Big musical influences...mainstream or underground?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 7:59 pm

artrat wrote:
I can't talk music with anyone because nobody has a clue who my favorite musicians are.
Most of them are from U.K. (Either punk,post-punk or folk music). In America my music is virtually unknown.

I sometimes have that, too. But in Germany, a lot of people know English and American music and you will find quite some people who like some of what you listen to. I guess America is just so big that it is hard to find someone who likes the same stuff. I have heard from several Americans that they have virtually no one who likes the music they do. Or people from small towns.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

Thank you for the insight Boom3rang, in hindsight metal started out like that for me too. Now I know the various subgenres and such...must be our neural networks adapting to note patterns over time. And I'd like to revoke the idea that there's no variety. There is variety, I just can't tell what makes it sound different right now. Nice to know some in the electronica fanbase dislike dubstep.

TheHouseholdCat, seems I'm tlaking to you a lot today. Very good insights you have.

I can agree with you; Audioslave was pretty much uncategorizable as is Mnemic, and it makes me like it all the more for it. Used to like pretty much all music until I was forced by a mentor to choose specific genres. Some I could never enjoy though, such as pop, rap and techno.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist