Page 119 of 302 [ 4831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 302  Next

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:44 pm

Catamount wrote:

Finished The Camel Club a few days ago. I'm now all caught up on the first four books in the series (though I read them badly out of order). Just received the fifth and final installment today ... looking forward to starting Hell's Corner sometime this week.

Fast approaching the halfway point of Hell's Corner and while I'm enjoying it, the plot seems a bit thin in comparison to previous installments in the Camel Club series. Usually, there's so much going on that you often have to flip back through the pages to keep up with the multiple plot lines. But this one is pretty straightforward so far. Still hoping for some interesting twists.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2012, 12:16 pm

I found the book to be interesting if not a tad bit more in depth but, overall still followed the film pretty well..

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2012, 12:14 am

The Book of Deadly Animals by Gordon Grice. Dog lovers beware: You might give away your pooch if you read this. 8O

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:32 am

For the umpteenth time.

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2012, 5:25 am

The Silent World by Jaques Costeau. Found it by chance in an op shop. Fascinating!

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2012, 5:58 am

Re-reading The Ancestor's Tale by Dawkins for the second time (meaning it's the third time I read it).
It's not that I'm slow, but that book has so many little details, particularly when we get to fungi and spores and bacteria and stuff, that I enjoy it almost like it's fresh.
The structure of the book is brilliant as well.
It's my favourite Dawkins book. That and Mount Improbable (the fig wasp chapter is the best essay ever written, imho).

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:11 pm

God knows why, I don't even like King. Saw the movie on TV the other day and felt a compulsive need to read the book, which I've had sitting on my shelf for years.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:19 pm

Jory wrote:

God knows why, I don't even like King. Saw the movie on TV the other day and felt a compulsive need to read the book, which I've had sitting on my shelf for years.

I personally thought it was a decent read. Liked the movie, too.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I personally thought it was a decent read. Liked the movie, too.

It's funny, the movie was destroyed by critics, and King fans in general don't seem to like it much either, but I found it to be one of the better ones. I've seen it numerous times and always seem to watch it when it's on. I can't judge the book since I've just started it, but I'll probably like it if it's one of his least popular and hate it if it's the opposite. I can never seem to agree with the majority on anything.

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

I read Thinner many years ago and remember it being an entertaining read. I liked the movie as well. I've always felt Robert John Burke is an underrated actor. (Robocop 3 notwithstanding. Ugh!)

It's easy to criticize Stephen King because he has written some atrocious books. (Cell and Christine immediately come to mind.) But when he's good, he's often very good. Carrie, Cujo, Hearts in Atlantis, The Running Man. Those are all old favorites of mine.

Duckonce
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2012, 11:03 pm

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe.

A bit of Poe, and everything seems right in the world.

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2012, 2:23 am

I'm putting down the Woodward book, I think.
Such sloppy, stupid writing.

He just said that 50 to 75 foreign fighters in Afghanistan was "a magnitude of order below the thousands" that came during the Soviet occupation.

Wow. Just... Wow.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 2:28 am

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 2:29 am

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 7:11 pm

Reading the omnibus for the comic "Hopeless Savages" by Jen Van Meter. It's epic because every time I read the dialogue my inner audio track pulls off a perfect cockney accent. I don't even have to focus on it, the vernacular dialogue of the comic's characters is so obviously British that it's almost impossible NOT to use the accent.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.