Page 114 of 302 [ 4831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 302  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

Jory wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I own The Lurker In The Lobby, and it's indeed a great, very fun book about the Lovecraftian influence on cinema. I only wish an updated edition would be released, including any Lovecraft inspired movies that have since been released.

When's your edition from? Amazon tells me there's one from 2000 and one from 2006. I bought the latter. They have different covers:

Mine is the 2006 edition. I hadn't known there had been an earlier publication. I'd still like to see something updated - I think there may have been something produced that had been inspired by the "Sage Of Providence."

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mine is the 2006 edition. I hadn't known there had been an earlier publication. I'd still like to see something updated - I think there may have been something produced that had been inspired by the "Sage Of Providence."

The only adaptations I'm aware of that have been made since 2006 are the 2007 movie Cthulhu, a 2009 version of The Dunwich Horror, and an adaptation of The Whisperer in Darkness made by the same people responsible for the 2005 silent film version of The Call of Cthulhu. The latter is listed as having been made in 2011, but I don't think it's even been released yet. Also, the IMDb lists a bunch of short films based on his writing having been recently made, but I don't know when, if, or how they've been released.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 8:51 pm

Jory wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The only adaptations I'm aware of that have been made since 2006 are the 2007 movie Cthulhu, a 2009 version of The Dunwich Horror, and an adaptation of The Whisperer in Darkness made by the same people responsible for the 2005 silent film version of The Call of Cthulhu. The latter is listed as having been made in 2011, but I don't think it's even been released yet. Also, the IMDb lists a bunch of short films based on his writing having been recently made, but I don't know when, if, or how they've been released.

I was having a brain fart, so I couldn't recall the more recent movies - even though I own Cthulhu!
And the remake of The Dunwich Horror seriously remains best forgotten.
And I would absolutely kill to see The Whisperer In Darkness, as I've been waiting forever for it to come out on DVD.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Sextaesada
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 9:39 am

Y: The Last Man is a comic book series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra published by Vertigo beginning in 2002. The series is about the only man to survive the apparent simultaneous death of every male mammal (barring the same man's pet monkey) on Earth. The series was published in sixty issues by Vertigo and collected in a series of ten paperback volumes (and later a series of five hardcover "Deluxe" volumes). The series' covers were primarily by J. G. Jones and Massimo Carnevale. The series received five Eisner Awards.

Cochise
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2012, 9:55 am

I'm reading a bio of Tom Waits written by Patrick Humphries. It's ok, but he strikes me as a lazy writer. He certainly seems to be a fan of Waits but makes lots of mistakes.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 12:05 pm

skins: summer holiday

I'm a fan of the tv show so I just had to read it :/

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 3:05 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:

There are Skins books?

How am I supposed to ogle the sexy teenagers? :?

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2012, 6:45 pm

Scott McCloud- "Understanding Comics" & "Making Comics"

There are loads of books out there which teach you to draw in the style of DC, Marvel or Manga comics but there are very few books that teach you the language of comics!

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2012, 6:46 pm

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

KyushuFez
Raven
Raven

04 Jan 2012, 2:22 am

Going Solo by Roald Dahl

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 2:57 am

Jory wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:

There are Skins books?

How am I supposed to ogle the sexy teenagers? :?

Lol yeah. They actually put in photo's of each character at the front and back to keep you interested for a while.

To be honest though the second book (the one I'm reading) isn't very good. Focuses on generation 3 but they exclude Matty entirely and focus the story on Mini (thoroughly unlikeable) and to a lesser extent Alo, with brief cameos from the rest and some tacked on Franky side story (which happened to be the best part, but whatever).

crazyaboutbooks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

im reading look me in the eye by john robison its awsome

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:26 pm

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
Originally Published: 2009
pg. 118/925

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
Originally Published: 2009
pg. 118/925

118 out of what? Good lord.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:49 pm

I'm about 300 pages or so into The First Man in Rome... It really is good, but I needed a break.

Besides a bunch of comics (including an excellent adaptation (with full text) of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?), I'm rereading the Barsoom series in preparation for the John Carter film.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

Strange. The Lovecraft book that I bought arrived, but it has a slightly different cover and title than what's shown on Amazon. Their picture and title is on the left, and what arrived is on the right.

Amazon lists it as The Lurker in the Lobby: The Guide to Lovecraftian Cinema, but the latter title is Lurker in the Lobby: A Guide to the Cinema of H. P. Lovecraft.

I'm obsessed. Look at all these damn books I have about films based on my favorite authors' books:

Lurker in the Lobby: A Guide to the Cinema of H. P. Lovecraft
Counterfeit Worlds: Philip K. Dick on Film
Future Imperfect: Philip K. Dick at the Movies
Holmes of the Movies: The Screen Career of Sherlock Holmes
Starring Sherlock Holmes: A Century of the Master Detective on Screen
England's Secret Weapon: The Wartime Films of Sherlock Holmes

And I'll be adding Sherlock Holmes on Screen: The Complete Film and TV History when it's released later this month.

Why is there no book about the films based on Dashiell Hammett's books? The closest I can find is a book about the Thin Man films. There's also something called Discovering The Maltese Falcon and Sam Spade: The Evolution of Dashiell Hammett's Masterpiece, Including John Huston's Movie with Humphrey Bogart. There are a shedload of books about film noir in general; surely Hammett must be covered there.

And no book about films based on Patricia Highsmith's books! I could write an entire book about the Tom Ripley films, let alone movies like Strangers on a Train and The Cry of the Owl.