Page 115 of 302 [ 4831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 302  Next

Georgia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2012, 9:57 pm

Today I ordered a book called The Melancholy of Resistance by Lazlo Krasznahorkai

Also pecking away at Janet Frame's autobiography.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2012, 11:08 pm

Handbuch der Heraldik: Wappenfibel - Adolf M. Hildebrandt

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 3:53 pm

Prador Moon, Shadow of the Scorpion, Gridlinked, The Line of Polity.
I will divert from reading through the complete works of Neal Asher to The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo (sic) - exactly what it says on the tin. It's probably terrible ("Lizbreath Salamander") but I couldn't resist. :D

The year is still young.

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 8:40 pm

I've been reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess for over a year now. I find it difficult reading books but do try sometimes.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 8:45 pm

NeXus_Blueliner wrote:
I've been reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess for over a year now. I find it difficult reading books but do try sometimes.

If you have difficulty reading books, A Clockwork Orange is pretty far down on the list of ones that I would recommend.

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 9:00 pm

Jory wrote:
NeXus_Blueliner wrote:

If you have difficulty reading books, A Clockwork Orange is pretty far down on the list of ones that I would recommend.

I think having watched the film a lot it makes this an easier one for me to read. It's not so much that I have trouble reading, I just become easily distracted and can never really picture what's going on. I'm just not much of a fan of fiction. With books like A Clockwork Orange, The Godfather, Harry Potter etc, it's the films that get me through them. I just try to broaden my reading but like I said, not really a fan of fiction. I should probably stop trying to force it on myself.

Edit: I should also add that I mostly try reading books due to a girl I like that loves to read and it's mostly to impress her, which does seem kinda daft :lol:

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

NeXus_Blueliner wrote:
Edit: I should also add that I mostly try reading books due to a girl I like that loves to read and it's mostly to impress her, which does seem kinda daft :lol:

Not daft at all – unless she tries to get you to read Twilight. :eew:

Niniel
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

I am reading A Dance With Dragons, book five in the ''A Song of Ice and Fire'' series by George R. R. Martin.

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2012, 9:21 pm

Jory wrote:
NeXus_Blueliner wrote:

Not daft at all – unless she tries to get you to read Twilight. :eew:

Lmao saying that, she did actually used to read the Twilight books. Never got me to try, thankfully :wink:

John_lzhc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2012, 5:44 pm

Anathem by Neal Stephenson
page 360 of 981

And

Snuff by Terry Pratcett
page 345 of 378

Also dipping in and out of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes on the internet (hurah for project Gutenberg!) when I need something on the screen so I can knit without holding a book.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

The whole The Adventures of Tintin series, by Hergé. Currently, I am reading Tintin and the Broken Ear.

The first two volumes (Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin in Congo are really badly drawn and written pieces of propaganda (Hergé himself would later admit it), but the third volume, Tintin in America, was a significant improvement over them and, by the fifth story, Tintin and the Blue Lotus, Hergé achieved the high standards he was known for.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 3:30 am

Sorry for the tl;dr post, but I am very happy that I'm reading again and I'm excited to share my joy with others who share my passion.

Mortal Engines (Book 1 out of 4 in the Mortal Engines Quartet AKA Hungry City Chronicles series)
Philip Reeve (Author)
Progress: pg. 233/310

I tried reading this book last year, but didn't have the motivation to finish it. This year I wanted to make reading my hobby again - like it used to be before I got access to the Internet - so I am making a habit of reading for at least an hour (usually more) every morning after I first wake up and every night after everyone else goes to sleep.

I am amazed at the amount of progress I've made in such a short amount of time; I checked the book out of the library on Wednesday and it's now the wee hours of the morning on Saturday. I'm only 77 pages away from being finished.

I've also checked out the 2nd book in the series, Predator's Gold, along with The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. I was originally intending to read all 4 Mortal Engines books in one go, but the 3rd and 4th books were checked out of the library when I went to get them. I saw The Anubis Gates out of the corner of my eye and remembered that I had written it down in my list of books I wanted to read, so I figured "Why not?" and grabbed it.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 8:32 am

Kultur und Religion der Germanen - Wilhelm Grönbech

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 2:53 pm

Sigbold wrote:
Kultur und Religion der Germanen - Wilhelm Grönbech

Sounds like something up my alley 8) - except that I can only read English. :(

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 7:59 pm

i'm finally reading delusions of gender by cordelia fine. i've been meaning to for months but kept putting it off to do reading for marxist reading groups but now im reading it for real! i love the way she picks biological determinists to bits especially SBC.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 12:02 am

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
So Long and Thanks For All The Fish by Douglas Adams
Redwall by Brian Jacques
Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat