Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Trumpet / trombone / tuba / serpent etc 3%  3%  [ 12 ]
Piano / harmonium / piano accordian / button accordian / organ etc 6%  6%  [ 25 ]
Piano / harmonium / piano accordian / button accordian / organ etc 6%  6%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 398

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2005, 2:06 am

I can't select multiple instruments so I chose piano over guitar. I prefer acoustic guitar over electric guitar but I'd have to say piano is my favorite instrument. Basically, I'll sit there for an hour and fool around with the keys. I've created some pretty cool stuff. Eventually I'd like to get around to actually composing, but right now I don't really have the time or the motivation.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 2:29 am

We've got ourselves the worlds first Aspie orchestra ~ complete with theramin for that spooky sci fi mood music. :D

Has anyone's Dad got a giant barn we can practise in? :lol:

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 5:01 am

I'm good with percussion...

Most forms like Xylophones and most drums...

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 5:29 pm

I used to play the drums. Not very well, and my technical abliity was never good enough to play consistantly in a band. But I do like to figure out and play complex beats. I have a set of bongos that I keep around to just goof around with. And I may set up the old cheap drum set I had, and work at it some more.

Currently I am just trying to learn Polyrhythms. I just tap out a beat anywhere, on tables, my legs anything really. I also have a practice pad I am using. I have 2 over 3 polyrhythms down pretty good. Working on 3 over 4, which is actually pretty easy once I got 2 over 3 down.

I am also working on understanding 5 over 4. Now this is going to be a bit harder, I have the basic beat down. But filling stuff inside of the 5 is going to be hard. It took me forever to figure out how to play triplets inside of the 3 over 2 polyrhythm (effectively 9 over 2). And now playing eighth notes and higher inside of the 5 over 4 is going to be just as difficult. But I find this fun, and I can practice it at anyplace anytime.

maddogtitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2005, 9:41 pm

When I was in 5th grade we were allowed to play a musical instrument. I chose percussion just because i didn't want to work at trying to play any instrument. I was good at it. But once I continued with it, I chose to not do well with rudiments. I was a percussionist for about seven years.

I took up piano in 6th grade, but my grandparents taught me how to play two years earlier. I still continue to play piano.

Going back to percussion. I only enjoyed playing the timpani and mallet percussion because i was the only person in my percussion section that could read piano music. I could do all the other instruments as well, but I just could not play the snare drum.

Also, I can't play the drumset. One of the only hand-eye coordination tasks that I can't do. I've had lessons before, and if my teacher was still doing it, I might continue taking lessons, but I can't do two or more rhythms at the same time. Ironic, isn't it!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 10:40 pm

queerpuppy wrote:
What instrument(s) do you play?

Why did you choose to start?

How long have you played for?

Is it a passion? A pastime? A profession? An outlet for emotions, or an alternative means of self-expression?

Well, I used to play guitar - started that because a cousin that I really looed up to was in a grunge metal band (besides, I just liked music that much). I played from 5th grade to my junior year of highschool when I realized for one that I couldn't start a band that wasn't a babysitting project and also when my tastes in music changed.

What do I play now? I just produce. I jam out and mix on my Yamaha RS7000. I have in addition ot that a Roland 840GX digital recording workstation but it doesn't get much use except for providing an intermediary between my RS7000 and Goldwave on my computer (which is what I ultimately save my tracks to for recording and then use Electronic Cosmo to cut many of them down to 192kbps mp3 files to share online). When I graduated highschool, my present to myself was a Roland MC-505. I ended up selling that for a Novation Nova, tried an Emu Extreme Lead 7 for a while but didn't like it, I ended up with a Yamaha RM1x after that (which I loved dearly) after which I upgraded to an RS7000 which pretty much is to the RM1x what the MC 505 Groovebox was to the MC 303.

My goals right now are to graduate college, get a degree, and once that's settled I'll probably invest more in music. My main thought is to get my hands on a pair of Technics SL-1200 MKIII's and a mixer for djing and if I can get my hands on an Access Virus Indigo and a Waldorf Pulse Plus for pretty cheap I imagine I'll do that too (I REALLY need something that can output some monster sickbass).

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2005, 7:48 pm

synchro wrote:
I’ve played guitar for twenty-one years. When I was a teen, I played both electric and acoustic, but electric guitar didn’t suit me well. I prefer to play acoustic guitars. The style I play would probably be called finger style, though I do use picks as well.

I also can play pennywhistles, recorders and various flutes. I used to have a Lakota Indian flute which sounded beautiful. There are other instruments I would like to play, such as hammered dulcimer, bouzouki, and Highland bagpipes.

It wouldn’t be appropriate to say I am a talented guitar player. I’ve played a long time but haven’t advanced my skills much. I still play at the same level as when I was twenty-four. Guitar playing has been a disappointment at times. Everything I create seems accidental, as there is never a thinking process involved. I do not think of the way I want something to sound, then attempt to play it. I just let my fingers do whatever they want. Sometimes I play well, other times I don’t. It has always been difficult for me to play in front of others, so music has mostly been a private thing. Another negative is that I have never learned how to read & write music. This results in my creating something nice, and then losing it forever.

In all this time, I have only created a handful of songs. My guitar playing is typically just fragments that I am rarely able to string together. There is a trap I fall into, where I invent something I like and then play it over and over again, for weeks, even months. (Perseveration, I guess.) Eventually I have to put the guitar away for an extended time, to get away from the repetitive playing. My guitar has been shelved for a couple of years now.

Recently I’ve attempted to create electronic music, but I didn’t have the patience to learn. There are too many other things going on in my life for me to resume my music hobby at this time.

Although ive only been playing 6 years i have the same problems. Get a recorder (portable voice, laptop or PDA with mic etc) to get your songs down, that way you can never forget them. As for music, i cant read or write either, but remmeber you can use tabs ! that way listen to your recordings, develop the song and get it all down in tab form at least.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2005, 11:23 am

What instrument(s) do you play?

Why did you choose to start?

How long have you played for?

Is it a passion? A pastime? A profession? An outlet for emotions, or an alternative means of self-expression?

I play tuba (oompah!). I started band is 6th grade and the teacher thought I sounded best on tuba (yay!). I might give it up because I can't afford one of my own, but my school is getting new ones, so hopefully I can buy an old one for cheap. I also played baritone for a while, but didn't enjoy it. I've played tuba for 5 years now and baritone for 6 months. I also fool arund every now and then on my electric piano I got for Christmas. I consider music to be a passion of mine and possibly a profession. On tuba, I can play most music you put in front of me.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2005, 8:08 pm

learing baritone both Treble and Bass clefs now.

timkibler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2005, 8:11 pm

I play the guitar but the playing is off and on.
I once dreamed of making it big and wrote my own songs almost all the time - at one point I had a catalog of about 300 songs, many of which I could play on the spot from memory. Whenever I played in live situations I did either really well or really bad. Things were just On and I held the audience in the palm of my hand and other times I drove them out of the room. Nowadays I cannot remember many of the songs I wrote - I can remember the chords but not the words. I wanted to play more electric but never seemed to have the money to buy the equipment. But I have a really sweet Alvarez acoustic. I was chuckled at a previous poster who said he would get stuck in playing the same tune over and over - I do that myself - just a handful that I made up, know how to play - sometimes I try to put words to them but the words are not memorized. Sometimes I don't touch the guitar for months because I'm into photography or writing prose, but then I'll just get Into the Mood to play and I can't put it down.
I'm still researching Asperger's - I'm pretty sure I fit a lot of the criteria but have not yet been formally diagnosed.
Feel like picking up the guitar right now, mater of fact - actually the strings need changing - they are practically ancient.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2005, 1:48 pm

What instrument(s) do you play? Drums

Why did you choose to start? Me and Danny decided to start a band

How long have you played for? About a year now

Is it a passion? A pastime? A profession? An outlet for emotions, or an alternative means of self-expression? All of the above

See www.thefinalcause.tk for more details, including some more band members (as a key note, all but 1 member of our band has AS)

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2005, 2:45 pm

I suppose I should update my gear list with my recent acquisitions, and I don't even care if anyone cares or not; 8)

(engage flash mode)

Ibanez TS-808 resissue
MXR Phase 90
Z Vex Seek Wah
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Pro Co Rat
Fulltone Distortion Pro
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss DD-5
Line 6 DL4
T.C. Electronics SCF Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress
Keeley Compressor
Digitech Whammy
Prescription Electronics Experience
Demeter TRM-1 Tremulator

(disengage flash mode)

An EQ and a noisegate are next on the list (DOD FX40B and ISP Technologies Decimator probably respectively), followed by a Z Vex Fuzz Factory and T-Rex Replica I reckon (you can't have enough fuzzes or delays I always say 8), and there's a Lovetone Meatball on ebay that's tempting the old fancy...... Auto-wah me baby..... Ahhhh.... that'll ease thoughts of the horrors of my day to day existence for at least a little while I suppose..... :cry:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2005, 7:50 pm

I began to teach myself guitar back in '83. I can also fill in with a bass, and I can fumble around on a piano. In the past few years however, I started to play drums ( pretty much out of necessity when mic'ing up a drumkit, and found that I learned how to drum quite quickly. I think at some point after I get another guitar rig, I might get a drumset as well. --It seems to be a good stress reliever as well.

Gear I've had in the past (from first to last)

Guitars:
Kent Les Paul copy
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha SBG 500
Acoustic Black Widow
Guild X-79
Hagstrom Swede
Washburn A-10
Fender Esprit
Ibanez Telecaster copy
Gibson Les Paul Junior (1958)
Washburn Les Paul Copy
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Special
Gibson SG

Effects:
Ibanez Digital Delay (forget the model, it was Pea Green)
Ibanez Super Distortion
Chandler Tube Driver
MXR Analogue Delay
DOD Flanger
DOD Anologue Delay
ART ProVerb
Alamo Spring Reverb
Boss OD-3 Overdrive
Boss Graphic EQ
Unicord Tape Echo

Amps/Cabs:
Sound City Mk3 100 watt/Acoustic 4x12
Lectrosionics 20watt practice combo from 50's-60's (found in the Garbage!)
Orange OR80 80watt/Orange 4x12
Fender Twin2(head)/Orange 4x12
Marshall JMP 50 watt 2x12 combo (1981)
Marshall 4140 100 watt 2x12 combo (1979)- See review @ http://www.harmonycentral.com
Laney Custom 50 1x12 Combo (1979???)
Line6 Pod.

lchadd_uk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2005, 7:22 am

I play...
Wait for it... *Takes a deep breath*

Piano
Keyboard
Harpsicord
Violin
Acoustic guitar
Bass guitar
Electric guitar
Drums
recorder
panpipes
tin whistle
clarinet

and I sing and compose my own random tunes.

*faints from lack of breath!! !* lol :lol:

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2005, 12:56 pm

you play far to much. Especially with danny :P

lchadd_uk

05 Jul 2005, 7:05 am

BlackLiger wrote:
you play far to much. Especially with danny :P

Excuse me!! !!
You cheeky little git!!
And don't give Danny any room to start being flirty with me!

Anyway I'm too busy playing Sam!! lmao :P