Page 170 of 303 [ 4838 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 303  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:43 pm

Skurvey wrote:
I really enjoyed 'Post Office' - he has a great style.

I am reading 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' by Baroness Orczy - very enjoyable so far

Post office was a riot. I really wish Matt Dillon would reprise his role as Henry Chinasky (Bukowski's literary alter ego), and appear in a movie version of Post Office.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 7:46 pm

Counterfeit Revival by Hank Hanegraaf.
Classical Arminianism by F. Leroy.
Summa Contra Gentiles by Thomas Aquinas.
Yi Jing 易經 by an unknown author and Shí Yì 翼, often supposed to be Confucius' ten commentaries on the work.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 11:46 am

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 7:37 am

The Martian by Andy Weir

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 4:38 am

Mary Queen of Scots by Antonia Fraser.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 5:57 pm

The Silmarillon by JRR Tolkien edited by Christopher Tolkien
Actually a really good read if you take the time before hand to learn the names of characters.

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2015, 2:36 pm

Snuff by Sir Pterry Pratchett. You know I'm a fan of him based on how I spelled his name. Just wish I had more of his books, I've read all the ones I have right now...

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 12:36 am

Feyokien wrote:
Actually a really good read if you take the time before hand to learn the names of characters.

Hmmm... My favorite chapters were the ones before you even see the elves.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 12:54 am

Lukecash12 wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

Yeah it was pretty interesting mythological stuff. I heard Tolkien had some darker stuff that he's written and I just got to it with the story of Maeglin. Once I'm done reading this I think I'll read The Children of Hurin next.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 3:53 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

Yeah it was pretty interesting mythological stuff. I heard Tolkien had some darker stuff that he's written and I just got to it with the story of Maeglin. Once I'm done reading this I think I'll read The Children of Hurin next.

Yes, his short stories such as the Children of Hurin are very interesting too. You might like The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. One has to wonder whether Tom Bombadil is actually Iluvatar himself. His "magic" works in a sense unlike anything else in the LOTR universe, and we know from reading the Silmarillion that there is only one who can sing things into existence and change reality at will, because He has sole ownership over the Imperishable Flame. My personal theory is that Iluvatar came down in the form of Bombadil after he changed Arda/Earth from a flat plane to a globe, removing Valinor from the globe in His first act of direct intervention in history so that the Black Numenoreans wouldn't invade.

Another suggestive set of poems and short stories whose name eludes me at the moment, is the one about the Ents and Entwives.

There are also notable parallels between his works and his own life. In the scouring of the shire, one of the last chapters of the Return of the King, we have a parallel between the book and his own life because when he returned home from WWI he found an industrialized world had suddenly supplanted the agrarian one he knew.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 1:34 am

Lukecash12 wrote:
Yes, his short stories such as the Children of Hurin are very interesting too. You might like The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. One has to wonder whether Tom Bombadil is actually Iluvatar himself. His "magic" works in a sense unlike anything else in the LOTR universe, and we know from reading the Silmarillion that there is only one who can sing things into existence and change reality at will, because He has sole ownership over the Imperishable Flame. My personal theory is that Iluvatar came down in the form of Bombadil after he changed Arda/Earth from a flat plane to a globe, removing Valinor from the globe in His first act of direct intervention in history so that the Black Numenoreans wouldn't invade.

Another suggestive set of poems and short stories whose name eludes me at the moment, is the one about the Ents and Entwives.

There are also notable parallels between his works and his own life. In the scouring of the shire, one of the last chapters of the Return of the King, we have a parallel between the book and his own life because when he returned home from WWI he found an industrialized world had suddenly supplanted the agrarian one he knew.

Honestly I think Tom isn't Eru since Tolkien himself discredited it, wish he was, but that he is the anthropomorphized expression of the Flame Imperishable itself, since it is the heart of the world. Considering Tolkiens use of duality, Bombadil becomes the opposite of Ungoliant, he represents all that is physical expression, while she is everything that isn't and wishes to devour everything. He creates, she consumes. The world and the void. Neither have explained origins. I have a hard time believing he's a maiar since the ring doesn't bother him. Or he could just be something else entirely that Tolkien just left unexplained. I'll definitely will be tracking down every last shred of Tolkiens legendarium though in due time.

ChelleMiki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2015, 4:09 pm

Anything and everything by Philip K Dick lately... currently The Divine Invasion, but my favourites by him are Valis and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (I don't know if androids do, but Hatsune Miku does...)

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 4:39 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Lukecash12 wrote:

Honestly I think Tom isn't Eru since Tolkien himself discredited it, wish he was, but that he is the anthropomorphized expression of the Flame Imperishable itself, since it is the heart of the world. Considering Tolkiens use of duality, Bombadil becomes the opposite of Ungoliant, he represents all that is physical expression, while she is everything that isn't and wishes to devour everything. He creates, she consumes. The world and the void. Neither have explained origins. I have a hard time believing he's a maiar since the ring doesn't bother him. Or he could just be something else entirely that Tolkien just left unexplained. I'll definitely will be tracking down every last shred of Tolkiens legendarium though in due time.

I can see the comparison between him and the Flame Imperishable, as well as his being a counterpart to Ungoliant. Although Tolkien discredited it, the parallels between him and Eru are compelling because as you've agreed there is only one way to genuinely create, to speak things into existence. It's clearly true that he can't be a maiar because the ring is more bothersome for them than anyone else, as of course they possess the most vanity. There are also a number of parallels between his art and the Poetic Edda and Norse Sagas (e.g. Odin/Gandalf, the structure of the Norse cosmos).

But we could go on all day about Tolkien's inspirations.

As for myself, I'm currently reading Destination: Void by Frank Herbert senior, among other things.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 7:45 pm

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2015, 4:03 am

Just inherited a set of Walter Scott's Waverly Novels - starting with Vol1 Waverley - excellent so far - don't think I'll read all 25 (or how many there are) back to back but I will get through them!

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 6:55 pm

Rereading The Man in the High Castle by P.K. Dick

cannot wait for the Amazon series to drop.