Any 70's and 80's music lovers here?

Page 11 of 13 [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2024, 10:15 am

A song that would sink and then resurface more than once, morph, and finally...kickoff the start of a whole new music genre.

A literally "unsung" (all instrumental) song called "Apache".

Originally a hit in 1960 by "the Shadows".

https://youtu.be/QhIs1k8yuPU

Kinda of a rocknroll riff on what Hollywood thinks that Native American music sounds like(purely contrived). But actually kinda cool in its own cheesy way. It was soon covered by other groups. But most famously by the Ventures, who turned into California surf music in 1964.

https://youtu.be/ClYdDcc8pPA

Forgotten, it was revived a decade later in 1973 for the soundtrack of a movie by Brit Micheal Viner and his "Incredible Bongo Band".

https://youtu.be/WY-Z6wm6TMQ

Awesome dance track, and great stadium anthem.

According to legend DJ Kool Herc sampled the funky break in the middle...extended it into long song of it own...invited guests at the bloc party to talk in rhythm over it on the mic...and...invented rap and hip hop at that one party in 1973.

Maybe. Maybe not. But starting with Grandmaster Flash countless rappers have sampled it in the five decades since.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2024, 4:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Kinda of a rocknroll riff on what Hollywood thinks that Native American music sounds like(purely contrived). But actually kinda cool in its own cheesy way. It was soon covered by other groups. But most famously by the Ventures, who turned into California surf music in 1964.

https://youtu.be/ClYdDcc8pPA

Speaking of faux Indian Riffs

Now for an actual Native American band

Their big hit

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2024, 5:34 pm

Wait a minute.^

The band "Redbone" consisted of actual "Native Americans". I thought. So wouldnt their rocknroll be authentic?

Unlike your first pic, and unlike this (admittedly fun) piece:

https://youtu.be/N4ge_RK1hdw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 10:09 am

40 years ago the MTV Video Music Awards began. Unlike the more prestigious staid Grammy Awards the VMA’s is a hang loose affair with moments that are controversial and get people talking. The tone was set back in ‘84 at the very first awards show by Madonna. While both VMA’s and Madonna have had many many OMG moments since, four decades later Madonna’s exhibition remains the VMA’s defining performance.

I remember watching it on my 19” Sharp color TV.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 11:57 am

Had the most unexpected experience, while taking a Speedwalk atound Lake Hollywood resevoir. ..When I saw an unfamiliar large dark person ...bouncer like .And this area was a area of High snootyness factor ..And I saw Modonna on this speed walk Carrying her new baby ....and her giant body guard . She smiled nodded , I nodded back and just went on....But got to see her no make up, and as a average person. :D ..Was a fan long ago . :)

where ever you go ,there you are

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 12:01 pm

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 11:31 pm

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 11:36 pm

If you can get through the 8+ minutes, this one is different, but very early-mid 70s:

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 4:27 am

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 4:41 am

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 4:51 am

Van Halen was amazing

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 5:08 am

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 6:34 pm

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 1:43 pm

Brian0787 wrote:

This was great when it was released, still great today...imho...ty for posting :D

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 3:05 pm

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2024, 6:04 pm