Page 2 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 12:42 pm

Emo as in "emotive punk" usually sounds to me like hardcore punk rockers branching out into more obscure styles of alternative rock, like Fugazi. I like some of it a lot, some of it goes into a sort of hardcore blur.

I have no idea what "emo" is in terms of emo pop. I guess it's like people using the term "goth" in terms of "mall goth" music, I think it's more distinguished by the clothes that people wear than the music they listen to.

aethra
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2008, 6:23 pm

MCR are ridiculously overrated, and I get stared at whenever I say so.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 10:07 am

Emos make me sick. They are just sexually dissatisfied teenagers who want to be "rebels". And their music proves this.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 1:39 pm

They're just kids. Why care so much about it? They're not necessarily harming anyone.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 2:06 pm

Sell out is punk. The manic street prechers said this years ago. I've never had an album of their that doen't have something on it that I like.

Some of the best music could be termed sell out, if you were so inclined. It is not as if the 1950's cruners were any less of a sell out than bands today.

People who who obsess about selling out, are intelectual snobs and hypocrites.

Selling out can give you more freedom if you manage it well. Badly Drawn Boy is a good example.

Emo isn't really that specific. It never was. It is a lose term to describe various scenes at various time and various places.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 3:00 pm

aethra wrote:

MCR, like Nivana before them, are overrated by their fans and underrated by everbody else.

Take a look at these supposed emo bands. I say supposed because what is now emo is now the emo I listen to, which goes back as far as Fugazi, up to Weezer and even as recently as Rival Schools or Glassjaw, it is what is now known as emo.

Band #1. Fall Out Boy.
Band #2. My Chemical Romance.

Band #1. Predominantly average pop-punk which occasional sparks of greatness like 'Sugar, We're Going Down,' which is a fantastically catchy, well-written pop song and like good pop should, it annoys as many people as it enthrals.
Band #2. Conceptual albums. Mix pop punk with piano ballads, metal, strings, allsorts of s**t.

Band #1. Videos consist of a dude with antlers, making out with girls in a hotel room and other such things.
Band #2. Become the characters from their most recent conceptual albums, and as such participate in much darker, more thougthful videos, not least of which is the WWII themed 'Ghost Of You.'

Band #1. Live shows are mediocre at best.
Band #2. Put their heart and soul into every note.

MCR may not be the greatest band ever like so many people think they are, and I'm not a big fan of them myself. However, I do respect them. They got stuck with a tag, and so they deliberately went against it, they changed the way they dressed, their artwork, created concepts and characters. They've grown beyond the emo-punk which, say, Fall Out Boy are still peddling.

MCR deserve better than they get from the people that hate them.

As for selling out - I would sell out in a second. My principles are my own, and I don't give a damn what fans think of them if they're going to turn their back just because an artist wants to feed their family.

BitsandWires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2008, 6:16 am

Come on guys .. this should be the one place where people understand.

"Emo" is just a popular music counter culture. The same with Rock (Elvis era), Hair Bands, Punk, Nirvana, ect ect ect

To sit around bashing people is blatantly ret*d. That statement may be redundant.

It's now a broad label given to many bands. Many people are cashing in on this, just as it always was. The people pushing the music you see in videos are 40+. The pioneers that influenced the sound are genuine artists, and a few always emerge that fit into the spectrum but define their own niche.
After this is over something else will emerge and the cycle starts over again.

Just remember people are buying into the image. Not the music. There will always be good music, you just have to learn where to look. And people today have no excuse not to look.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 3:56 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
aethra wrote:

MCR, like Nivana before them, are overrated by their fans and underrated by everbody else.

Take a look at these supposed emo bands. I say supposed because what is now emo is now the emo I listen to, which goes back as far as Fugazi, up to Weezer and even as recently as Rival Schools or Glassjaw, it is what is now known as emo.

Band #1. Fall Out Boy.
Band #2. My Chemical Romance.

Band #1. Predominantly average pop-punk which occasional sparks of greatness like 'Sugar, We're Going Down,' which is a fantastically catchy, well-written pop song and like good pop should, it annoys as many people as it enthrals.
Band #2. Conceptual albums. Mix pop punk with piano ballads, metal, strings, allsorts of sh**.

Band #1. Videos consist of a dude with antlers, making out with girls in a hotel room and other such things.
Band #2. Become the characters from their most recent conceptual albums, and as such participate in much darker, more thougthful videos, not least of which is the WWII themed 'Ghost Of You.'

Band #1. Live shows are mediocre at best.
Band #2. Put their heart and soul into every note.

MCR may not be the greatest band ever like so many people think they are, and I'm not a big fan of them myself. However, I do respect them. They got stuck with a tag, and so they deliberately went against it, they changed the way they dressed, their artwork, created concepts and characters. They've grown beyond the emo-punk which, say, Fall Out Boy are still peddling.

MCR deserve better than they get from the people that hate them.

As for selling out - I would sell out in a second. My principles are my own, and I don't give a damn what fans think of them if they're going to turn their back just because an artist wants to feed their family.

You got it right on the head.
Right now, there's only a few real emo bands (The Starting Line, Straylight Run, Say Anything, Ludo) that formed this decade.

I will also say this: Panic at the Disco are NOT an emo band. They're also not pop punk. They are an alternative rock band. This of course does not mean they're any good. I saw them live opening up for The Dresden Dolls (who have a great taste in opening acts, as the other time I saw them live, Regina Spektor opened). They had one song that was excellent ("The Only Difference....") and a bunch of other ones that were middling. So far, i've only heard one other good song from Panic ("Northern Downpour").

Death Cab for Cutie are also not an emo band. They're indie rock. Yes, I know they're signed to Atlantic Records, but indie rock has a discernible sound and is not a status designation. Just because of "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" people think Death Cab is an emo band, but that's the only song like that in their catalog.

Names also have nothing to do with a band being emo. Groups like Dogs Die In Hot Cars, Darker My Love and Vampire Weekend have very indie names, but they're of completely different genres (ska/britpop, shoegazing, indie pop respectively).

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 7:30 pm

I have no issues with bands labelled as emo in itself, some bands I dislike allright but there's a few emo bands that I do like. I try to judge music on the sound and how it moves me, rather than on a label.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 9:34 pm

Emo bashing is a bigger cliche than emo itself. Who cares what music teenagers like to listen to.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2008, 5:37 am

BitsandWires wrote:
"Emo" is just a popular music counter culture. The same with Rock (Elvis era), Hair Bands, Punk, Nirvana, ect ect ect

To sit around bashing people is blatantly ret*d. That statement may be redundant.

It's now a broad label given to many bands. Many people are cashing in on this, just as it always was. The people pushing the music you see in videos are 40+. The pioneers that influenced the sound are genuine artists, and a few always emerge that fit into the spectrum but define their own niche.
After this is over something else will emerge and the cycle starts over again.

Just remember people are buying into the image. Not the music. There will always be good music, you just have to learn where to look. And people today have no excuse not to look.

excellent post, i agree entirely

also being hated is part of the image, insulting them only feeds it

besides the whole thing is nearly dead now, im out of high school so im not in touch with the whole thing anymore and frankly i dont care but the people dressed basically like emos call themselves "scean kids" now and mostly listen to BS they call "metalcore"

witch reminds me, even though its already been covered
DONT CALL EVERYTHING DEATH METAL WHEN YOU DONT KNOW WHAT DEATH METAL IS
seriously pisses me off
http://www.last.fm/tag/death%20metal/wiki

RustyShackleford
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2008, 5:57 am

I have never really been that sure what Emo is officially, just looked it up on Wikipedia and it turns out that some awesome bands are considered Emo.

For example I love-

The Get Up Kids
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgFMYiyrmbU[/youtube]

At the Drive In
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzcjQq1llw[/youtube]

Jimmy Eat World
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3RHw2KFkc[/youtube]

Texas is the Reason (Excuse the poor sound on the filming)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Zl9sGcO84[/youtube]

The Promise Ring
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srU0xhkfIFw[/youtube]

I am not ashamed. These bands all have awesome tunes which speak for themselves.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 7:26 am

Add Tokio Hotel to that. I even have bought their latest album :oops:

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 12:14 pm

Ah yes here's my timeline of emo:

DocStrange wrote:
For one here's what the timeline of Emo is (this doesn't include every band but gives you a good idea):

1st Wave: Rites of Spring, Fugazi
2nd Wave: Sunny Day Real Estate, Pinkerton era-Weezer (unconsciously), early Modest Mouse, Cursive MK1 (1995-1998), Texas is the Reason
3rd Wave: Jimmy Eat World, Promise Ring, Braid, Cursive MK2 (1999-present), pre-CassadagaBright Eyes, At the Drive-In, Piebald
4th Wave: Blood Brothers, The Starting Line, Say Anything, Straylight Run, Sparta, Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.
"Emo" (around the same time as 4th wave and makes it hard to distinguish between the two. This is the fake emo that most people identify as being apart of the genre): My Chemical Romance, Senses Fail, Hawthorne Heights, Fall Out Boy, The Spill Canvas, Madina Lake, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Under debate: Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional,
Not Emo: Panic at the Disco (this of course doesn't mean they're any good), Coheed & Cambria (are a prog rock band), Modest Mouse after The Moon & Antarctica

The "emo" bands are similar to the numerous post-grunge acts that flooded alternative rock airwaves after the success of Nirvana, Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam (the big 5 of Seattle). These "post-grunge" bands are bands like Candlebox, Live, Collective Soul and other bands that mean absolutely nothing today (and some like The Toadies and Cake that survived and proved to be successful and critically acclaimed). What happened was that after Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American became huge, labels snapped up every band that sounded similar to them. This is how Fall Out Boy - whose first two albums were alright - suddenly made a huge jump to fake emo. The same thing happened to "grungy" sounding acts after Nirvana hit in '91, Pop-punk acts after Green Day hit in '94, and in Britain (with better results), "britpop" acts after the success of the Stone Roses in '89 (this of course gave rise to Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Radiohead and Supergrass. Great bands all. This is basically the only time that a rush like this resulted in a good thing in the past 20 years).

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 12:25 pm

At the Drive In - One Armed Scissor (live on Letterman. Pwns all fake emo)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caEYU9_hAlo&feature=related[/youtube]

This is a great example of actual emo. I don't see how MCR is even in their league. I really don't.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 2:28 pm

mouapp wrote:
witch reminds me, even though its already been covered
DONT CALL EVERYTHING DEATH METAL WHEN YOU DONT KNOW WHAT DEATH METAL IS
seriously pisses me off
http://www.last.fm/tag/death%20metal/wiki

Yeah, I forgot to add this to my post.