Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2005, 5:49 am

A point must be stated; popular music is an elclectic genre that encompasses genres as diverse as Electro, Garage Rock, Country music and so on.
You simply cannot disregard all popular music as often it has had a profound effect on many of the genres of other musicians.
A good example would be Gary Numan. Marilyn Manson, NIN, and Fear Factory have all covered music by Gary Numan.
I just really hate this idealogy that all popular music is Busted, Green Day and Linkim Park when it really isn't.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 8:51 am

well the thing you need to know about pop music is
pop is bad mkay
and it sucks

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2005, 9:57 am

I would so alot of power metal would be considered pop music. Ozzy Osbourne without an inch of doubt is a pop star.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 11:04 am

ramsamsam wrote:
I would so alot of power metal would be considered pop music. Ozzy Osbourne without an inch of doubt is a pop star.

your thinking pop as popular
im think pop as a kind of music i mean you can be in a pop band and only 9 people know you

-------

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 12:13 pm

You don't think Foo Fighters is pop?!? :?

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 12:16 pm

Pop: The True Definition- Any music by any band released in the past fifty years by a band which the person defining pop does not personally enjoy or endorse, if the person defining pop a. does not consider themselevs to listen to pop b. believes pop to b "bad music" and c. considers themselves to have "good taste in music."

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 12:22 pm

This is a forum of people with different and diverse tastes and opinions, so you can't come here and say "stop talking about pop, talk about good music!! !" because what you consider "good music" is not necessarily what others consider "good music". You don't own the forum. Ah, and welcome...

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 12:38 pm

In the 18th century, pop was what we now call classical, so that said, in the 22nd century, the pop of today will be called less-classical. I think to avoid the confusion let's define a new genre of music called Cash Pop, artists/producers who produce music mainly for financial gain. I refuse to play Cash Pop on my radio show, and play some Pop and Dylan handles the metal, Jo handles the punk, Bren handles the classics and I play a little bit of everything (Except Cash Pop yuk)

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 1:03 pm

AbominableSnoCone wrote:

NO
they are Hard Rock Period(.)

-------

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 4:30 pm

TheViking wrote:
AbominableSnoCone wrote:

NO
they are Hard Rock Period(.)

Some people believe that "pop" means music that is catchy and marketable, both of which the Foo Fighters have in spades.

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2005, 4:49 pm

I read somewhere recently that Nirvana has taken the throne to "Pop" kings replacing Michael Jackson. Not 100% if this is true...but if so ...how strange.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 9:28 pm

blackdove wrote:
I read somewhere recently that Nirvana has taken the throne to "Pop" kings replacing Michael Jackson. Not 100% if this is true...but if so ...how strange.

that means they became more popular.
but when i think of pop i think of music thats mellow or extremely radiofreindly somethink that is not heavy or something like kelly clarkson and you wouldnt put her in the same catogory with nirvana. you dont have to be popular to be pop or pop music.

-------

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2005, 12:20 am

I always thought of Pop as a sound, like Rock or Rap. Sometihng like N*SYNC, Michael Jackson, Spice Girls, etc. Anytihng catchy with smooth vocals and generally happy or inspirational lyrics. Unless you mean Pop as in popular.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2005, 12:54 am

It seems to me that some people need to get over the fact that there are people who enjoy pop. Personally, I like some music that could be considered pop and dislike others. Not all of it is the same. It's pretty shallow to dislike an entire category of music, when all the music in that cateogory is so different.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2005, 4:10 am

I agree with the definition that Serissa stated. I believe even "Release the bats" by Nick Cave could be considered a pop single.
Mjs82 has pretty much hit the target. Though I think pop can be split in a multitude of subgenres that vary drastically.
One thing that really murders me is this elite notion that dance music is not worthy of being considered to be music because the artists have utilised technology. This strikes me as a very hypocritical idealogy to adhere too, as all music requires the use of technology to aid their performance to an extent.
Whether this is the folk troubador using a neck holster for his harmonica or norwegian death metal guitarist who uses a pitch shifter and fuzz box.
Technology is essiential to sound of music and people should realise that to say using a sampler is a dreadful crime then proceed to saturate their guitars in a multitude of effects is double standards.
I just though I'd state that point, just before you say something like ''Oh, don't you know Britney Spears* voice is pitch contolled" or "But, it all sounds the same and this people arn't unique because they use samples from other songs".

*I was only using Briteny Spears as an example, I am not a fan of her music.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2005, 9:33 am

Sarcastic_Name wrote:

I always thought of Pop as a sound, like Rock or Rap. Sometihng like N*SYNC, Michael Jackson, Spice Girls, etc. Anytihng catchy with smooth vocals and generally happy or inspirational lyrics. Unless you mean Pop as in popular.

exactly

-------