Page 126 of 302 [ 4831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 302  Next

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:57 am

I'm seriously hating the writer of Yamato: Rage in Heaven . I don't want to dismiss the book as crap, it has a very unique idea but it feels like it drags on more than Gone With The Wind , an actual quality book with likeable characters and existent characterization. I think that's my problem with YRIH, I'm no professional book reviewer and it was recommended to me on a forum when I specifically asked for space operas and stuff with lots of battles etc but its just so...ughhhhhh. It doesn't help that I've kind of hit a funk in terms of depression and normally I'm a voracious reader but due to the fact I have 90 or so pages left of YRIH I haven't picked up a book in a week. I have major book OCD and refuse to pick up another book until I finish what I'm reading and I have this stack of awesome sounding books just waiting for me..but nope, gotta wade through more of the writer's lack of likeable characters and every page feels like it takes forever to read. I want to assume I must have ADHD but I managed to read and finish Gone With The Wind and was cognitive of what was going on. With this book I just trudge from page to page, like a starved hiker scaling up a snowy mountain with nothing but his walking stick. Each mile I go up I feel the lack of food and water slowly killing me, along with the lack of oxygen as I go up, causing me to fatigue faster. It also doesn't help that the bad guys are basically space samurai and constantly reference Japanese terms and descriptions and the writer hasn't provided any notes or a mini-glossary. Maybe if I liked the book enough I would google it but I don't care enough here. That just strikes me as very lazy.

Alright, its not that bad..I just need to buckle down soon and finish it all in one night. I DO think this book would have made an awesomely (bad) cheap scifi movie in the 80s though, much in the vein of Robot Jox, which the (good) scifi writer Joe Haldeman assisted with.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 12:36 am

The Circle of Magic series by Tamara Pierce

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2012, 7:50 am

Has anyone here read anything written by China Mieville, or any of the steampunk themed books? I would like to know your opinion on any of them.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 7:54 am

Save Me

Rose McKenna volunteers as a lunch mom in her daughter Melly's school in order to keep an eye on Amanda, a mean girl who's been bullying her daughter. Her fears come true when the bullying begins, sending Melly to the bathroom in tears. Just as Rose is about to follow after her daughter, a massive explosion goes off in the kitchen, sending the room into chaos. Rose finds herself faced with the horrifying decision of whether or not to run to the bathroom to rescue her daughter or usher Amanda to safety. She believes she has accomplished both, only to discover that Amanda, for an unknown reason, ran back into the school once out of Rose's sight. In an instance, Rose goes from hero to villain as the small community blames Amanda's injuries on her. In the days that follow, Rose's life starts to fall to pieces, Amanda's mother decides to sue, her marriage is put to the test, and worse, when her daughter returns to school, the bullying only intensifies. Rose must take matters into her own hands and get down to the truth of what really happened that fateful day in order to save herself, her marriage and her family.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 10:34 am

DaveTheRave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 2:57 pm

a book im greatly into atm is one i bought off a festival stand. two for a pound. bargain. :) its called Dubliners and is by James Joyce a rather famous irish writer. anyone else read this book and if so what are your views??

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:56 am

Oh god I did it, I did..I somehow finished Yamato: Rage In Heaven . I had to go out to get a haircut today with mom so I read 20 or so pages in the car, a bit more while waiting for my turn since I opted to go last and then I just bit the bullet and finished the last 45 pages an hour ago. Its amazing that I've read books longer than YRIH that went by much faster and were fun to read. Now..I decided I'm going to take a one book break from scifi and now I'm working on...

Already gone through the preface, prologue and first chapter, it is so much more enjoyable. Basically its the story of a marine corp officer training to become a F/A-18 pilot and there's other interesting stuff. I'm really excited just to read about their training and all the delicious details of flying. The writing and prose is much easier to grasp and take in, though to give myself credit I don't think I'm a slow minded fool when it comes to books. I've read some length classics that didn't hurt my soul like YRIH, I made the mistake of assuming that the book would be as well written and appealing as something Joe Haldeman wrote. Anyways, putting the book I just finished behind me for good.

I'm very excited to leap into this book and even though I have Diablo 3 here beckoning me to play more I will probably sneak in another chapter before the night is up.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 8:57 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
Oh god I did it, I did..I somehow finished Yamato: Rage In Heaven .

Congratulations! I'm OCD about reading in just the way you described. Once I've read over 30 pages of a book I feel like I have to read the whole thing and will force myself to finish reading it whether I want to or not. The Circle of Magic is one I just finished and even though I liked the premise of the novel and some of the characters I found the story difficult to really get into, and had to force myself to finish it. Now I'm reading The Tripods trilogy which is very engrossing. I'm almost through the first book in the series, "The White Mountains". :D

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2012, 9:13 pm

Asperger's From the Inside Out-Michael John Carley

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 10:47 am

I just finished Bogeys and Bandits, a great, great read for anyone interested at all in fighter pilot aviation. It fascinated me, literally made me laugh out loud sometimes, made me feel the insecurities of the pilots and it did a great job of being brutally honest. Doubt and lack of confidence is not allowed and kills you.

I always knew carrier landings were hard, but wow. The last section of the book details the trainees aka nuggets final part of the F/A-18 training course where they have to complete satisfactory landings during the day and at night. The idea of being out there in the black dark night, a ship ahead of you with no lights on, a dark void of an ocean and limited fuel too..really scary stuff.

Now I'm at a bit of a crossroads. John Steakley's Armor or the novelization of Mobile Suit Gundam. Both books look appealing, but I'm almost certain Steakley's will have better prose and writing style since the other has been translated from Japanese. I enjoy all things related to the UC Gundam universe, but at 516 pages its a risk. It could be like YRIH, but I REALLY doubt it could reach those heights of bore. If anything the prose of MBS would feel more elementary and read faster.

I'll possibly have no books left after this, Dad says he has another book stuck somewhere chronicling the trials of a A-4 skyhawk pilot during the Vietnam War (love non-fiction from that era!). MBS could suck and once I commit I cannot switch books so I'll have to swallow my pill. On the otherhand, reading Steakley's acclaimed scifi novel will probably make MBS feel a little worse, despite being from a universe I enjoy.

Probably better go with MBS first since I don't have to worry about finishing off with a sour feeling once I have no books left.

taterbud
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2012, 1:16 pm

When I start reading a book, if I get into it enough, I won't put it down for any reason less urgent than using the facilities and eating. So I'll just put the last book I finished. Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 9:39 pm

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 11:05 pm

Good Omens, from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

JPanzer
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 12:54 am

Ossian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2012, 4:09 am

Osmo Jussila etc.: Suomen poliittinen historia 1809-2009

Timeconsumer
Raven
Raven