Ever cried at a movie/performance/show ?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 11:47 pm

No, but I have misted up a bit at - believe it or not - a comic book.

After 9/11, several comics dealt with the situation in metaphor - from Superman stopping the Brainiac 13 virus in Metropolis, to the "Avengers Disassembled" storyline in Marvel. But I only saw one mainstream comic willing to put its hero in that day - Amazing Spider-Man, written by J. Michael Straczynski (more famous for creating Babylon 5). The opening splash-panel showed Spidey, crouched atop another building, watching the second tower collapse before his unbelieving eyes. There were a lot of other good panels in there, both for the writing and for the portrayal of the Marvel superheroes helping as best they could (Thor and Colossus lifting a beam, while Wolverine and Cyclops cut through it; the Thing carting a massive chunk of rubble away from a buried victim; Daredevil directing firefighters toward survivors he can hear under the debris), but one piece in particular stuck with me for a long time.

Spider-Man drops beside a car, where a little boy is crouched on the sidewalk, next to a smashed storefront. "Son," he starts, "this isn't a safe place..."

The boy interrupts. "My daddy went into that store, and he said for a minute, and he said to wait right here, and if I wait right here it'll be okay, because I was a good boy, and..."

At that point the paramedics bring his father's body out on a gurney. The boy screams. All Peter can do is hold him.

And dammit, there I go again...

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

29 Apr 2007, 1:29 am

I'm not afraid to admit the Grey Havens get me every time.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 1:39 am

I laughed so hard when the guy dies at the end of Titanic that I think a tear came out of my eye.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 2:16 am

I cried in a few movies and tv series but mostly when involved with aspie-like characters.

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2007, 2:18 am

:( :( :( A few years ago at the performance of the Vagina Monologues.

Matt_the_Rat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2007, 11:03 am

I cried a lot during the funeral scene in RENT.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 5:47 pm

It's true, Imitation of Life gets me every time. Girl's sobbing her guts out, I guess she just takes me with her. The Grey Havens scene too, in Lord of the Rings... and even though I knew Gandalf was still alive I had to tear up during the scene where they were crying for him, as well as the scene where Sam hoisted Frodo in Mordor. Although that last one also embarrassed me a little.

I found the end of Titanic very sad indeed... the part where we saw the re-enactment of the disaster and the bodies in the water. I was for a while obsessed with the Titanic disaster but after seeing it re-created with such accuracy, I just felt kinda sick and wondered how I could have ever wanted to know so much about it. As to the two faux main characters and him "dying" and all... puh. Didn't much care. And when that horrible song played I started to envy the dead who couldn't hear it...

Celine Dion seems like a very nice lady but her singing voice could curdle milk at 100 paces.

I also tear up watching It's a Wonderful Life, the part where Mr. Gower hits George's sore ear. I just seem to weaken at the sight and sound of someone sobbing realistically. Well, that's part of it. I don't do it every time so I have to wonder what other elements are involved.

Oddly enough, I cry at musical performances that are live because something about the sight of groups of people performing in harmony moves me deeply. True unity so seldom seems to come off in life.

I don't just cry at things I see though, more distressing is how often I've felt shame or embarrassment at things I've seen. I can't bear to watch people behave in an embarrassing or undignified manner on a show or commercial. Y'know, like when you see people knocking each other down in their haste to get whatever product the commercial is selling.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2007, 9:14 pm

It kind of depends on how closely i get involved with a character in a movie. I cried in Rent and in When A Man Loves A Woman. I guess it all depends. It also depends on when I feel like watching a very sad movie as well.

Michaelmas
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2007, 7:40 pm

No, I never have, but rather wish I could (I think it would make me more human/less vulcan).

I did become very depressed after reading Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure, having identified so much with the eponymous character (and very depressed when Steerpike was killed off by Titus Groan in the Gormenghast books, likewise Simon especially so, and Piggy in Lord of the Flies - but shock brought that on in each case - , and following the death of Carl Orff);

Michaelmas

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2007, 11:59 pm

Music and movies make me cry all the time.
I'm extremely emotional yet extremely unemotional often as well.

I'm a study in contradictions..

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 2:02 am

I cry in movies all the time. "Hotel Rwanda" made me cry the most. Other ones that got me really teary were "The Fountain," "Unleashed," "Schindler's List," "Edward Scissorhands," and "Jacob's Ladder."

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2007, 3:33 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
I laughed so hard when the guy dies at the end of Titanic that I think a tear came out of my eye.

in the last matrix movie i laughed after trinity died, until the bit with the giant robot thing

the Jurassic bark episode of futurama made me cry .... then i felt bad cus i dont cry at funerals

Stickinthemud
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2007, 5:45 pm

mouapp wrote:
the Jurassic bark episode of futurama made me cry

Saddest cartoon-ending EVER.

I don't think I have ever cried at a movie, but have been kind of 'emotionally affected' by a few. Like Requiem for a Dream, for instance.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 2:11 am

Stickinthemud wrote:
mouapp wrote:
the Jurassic bark episode of futurama made me cry

Saddest cartoon-ending EVER.

I don't think I have ever cried at a movie, but have been kind of 'emotionally affected' by a few. Like Requiem for a Dream, for instance.

I think the final episode of Cowboy Bebop is even sadder. OK, another one that made me cry.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:19 pm

I forgot about Jurassic Bark. :cry:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 8:43 pm

regularly