcast in 1938, played on the same type of fear, but in its case, it was fear of the Nazi threat. Same thing as far as the "why" goes.

True, true. But you would think with the success of movies like E.T or shows like Star Trek that there would be many more scyfy movies that portray alien at least for the most part in a good light.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 3:16 pm

Titangeek wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Janissy wrote:

True, true. But you would think with the success of movies like E.T or shows like Star Trek that there would be many more scyfy movies that portray alien at least for the most part in a good light.

That's my thinking too, but I think Janissy has a point. Stuff happened on a global scale since then, that I do think changed popular concepts. Now, we have yet another evil enemy. Hollywood is simply, yet again, exploiting that popular perception. During the time period of ET and the rise (again) of Star Trek, is was far less on the minds of the populace. Even during the Sixties, when Star Trek first emerged, Roddenberry "lucked out" in that his timing was perfect. What he offered was an alternative of the type a lot of people were looking for. Once the Gulf War happened, and everything that followed, including 9/11, which pretty much confirmed popular "paranoia," which turned out not to be paranoia at all, but a real threat, along with all the hoopla about illegal immigration, aliens are yet again "evil entities."

Too bad. It seems the age of daring producers is pretty much gone. I guess my concern is what it says about society that so many people are attracted to whatever is perceived to be popular, rather than what they really think themselves. The same sad thing has been happening in music too.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 3:23 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Janissy wrote:

That's my thinking too, but I think Janissy has a point. Stuff happened on a global scale since then, that I do think changed popular concepts. Now, we have yet another evil enemy. Hollywood is simply, yet again, exploiting that popular perception. During the time period of ET and the rise (again) of Star Trek, is was far less on the minds of the populace. Even during the Sixties, when Star Trek first emerged, Roddenberry "lucked out" in that his timing was perfect. What he offered was an alternative of the type a lot of people were looking for. Once the Gulf War happened, and everything that followed, including 9/11, which pretty much confirmed popular "paranoia," which turned out not to be paranoia at all, but a real threat, along with all the hoopla about illegal immigration, aliens are yet again "evil entities."

Too bad. It seems the age of daring producers is pretty much gone. I guess my concern is what it says about society that so many people are attracted to whatever is perceived to be popular, rather than what they really think themselves. The same sad thing has been happening in music too.

I agree with you for the most part. But how do you explain the success of shows like Stargate (SG1 Atlantis Universe) and BattleStar Galactica? And video games like Halo?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 4:25 pm

Titangeek wrote:
I agree with you for the most part. But how do you explain the success of shows like Stargate (SG1 Atlantis Universe) and BattleStar Galactica? And video games like Halo?

Stargate? The whole premise of the show is based on an evil alien race controlling other races.

BattleStar Galactica is just a spin off of Star Wars (or vice versa, which is debatable, and I won't even address that issue, because I've frankly never liked either one of them.) As far as I'm concerned, both are just cowboys and Indians set in space. Instead of finding it ironic, I found it quite appropriate that Lorne Greene starred in BG. I've never found either series to be anything close to cerebral.

Just my opinion.