Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 16 of 31 [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 31  Next

Snakeguy666
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2011, 2:21 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Per Ohlin, better known as Dead, the late vocalist of the Black Metal band Mayhem. He was described by other musicians and fellow band members as not very social and having a strange sense of humor. He was also obsessed with death and the idea of being, well, dead. The corpse paint he wore had nothing to do with Kiss or King Diamond, but he wore it merely to look like a corpse. He would bury his clothes in dirt and smell a dead crow he stored in plastic bag, both so he could have a "grave scent" and have the stench of death wafting in his nostrils, all before performing a show. At some point he actually asked fellow band members to bury him alive so he could have corpsey skin. Additionally he would slit his wrists on stage. Eventually he would become a real corpse at the age of 22 when he committed suicide after cutting his wrists and shooting himself in the head with a shotgun. A photo of his corpse was taken and used as the cover for Mayhem's live bootleg album, Dawn of the Black Hearts.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:33 am

Tomapella wrote:
I've been wondering about Mike Gordon, the bass player from Phish. He has always had a bit of that vibe about him, especially since he was always the cleanest one of the bunch.

I think you could be on to something here.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2011, 7:33 am

Alexi Laiho (children of bodom) may have it.
Special interests, poor social skills, this is what i've heard about him. Plus i've heard about an aspie that has recovered from a breakdown in focusing himself strongly into his special interests instead of taking medications, and Alexi did the same.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

slashfrehley42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2011, 10:50 am

Sorry if it's been mentioned, I've only skimmed this thread so far, but Axl Rose has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, although I would not be at all surprised if he had Aspergers. The way he obsessed over Chinese Democracy, the way the original GN'R lineup fell apart, his reclusiveness all are little flags to me.

Mahler7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2011, 6:04 pm

I'm beginning to think Thom Yorke embodies a lot of AS characteristics in interviews... especially some of the lyrics Fake Plastic Trees and Paranoid Android immediately come to mind.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

one of the members of Owl City has AS.

also, I know he's an actor and not a musician but Dan Aykroyd has AS.

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2011, 4:48 pm

David Byrne from the Talking Heads seems to be a candidate. So does Joe Cocker..just sayin

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 9:22 am

gnatterfly wrote:
David Byrne from the Talking Heads seems to be a candidate.

I read about David Byrne probably having AS the other day, I wasn't really surprised when I found that out... just kind of thought 'Yeah, that makes sense'. I wonder If that is why I like the Talking Heads so much...

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 3:47 pm

FearOfMusic wrote:
gnatterfly wrote:
David Byrne from the Talking Heads seems to be a candidate.

I read about David Byrne probably having AS the other day, I wasn't really surprised when I found that out... just kind of thought 'Yeah, that makes sense'. I wonder If that is why I like the Talking Heads so much...

He said once that he was borderline Asperger's.

cyanosity

02 Jul 2011, 8:35 am

Lo wrote:
One of the founders of Pink Floyd is thought to have had it.

You mean Syd Barrett?

I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 9:17 am

I suggest that John Entwistle had high functioning AS. As well as Nick Drake.

I`m just guessing though.

shades720
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2011, 12:20 am

Try listening to Machinae Supremacy. Specifically "Persona" or "Skin." I emailed them to see if they had it, but they never responded.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

shades720 wrote:
Try listening to Machinae Supremacy. Specifically "Persona" or "Skin." I emailed them to see if they had it, but they never responded.

Protip: Emailing a person and asking them whether or not they have Asperger's is creepy as hell. How would you like it if a random stranger emailed you and asked if you had a mental disorder?

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

Mahler7 wrote:
I'm beginning to think Thom Yorke embodies a lot of AS characteristics in interviews... especially some of the lyrics Fake Plastic Trees and Paranoid Android immediately come to mind.

Paranoid Android was written as a joke, so I wouldn't base anything on that.

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2011, 8:13 pm

I've seen surely a hundred interviews of him and and a long time studied John Lennon.
He definitely had aspergers syndrome or at least something with really similar symptoms.
he lived in his own world and was never interested in the world the otherones saw. In fact that doesn't mean that I think that one of these worlds is the "real" one.

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

Oswald06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2011, 9:00 am

Snoopy wrote:
jbinion wrote:
Michael Jackson has asperger's

What makes you think he has it ?

It's possible. But we may never know. Rest in peace MJ.