Page 116 of 302 [ 4831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 302  Next

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sigbold wrote:
Kultur und Religion der Germanen - Wilhelm Grönbech

Sounds like something up my alley 8) - except that I can only read English. :(

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

A knowledge of the German language is essential if you are interested in these things. Since a lot of research done on that terrain has been publicized in German.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:11 am

Sigbold wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sigbold wrote:

A knowledge of the German language is essential if you are interested in these things. Since a lot of research done on that terrain has been publicized in German.

I know. But I was a total dunce in high school German. And while my Dad had been raised with German, he spoke a Franconian dialect from northwest Baden-Wurttemberg, the Kraichgau (hence my screen name), he soon discovered the German he spoke wasn't completely the same as what was taught in school. Plus, my former German teacher was known for not having the best grasp of the subject.
As a history and anthropology buff, I eat up anything I can find, especially concerning Germanic history. But you're absolutely correct, a lot of the cutting edge literature isn't being published fast enough into English. I can only hope that some more stuff will be translated into English

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sigbold wrote:

Linky
A translator is credited for this edition, so y'never know. I'd kinda have expected them to translate the title. *shrugs*

I'm on with The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo, which is exactly as bad as you'd expect. Awful puns and terrible slapstick. There are occasional funny lines, though, and having the villains be secret admirers of Liberal Democracy (gasp!) is amusing. :)

The year is still young.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

Just finished reading "One Day" by David Nicholls.

Tells the story of 2 people who meet at a university leaving ball in summer 1988, and what happens on that same day of the year for the next 20 years of their lives. Probably the best book Ive ever read, not exaggerating.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 5:45 pm

England's Secret Weapon:
The Wartime Films of Sherlock Holmes

2009, by Amanda J. Field
Page 34/250

Amazingly, I actually managed to start reading a book shortly after buying it instead of throwing it on the shelf and procrastinating for five years before finally getting around to it. I'm still on the introductory chapters, and they're unfortunately a bit disappointing. They start out relevant, exploring what Holmes means to different people in different times, but they descend into irrelevance by exploring the differences between film genres in general, and pointing out the obvious, like the fact that critics typically don't take genre films seriously. These latter subjects deserve a brief mention, not their own detailed chapters. Hope it gets better, because I've been giving up on books too often lately. I'd like to finish something.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 6:13 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sigbold wrote:

Linky
A translator is credited for this edition, so y'never know. I'd kinda have expected them to translate the title. *shrugs*

I'm on with The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo, which is exactly as bad as you'd expect. Awful puns and terrible slapstick. There are occasional funny lines, though, and having the villains be secret admirers of Liberal Democracy (gasp!) is amusing. :)

Thanks for the link to the book. Now I just need to figure out the British monetary system!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 6:21 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Thanks for the link to the book. Now I just need to figure out the British monetary system!

It's pretty simple. You can order from Amazon UK and they'll see that you're in the US (at least I assume you're in the US) when you enter your credit card info and address, and they'll give you an order total in dollars. They'll charge you out the ass for overseas shipping, though.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 7:16 pm

Jory wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It's pretty simple. You can order from Amazon UK and they'll see that you're in the US (at least I assume you're in the US) when you enter your credit card info and address, and they'll give you an order total in dollars. They'll charge you out the ass for overseas shipping, though.

Indeed, I am an American.
Thanks for letting know how Amazon works in regard to British pounds -my wife and I have been customers for years, and I never knew that!

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:37 pm

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Published: 2008
15% through
(reading on Kindle)

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

*revives from page 2*

after the quake by Haruki Murakami
Originally Published: 2000
pg. 52/147

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

after the quake by Haruki Murakami
Originally Published: 2000
pg. 92/147

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 4:50 am

I decided to drop the Mortal Engines series. I found a much better book which I have been reading for the past week or two:

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
pg. 415/511

I am completely in love with this book. I love everything about it - the setting, the characters, the plot, and the author's style. I'm glad that this story has lasted so long. But I will be relieved when it's over, because I am dying to know how it ends, I'd like to see the film version and there are other books I want to read. The only problem is, I doubt they will be as good as this one.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 1:13 pm

I had finished reading Dean Koontz's"Phantoms" and Brian Keene's"Dead Sea".
Currently reading Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense (and Stick You with the Bill) - David Cay Johnston..

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 5:20 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I decided to drop the Mortal Engines series. I found a much better book which I have been reading for the past week or two:

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
pg. 415/511

I am completely in love with this book. I love everything about it - the setting, the characters, the plot, and the author's style. I'm glad that this story has lasted so long. But I will be relieved when it's over, because I am dying to know how it ends, I'd like to see the film version and there are other books I want to read. The only problem is, I doubt they will be as good as this one.

You can always get Tipping the Velvet and Affinity for more. :wink:

The year is still young.

Vanis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jan 2012, 7:04 pm

I'm trying to read 'The Catcher In The Rye' but, so far, I don't see the big deal. I've had more meaningful experiences reading children's books.