Page 122 of 302 [ 4831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 302  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 5:31 am

DominictheStampede wrote:
Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King.

How is that?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:53 pm

ReindeerRoger
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2012, 12:25 am

I'm doing an essay on Hula Dancing, so I have a stack of books on Hawaii, sharkskin drums, nose flutes, folksongs etc.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 11:38 am

Hard Times, Charles Dickens

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

The Century's Best Horror Fiction, Vol. One (ed. John Pelan)

Which I bought because it contains "The Tower of Moab", which I've been looking for everywhere. Some very good stories, some not-so-good.

Also I read Tom Swift and his Electric Rifle today. It was dire. There were many things wrong with it. The writing was bad (I learn there's an entire branch of humour dedicated to mocking the style.) It was horrendously racist. The plot was stupid, paper-thin, transparent. The 'science' was silly. I liked the bit where Tom accidentally shoots a "wireless bullet" from his Electric Rifle through the wall of a nearby house when he noticed that "the range dial was set wrong" and casually "invented something to make sure the gun would never fire when the range dial was set wrong" - which to me sounds like an AI complete problem... :)

The year is still young.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 1:20 pm

300 Important Combinations by B.V. Raman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 6:32 pm

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan.

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2012, 8:39 pm

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 7:30 am

Finally finished the last of the Camel Club series books by David Baldacci. For now, I am reading Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins. Read the first half of the book a few years back and just picked it back up yesterday. I've read both of Jenkins' Walk Across America books but guess I decided I needed a break from him and was reading some more action-packed books for awhile. Ready now to go back to something a little slower and more outdoorsy.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

I've been reading The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye. It's a cool mystery book that takes place in 1855 New York City. I love historical fiction and this book is doing it for me. Plus it has a cool serial killer story in it so it very enjoyable.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 3:54 pm

neerdowell wrote:
I've been reading The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye. It's a cool mystery book that takes place in 1855 New York City. I love historical fiction and this book is doing it for me. Plus it has a cool serial killer story in it so it very enjoyable.

That sounds right up my alley. Have you ever read The Alienist by Caleb Carr? It's a serial killer mystery set in 1890's New York when forensics was so new that fingerprints were not yet admissible as evidence. The alienist is an early version of a profiler and Teddy Roosevelt is one of the characters. Great book! I'm going to look up The Gods of Gotham. Thanks for the idea, I've been looking to curl up on the couch with some murder and mayhem.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2012, 10:52 am

[/quote]
That sounds right up my alley. Have you ever read The Alienist by Caleb Carr? It's a serial killer mystery set in 1890's New York when forensics was so new that fingerprints were not yet admissible as evidence. The alienist is an early version of a profiler and Teddy Roosevelt is one of the characters. Great book! I'm going to look up The Gods of Gotham. Thanks for the idea, I've been looking to curl up on the couch with some murder and mayhem.[/quote]

Cool I am going to look up The Alienist as soon as I am done reading The Gods of Gotham.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 11:34 am

Dear Aimless, in terms of the book, I had previously read as, I had stated the author of such book was autistic such is the case..

ProfessorX

ReindeerRoger
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

I'm reading a French book, to see if I can still do it, since I used to be in French Immersion so I'm somewhat fluent.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 11:20 am

Jataka Parijata

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 10:15 pm

The Secret Holocaust Diaries, written by Nonna Bannister and co-written by Denise George and Carolyn Tomlin. It's a biography/autobiography of a woman who was a Holocaust survivor.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.