Page 12 of 16 [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

do you like Heavy metal music
Yes, 37%  37%  [ 104 ]
Yes, 42%  42%  [ 119 ]
no, 10%  10%  [ 28 ]
no, 11%  11%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 282

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
ForeignObject wrote:
I'm gonna piss a lot of people off here, but I can't stand heavy metal music. It's not really the music that turned me off to it, but the fans of it. They were always snobbish and stuck-up. They acted like they were better than you because they didn't want to fraternize with the likes of us non-rock loving people. I'm not talking about the emo bunch or the loners (as an aspie, I understand wanting to be left alone sometimes), I'm talking about the ones who act like anyone who doesn't like rock is pathetic.

Even though I love metal, I agree that some of the more stuck-up fans can be pretty annoying. I listen to what I like, and a lot of the stuff I like isn't even metal at all. And even when it comes to metal, I'd much rather listen to something good like Metallica, than some random flavor-of-the-week br00tal slam-death band that sounds the exact same as 999999999 other bands.

Unfortunately, since Metallica has some mainstream popularity, a lot of metalheads s**t on them for being "sellouts". I won't deny that Metallica has sold out a few times, but they still make awesome music, and really, the way that they have experimented with all sorts of styles and genres over the years, it's hard to truly call them "sellouts" compared to all the other bands who keep playing the same thing over and over to please their fans. I only wish the mastering on Death Magnetic weren't so terrible, but that's Rick Rubin's fault.

Sorry, I kinda got off track there. :P

I did not like any of their more recent stuff, there is music of theirs I have enjoyed but they did change it up quite a lot and in my opinion for the worst. But I don't care if others also enjoy their more recent stuff I just don't, it just isn't the same like they just totally ditched the thrash metal.

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2014, 2:18 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
ForeignObject wrote:
I'm gonna piss a lot of people off here, but I can't stand heavy metal music. It's not really the music that turned me off to it, but the fans of it. They were always snobbish and stuck-up. They acted like they were better than you because they didn't want to fraternize with the likes of us non-rock loving people. I'm not talking about the emo bunch or the loners (as an aspie, I understand wanting to be left alone sometimes), I'm talking about the ones who act like anyone who doesn't like rock is pathetic.

Even though I love metal, I agree that some of the more stuck-up fans can be pretty annoying. I listen to what I like, and a lot of the stuff I like isn't even metal at all. And even when it comes to metal, I'd much rather listen to something good like Metallica, than some random flavor-of-the-week br00tal slam-death band that sounds the exact same as 999999999 other bands.

Unfortunately, since Metallica has some mainstream popularity, a lot of metalheads s**t on them for being "sellouts". I won't deny that Metallica has sold out a few times, but they still make awesome music, and really, the way that they have experimented with all sorts of styles and genres over the years, it's hard to truly call them "sellouts" compared to all the other bands who keep playing the same thing over and over to please their fans. I only wish the mastering on Death Magnetic weren't so terrible, but that's Rick Rubin's fault.

I did not like any of their more recent stuff, there is music of theirs I have enjoyed but they did change it up quite a lot and in my opinion for the worst. But I don't care if others also enjoy their more recent stuff I just don't, it just isn't the same like they just totally ditched the thrash metal.

^this

If you want to go this far, Metallica haven't been good since Cliff death imo.

When its come to stuck up metal fans, you should go to any video on Youtube like one of Sodom albums and checked out the comments. Their be talking about Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth this and that out of nowhere instead of the actual band of the video. Its get really annoying.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 4:40 am

Is it strange that I still like Metallica even though I like some of the more extreme stuff too? Lately I've been getting into doom metal, stuff like Sunn O))) and Eyehategod.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:20 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Is it strange that I still like Metallica even though I like some of the more extreme stuff too? Lately I've been getting into doom metal, stuff like Sunn O))) and Eyehategod.

Drone and sludge, respectively, but both great bands. And no, it isn't strange at all. People can like different types of music. That's like saying "Is it strange that I still like rock music even though I like some metal music?".

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 7:35 am

Skibz888 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Drone and sludge, respectively, but both great bands. And no, it isn't strange at all. People can like different types of music. That's like saying "Is it strange that I still like rock music even though I like some metal music?".

Aren't drone, sludge, and doom metal all sort of variations of the same sort of thing? I know there are some differences, as sludge has hardcore punk influences, and drone is almost more like noise music than metal.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 8:50 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Aren't drone, sludge, and doom metal all sort of variations of the same sort of thing? I know there are some differences, as sludge has hardcore punk influences, and drone is almost more like noise music than metal.

Yes and no. They're all distinct corners cut from the same cloth. Doom metal traces its roots all the way back to early Black Sabbath and their use of slower tempos and lower tuning which set the precedent for many different sub-genres: among them, sludge being a more abrasive American evolution of doom mixed with harsher vocals and hardcore influences and drone being more minimalist and influenced by ambient music. They're all within the same spectrum but can be easily separated.

It's not that I'm snobby since I don't really listen to said sub-genres, I'm just really into genre characteristics and categorizations as one of my obsessions, so don't feel like I'm picking on you.

Brung
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2014, 4:23 pm

ForeignObject wrote:

Cliques can be like that - defense mechanisms for inferiority/superioriry BS. Some sort of primal, like-minded group survival crap, or something.

The crowd I ran with (who were music friends basically) couldn't stand the so called "guidos" or "preppies". It was all jealous BS for the most part. Guido's drove the Iroc Camaros, Mustang GTs and such. Preppies had the Euro machines, Benz, BMW, jaguars, and such. We drove cars that were by and large jalopies. Stupid high school stuff.

Brung
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2014, 4:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
ForeignObject wrote:

When Metallica moved away from their heavy "crunch" sound, it felt like they got soft. They were on par with Slayer when it came to the full throttle sound. Their musics evolved, some good, some bad, IMO. Can't stand, Enter Sandman, not that I think it's bad, it's a bit commercial and hokey for my taste, but I don't begrudge anybody who likes it. Their old stuff is massive.

I think part of the "sellout" thing may have come from the whole Napster fiasco. But you really can't blame them for it. They deserve to be paid for their work/art. As for them selling out on their sound? Creating relevant art that appeals to the masses may not be appealing to non-pop artists. I give Metallica credit for doing what they like/want, even if it's not music that appeals greatly to me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:07 pm

MetalFist wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

^this

If you want to go this far, Metallica haven't been good since Cliff death imo.

When its come to stuck up metal fans, you should go to any video on Youtube like one of Sodom albums and checked out the comments. Their be talking about Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth this and that out of nowhere instead of the actual band of the video. Its get really annoying.

Stuck up metal fans seem not to even really use the term metalhead and will even talk trash about 'metalheads' ...at least in my experience of having seen a couple comments and had arguments with those sorts online. Not to say there are not stuck up people that do claim the title metalhead...but seems like the stuck up ones think they are 'above' the subculture or whatever.

Regardless the stuck up ones do annoy me some, though people have accused me of being a 'metal elitist' because I don't think things like metalcore, grindcore, deathcore and whateverthehellelsecore are actually metal...and as far as I can tell most avid punk fans don't consider it punk either though initially I thought it may be a sort of punk since they have 'hardcore' punk...but I'd say perhaps these whatevercores are their own genre with punk and metal influence.

But I don't know i do not think it makes me a metal elititist really.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

ForeignObject wrote:

Well than its not the heavy metal you cannot stand, it is the fans you have encountered you cannot stand. It is unfortunate anyone has to be snobbish or stuck up....I personally don't think people are pathetic if they don't like rock I mean I cannot rationalize how someone could entirely dislike all rock, but it doesn't make them pathetic. But to each their own.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:44 pm

Brung wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
ForeignObject wrote:

When Metallica moved away from their heavy "crunch" sound, it felt like they got soft. They were on par with Slayer when it came to the full throttle sound. Their musics evolved, some good, some bad, IMO. Can't stand, Enter Sandman, not that I think it's bad, it's a bit commercial and hokey for my taste, but I don't begrudge anybody who likes it. Their old stuff is massive.

I think part of the "sellout" thing may have come from the whole Napster fiasco. But you really can't blame them for it. They deserve to be paid for their work/art. As for them selling out on their sound? Creating relevant art that appeals to the masses may not be appealing to non-pop artists. I give Metallica credit for doing what they like/want, even if it's not music that appeals greatly to me.

They did get soft after "...And Justice for All", or you could arguably say that they REALLY started to get soft after Cliff Burton died, but at least they were experimenting and trying new things, not just trying to be heavier than the other bands around like they used to. So I agree, they do deserve credit for doing what they like/want, even if it doesn't appeal to everybody.

When they were at the height of their experimental period, from the late 90s (Load) to the early 2000s (St. Anger), they transcended themselves in so many different ways, by playing everything from blues rock to symphonic metal and punk covers, and even an experimental neo-thrash record.

To put it on record, I would rank St. Anger as one of my top 5 Metallica albums, alongside Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and Load. Well, actually I'm not quite sure if I'd pick ...And Justice For All, or the Black Album. The Black Album has a better good song/filler ratio, but ...And Justice For All is just more personally significant to me, it showed me what Metallica were capable of after years of mindless Megadeth worship.

Not that Megadeth is bad, I'm actually still somewhat a fan of theirs, and I think they're an entertaining band to listen to, but the fact is, they haven't done as much to push boundaries or reinvent themselves as Metallica have. They've been much more conservative when it comes to their sound, and the one time they really did try doing something completely different (Risk), it was a bomb that blew up in their faces.

Anyway, back on topic, I can't really blame Metallica for the Napster fiasco either, despite being someone who has obtained music from "unofficial" sources. I mean, something new came along that threatened their incomes, and they didn't know what to do about it, so they pursued legal action. Now do I think going after a huge list of the different sharers was excessive? Yes, but I do think they were somewhat justified in suing Napster itself. Maybe not quite "justified", because that would imply that I like their actions, but it's not like I condemn them either, it's more like I dislike, but accept them.

Brung
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2014, 6:14 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
They did get soft after "...And Justice for All", or you could say that they REALLY started to get soft after Cliff Burton died, but at least they were experimenting and trying new things, not just trying to be heavier than the other bands around like they used to. So I agree, they do deserve credit for doing what they like/want, even if it doesn't appeal to everybody.

When they were at the height of their experimental period, from the late 90s (Load) to the early 2000s (St. Anger), they transcended themselves in so many different ways, by playing everything from blues rock to symphonic metal and punk covers, and even an experimental neo-thrash record.

To put it on record, I would rank St. Anger as one of my top 5 Metallica albums, alongside Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and Load. Well, actually I'm not quite sure if I'd pick ...And Justice For All, or the Black Album. The Black Album has a better good song/filler ratio, but ...And Justice For All is just more personally significant to me, it showed me what Metallica were capable of after years of mindless Megadeth worship.

Not that Megadeth is bad, I'm actually still somewhat a fan of theirs, and I think they're an entertaining band to listen to, but the fact is, they haven't done as much to push boundaries or reinvent themselves as Metallica have. They've been much more conservative when it comes to their sound, and the one time they really did try doing something completely different (Risk), it was a bomb that blew up in their faces.

Anyway, back on topic, I can't really blame Metallica for the Napster fiasco either, despite being someone who has obtained music from "unofficial" sources. I mean, something new came along that threatened their incomes, and they didn't know what to do about it, so they pursued legal action. Now do I think going after a huge list of the different sharers was excessive? Yes, but I do think they were somewhat justified in suing Napster itself. Maybe not quite "justified", because that would imply that I like their actions, but it's not like I condemn them either, it's more like I dislike, but accept them

After Cliff died and they brought in Jason Newsted, from Flotsam and Jetsam, I was skeptical. You're right, Cliff was a big loss, but I liked Newsted, he fit in well.

On Garage Days, which introduced Newsted after Cliff died they did all cover tunes, Budgies - Breadfan, my favorite they blew it down! Newsted proved he belonged.

As for being a Megadeath fan. Dave Mustaine showed how much of a badass he was after Metallica dismissed him from the band. He went out and built his own monster with Megadeath. Granted it's hard to evolve when band members come and go, they don't get a chance to become cohesive, evolve as individuals within a stable group, like Metallica did. But personally I respect Mustaine.

BassAlien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2014, 6:20 pm

Yes I do like heavy music! The heavier the better, usually.

I actually posted about this a few days ago - how heavy music often has complex multi-layered patterns going on, and that really does a lot for me.

I am listening to Deathspell Omega right now, if that means anything to anyone :-P

Brung
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2014, 6:43 pm

BassAlien wrote:
Yes I do like heavy music! The heavier the better, usually.

I actually posted about this a few days ago - how heavy music often has complex multi-layered patterns going on, and that really does a lot for me.

I am listening to Deathspell Omega right now, if that means anything to anyone :-P

Cool. :) It's good that metal makes you feel that way. Not sure who Deathspell Omega is, but I'm going to check them out later when I get a chance.

Any songs you can recommend as an intro to them?

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2014, 6:46 pm

For the most part, no. I'm meh on heavy metal. I don't hate it, I just never particularly loved it or anything. Doesn't mean I won't listen to some metal songs that I've gotten to like.

Definitely more of a 1990s hip-hop/rap person (no, not the s**t that plays on radios today).

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2014, 8:24 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Stuck up metal fans seem not to even really use the term metalhead and will even talk trash about 'metalheads' ...at least in my experience of having seen a couple comments and had arguments with those sorts online. Not to say there are not stuck up people that do claim the title metalhead...but seems like the stuck up ones think they are 'above' the subculture or whatever.

Regardless the stuck up ones do annoy me some, though people have accused me of being a 'metal elitist' because I don't think things like metalcore, grindcore, deathcore and whateverthehellelsecore are actually metal...and as far as I can tell most avid punk fans don't consider it punk either though initially I thought it may be a sort of punk since they have 'hardcore' punk...but I'd say perhaps these whatevercores are their own genre with punk and metal influence.

But I don't know i do not think it makes me a metal elititist really.

It doesn't.

Sweetleaf wrote:

Well than its not the heavy metal you cannot stand, it is the fans you have encountered you cannot stand. It is unfortunate anyone has to be snobbish or stuck up....I personally don't think people are pathetic if they don't like rock I mean I cannot rationalize how someone could entirely dislike all rock, but it doesn't make them pathetic. But to each their own.

The fans have turned me off to heavy metal music. I've hardly ever met one that wasn't a little snooty, but that could be just me. There was a guy earlier who said that he encountered something similar like that in high school, but I understand that and agree that that can happen with all types of genres, music or otherwise. But the older I get, the more rock fans tended to stay the same.

I dated an ex who was a huge country music fan and I would often borrow his shirts. The reason why I bring this up is because someone told me that rock fans hate country music, but I have hardly found a country music fan who hated heavy metal. Sure, they are out there and I'm sure some of you have met more than your fair share, but the ones I hung around with embraced all kinds of music, even rap. But like I said earlier, that could be just me.

I never said that I dislike all rock, just heavy metal and it's sub-genres. I'm not saying that you Sweetleaf are a snob or anything like that. If you like it, then that's great and I hope you enjoy the hell out of it. I'm not gonna hate you for that, but it's not my cup of tea.