Sci-fi, Aversion to Alien invasion stories?

Page 3 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 4:41 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
I agree with you for the most part. But how do you explain the success of shows like Stargate (SG1 Atlantis Universe) and BattleStar Galactica? And video games like Halo?

Stargate? The whole premise of the show is based on an evil alien race controlling other races.

BattleStar Galactica is just a spin off of Star Wars (or vice versa, which is debatable, and I won't even address that issue, because I've frankly never liked either one of them.) As far as I'm concerned, both are just cowboys and Indians set in space. Instead of finding it ironic, I found it quite appropriate that Lorne Greene starred in BG. I've never found either series to be anything close to cerebral.

Just my opinion.

Stargate has plenty of good aliens there the Nox, the Ancients, the Asgard, Tok'ra. And I'm talking about the remake of Battlestar Galactica (i don't see how ether is a spin off of star wars). And you failed to mention Halo.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 4:58 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Stargate has plenty of good aliens there the Nox, the Ancients, the Asgard, Tok'ra. And I'm talking about the remake of Battlestar Galactica (i don't see how ether is a spin off of star wars). And you failed to mention Halo.

I'm aware of that. I watched Stargate for several years before losing interest. The premise of the show is still "us" against "them." which is what I've really tired of. BG and Star Wars creators had at each other way back over who borrowed (or stole) what from whom. I believe that's all been settled. There are a plethora of similarities between the show, but all that is irrelevant to my point. Both are still not much more than "good guys" vs. "bad guys" scenarios. All three are throwbacks to the old good guys in white hats vs. bad guys in black hats.

I can't comment on Halo, because I've never seen it, nor have I seen anything about it that interests me in anyway.

I much prefer stories where the divisions between good and evil are extremely blurred. Where it's not really about good and evil as a simplistic theme, but more about far more complex relationships. More like reality. Hardly anyone in reality is purely good, or purely evil. I prefer stories where, right from the start, every character is a mix of good qualities and bad. Where everyone is has some beauty, and ugliness, like real people. I realize that many stories do eventually bring things like that to light, and the characters become more complex over time. I'd prefer them to appear that way right off the bat.

I prefer a story that right from the beginning it's hard for a reader/watcher to determine who the heck they want to route for. I don't like it being so obvious. Actually, I really like stories where I might start out unsure, and end up routing for everyone, because they're all working together.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 5:26 pm

MrXxx wrote:
I much prefer stories where the divisions between good and evil are extremely blurred. Where it's not really about good and evil as a simplistic theme, but more about far more complex relationships. More like reality. Hardly anyone in reality is purely good, or purely evil. I prefer stories where, right from the start, every character is a mix of good qualities and bad. Where everyone is has some beauty, and ugliness, like real people. I realize that many stories do eventually bring things like that to light, and the characters become more complex over time. I'd prefer them to appear that way right off the bat.

I prefer a story that right from the beginning it's hard for a reader/watcher to determine who the heck they want to route for. I don't like it being so obvious. Actually, I really like stories where I might start out unsure, and end up routing for everyone, because they're all working together.

How about the 2008 remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"? (Remake chosen for recent-ness.) The presence of Klaatu might be a really good thing or a really bad thing depending on your point of view. He has the most benign intention- to preserve life on planet Earth. The thing is he believes he needs to destroy humans in order to save all other species. And then near the end of the movie he has a change of heart about killing all humans because he does have mercy to appeal to. He doesn't relish death. He wants to kill humans to save other species. The humans convince him this is not a necessary step and he goes along with that argument because he isn't actually sadistic or cruel- he just doesn't favor human life at the expense of all others.

I think that qualifies as morally complex.

Of course the movie wasn't well received. Keanue Reeves just isn't that good of an actor. But it does fit your desired specs of a recent movie where there is ambiguity about good and evil.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 5:53 pm

Janissy wrote:
How about the 2008 remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"? (Remake chosen for recent-ness.) The presence of Klaatu might be a really good thing or a really bad thing depending on your point of view. He has the most benign intention- to preserve life on planet Earth. The thing is he believes he needs to destroy humans in order to save all other species. And then near the end of the movie he has a change of heart about killing all humans because he does have mercy to appeal to. He doesn't relish death. He wants to kill humans to save other species. The humans convince him this is not a necessary step and he goes along with that argument because he isn't actually sadistic or cruel- he just doesn't favor human life at the expense of all others.

I think that qualifies as morally complex.

Of course the movie wasn't well received. Keanue Reeves just isn't that good of an actor. But it does fit your desired specs of a recent movie where there is ambiguity about good and evil.

I never saw the remake, but yeah, I did like the original.

I think another aspect of themes that tends to turn me off are competitive themes, and that extends beyond Sci-Fi. Something about "us" vs. "them" that I tire of very quickly. This has nothing to do with Sci-Fi really, but a show that used to be Discovery (or was it TLC ~ same company anyway) is a pretty good example. Junkyard Wars split a group of participants into two teams. Each team was to build a machine of some sort from junk in the junk yard. Every episode somebody won, yet the objective wasn't always achieved by either team. It was all about which team could do a better job. I would have preferred to see the show put everyone on the same team, then rate how well they did as a team and in achieving the objective, on an objective scale, instead of against each other. To me, the competitive aspect between the teams detracted from the goal of creating a machine that could achieve a particular task. I guess I'm just not entertained by conflict so much. Conflict doesn't solve anything at all.

Just thinking about that show alone, what could all those people have achieved if they hadn't been all distracted by the personal conflicts etc.? If they all work together, they have no choice but to overcome their differences and make things work no matter what.

Ringworld is right along those lines. Of course there is tension and conflict among the main characters, and even though they're at Ringworld for different purposes, they all know it, and all realize they need each other to accomplish their goals. All on the same team, all forced to cooperate rather than compete, like it or not. And the underlying theme of them solving a problem to save many races they didn't even know from an impending doom the races themselves, for the most part, weren't even aware of, makes it all the more interesting.

That's the kind of complexity I'm talking about. As soon as you draw clear lines between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" everything is already solved. It's us against them, and we all know who has to win. Please! It's been done to death, and the real world isn't that simple. As a matter of fact, IMHO, that mentality has a lot to do with why so many different peoples in this world keep repeating the same mistakes over and over.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 6:10 pm

A novel I recently finished writing would actually be your sort of thing, MrXxx. It's set in a future where humanity and some alien races live in (relative) peace, but there is a strong undercurrent of tension. In fact, the novel is a science fiction conspiracy thriller, but with a really strange twist.

On sabbatical...

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 6:16 pm

Quatermass wrote:
A novel I recently finished writing would actually be your sort of thing, MrXxx. It's set in a future where humanity and some alien races live in (relative) peace, but there is a strong undercurrent of tension. In fact, the novel is a science fiction conspiracy thriller, but with a really strange twist.

Sounds like my kind of novel! Except, maaaybe the "strange twist?" The twist would have to be reeealllly good to get me. I've read so many books and seen so many movies with "surprise" endings, almost none surprise me anymore. But then, there are a lot I like anyway, if they are well written. Surprise endings don't have to "get" me for me to like it.

Are you planning to publish it?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 6:26 pm

MrXxx, you might enjoy the Battlestar Galactica remake (2004-2008), starring Edward James Olmos as Cmdr. (later Adm.) William Adama and Mary McDonnell as President Laura Roslyn. It's rather nuanced as to "good" and "evil", and who are the bad guys and who are the good guys (the First Cylon War apparently started when the Articles of Colonization were adopted, some fifty years before the series opens, uniting the Twelve Colonies under a common government, and the military Cylons were about to be decommissioned - or, as they saw it, genocidally obliterated).

There aren't any aliens in there - just humans, robots, and robots that look like humans (some of which are programmed to believe they are human). And the third season ends with a lovely speech by Capt. Lee "Apollo" Adama, at Dr. Gaius Baltar's treason trial (for surrendering to the Cylons at New Caprica, leading to the Occupation at the beginning of the season), pointing out that at that point in the story they weren't a civilization - they were a mob:

Lee Adama wrote:
Did the defendant make mistakes? Sure. He did. Serious mistakes. But did he actually commit any crimes? Did he commit treason? No. I mean, it was an impossible situation. When the Cylons arrived, what could he possibly do? What could anyone have done?

[looks at the courtroom audience]

Ask yourself, what would you have done?

[looks at the judges]

What would you have done? If he had refused to surrender, the Cylons would have probably nuked the planet right then and there. So did he appear to cooperate with the Cylons? Sure. So did hundreds of others. What's the difference between him and them? The President issued a blanket pardon. They were all forgiven, no questions asked. Colonel Tigh. Colonel Tigh used suicide bombers, killed dozens of people. Forgiven. Lieutenant Agathon and Chief Tyrol. They murdered an officer on the Pegasus. Forgiven. The Admiral. The Admiral instigated a military coup d'état against the President. Forgiven. And me? <chuckles slightly> Well, where do I begin? I shot down a civilian passenger ship, the Olympic Carrier. Over a thousand people on board. Forgiven. I raised my weapon to a superior officer, committed an act of mutiny. Forgiven. And then on the very day when Baltar surrendered to those Cylons, I, as commander of Pegasus, jumped away. I left everybody on that planet, alone, undefended, for months. I even tried to persuade the Admiral never to return, to abandon you all there for good. If I'd had my way nobody would have made it off that planet. I'm the coward. I'm the traitor. I'm forgiven.

I'd say we are very forgiving of mistakes. We make our own laws now; our own justice. And we've been pretty creative in finding ways to let people off the hook for everything from theft to murder. And we've had to be, because... because we're not a civilization anymore. We are a gang, and we are on the run, and we have to fight to survive. We have to break rules. We have to bend laws. We have to improvise. But not this time, no. Not this time. Not for Gaius Baltar. No, you... you have to die, because, well, because we don't like you very much. Because you're arrogant. Because you're weak. Because you're a coward, and we, the mob, want to throw you out of the airlock, because you didn't stand up to the Cylons and get yourself killed in the process. That's justice now. You should have been killed back on New Caprica, but since you had the temerity to live, we're going to execute you now. That's justice. This case... this case is built on emotion, on anger, bitterness, vengeance. But most of all, it is built on shame. It's about the shame of what we did to ourselves back on that planet. It's about the guilt of those of us who ran away. Who ran away. And we're trying to dump all that guilt and all that shame on one man and then flush him out the airlock, and hope that just gets rid of it all. So that we could live with ourselves. But that won't work. That won't work. That's not justice; not to me. Not to me.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 6:37 pm

Quatermass wrote:

Whats The book about?

DeaconBlues wrote:
MrXxx, you might enjoy the Battlestar Galactica remake (2004-2008), starring Edward James Olmos as Cmdr. (later Adm.) William Adama and Mary McDonnell as President Laura Roslyn. It's rather nuanced as to "good" and "evil", and who are the bad guys and who are the good guys (the First Cylon War apparently started when the Articles of Colonization were adopted, some fifty years before the series opens, uniting the Twelve Colonies under a common government, and the military Cylons were about to be decommissioned - or, as they saw it, genocidally obliterated).

There aren't any aliens in there - just humans, robots, and robots that look like humans (some of which are programmed to believe they are human). And the third season ends with a lovely speech by Capt. Lee "Apollo" Adama, at Dr. Gaius Baltar's treason trial (for surrendering to the Cylons at New Caprica, leading to the Occupation at the beginning of the season), pointing out that at that point in the story they weren't a civilization - they were a mob:

I loved that episode

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 6:39 pm

Quatermass wrote:

Whats The book about?

DeaconBlues wrote:

I loved that episode

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:30 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Sounds like my kind of novel! Except, maaaybe the "strange twist?" The twist would have to be reeealllly good to get me. I've read so many books and seen so many movies with "surprise" endings, almost none surprise me anymore. But then, there are a lot I like anyway, if they are well written. Surprise endings don't have to "get" me for me to like it.

Are you planning to publish it?

I said a twist, not a twist ending. In other words, parts of the story have things that seem out of place in the setting, but really aren't.

As for planning to publish the book, well, once I'm done editing it (I've just had it critiqued by a friend who isn't afraid to be brutal in their criticism), I intend to start shopping around for a publisher. Only one publisher I know of off-hand accepts unsolicited manuscripts, Allen and Unwin, and if that goes down the crapper, I'll have to find an agent.

Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Whats The book about?

I don't really want to give the plot away, but one of the main themes is about power, and what happens to people with power.

On sabbatical...

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:30 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:

Olmos is a great actor. I've enjoyed many of his performances. I suppose there is more to BG that I might like, but I can only watch so many shows. :wink: The truth is, there is something more about it I can't even really put a finger on that, well, bores me, but I'm not really sure what it is. I loved Stargate for a long time even though the military was such a core part of the setting, probably because of Colonel O'Neil's rogue attitude toward military bureaucracy. Characters, if they strike me just right, can have a lot to do with whether I like a show too, regardless of who the actor is, and depending on how well they pull off the character.

Generally, if I end up choosing not to watch something in particular, it has more to do with what other options are available at the time. Lately, and for most of my years of watching TV and movies, few Sci-Fi works have won out over other available options. Whenever BG has been on, I've always found something else that captivates me more easily. I liked Highlander for a long time too, even though I always thought the premise of cutting off heads for the "Quickening" rather ridiculous. Everything else about the show overshadowed that aspect for me so I was able to overlook it. at least for several seasons. I did eventually tire of it anyway, and only bought the final movie just to feel as though I "saw it through." I never did see the last few years of the show.

It's just frustrating to me to have been such a heavy duty Sci-Fi fan, for there to be so much available for Sci-Fi TV and movies, yet be more often drawn to other shows than to them. The only new thing I've seen appear in the last ten years that captivated me was "Invasion" (now THERE'S an apparent' contradiction for ya! :wink:) but it was HOW the topic was handled that fascinated me, not so much the "Invasion" itself. Too bad it was canceled, but that's how it goes for me with Sci-Fi, and good food. Every time I find food I like at local stores, they quit carrying it after a few months or a year. :lol: I wonder if there's a connection! 8O

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:33 pm

BTW, you think that showing moral ambiguity in a science fiction television series is anything new? You should really watch Blake's 7.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIHPCAGMCts[/youtube]

On sabbatical...

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:34 pm

Quatermass wrote:
I said a twist, not a twist ending. In other words, parts of the story have things that seem out of place in the setting, but really aren't.

Ah! Gotcha! That's even better than a twist ending. Most of those don't work well for me anyway. The way you put it though, is a totally different thing that I do tend to like. :)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:42 pm

Quatermass wrote:
BTW, you think that showing moral ambiguity in a science fiction television series is anything new? You should really watch Blake's 7.

Not at all! Not at all. But it doesn't get the attention or $$$ that outright and clear cut conflicts do though. Sure, lot's of great stuff from BBC, though I haven't seen this one...

Yet. The fact that it's done by the BBC though, with the same cheap production quality as Dr. Who proves part of my point. Though I have to say I kind of like the cheesy quality anyway. In many ways, it's more like reading a book because I'm forced to use more imagination than I would with a high quality Hollywood block buster.

My current favorite from them, even over Dr. Who, is Red Dwarf. In spite of the fact that it's mainly a comedy, there's some really impressive Sci-Fi principles in it. Love that show!

Hey! How about:

Solaris?

Pi?

Lathe of Heaven?

Thirteenth Floor? (That came out the same year as Matrix, with an eerily similar premise. I liked it better than Matrix, which was more special effects than plot.)

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:47 pm

Quatermass wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIHPCAGMCts[/youtube]

For some reason that video reminded me of the show Andromeda. Now theirs a show you might like MrXxx, you say you are kind of iffy on plot twists, that show's got plenty (many of them very well done).

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 7:58 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Ah! Gotcha! That's even better than a twist ending. Most of those don't work well for me anyway. The way you put it though, is a totally different thing that I do tend to like. :)

The twist, such as it is, is actually heavily foreshadowed, and is fully explained about 3/4 of the way through the novel, although there is a further twist closer to the end. I'm hoping to make a sequel. Several, in fact.

MrXxx wrote:

Not at all! Not at all. But it doesn't get the attention or $$$ that outright and clear cut conflicts do though. Sure, lot's of great stuff from BBC, though I haven't seen this one...

Yet. The fact that it's done by the BBC though, with the same cheap production quality as Dr. Who proves part of my point. Though I have to say I kind of like the cheesy quality anyway. In many ways, it's more like reading a book because I'm forced to use more imagination than I would with a high quality Hollywood block buster.

My current favorite from them, even over Dr. Who, is Red Dwarf. In spite of the fact that it's mainly a comedy, there's some really impressive Sci-Fi principles in it. Love that show!

Well, the science is about as shoddy as the special effects, but the human drama involved is excellent. I mean, in the very first episode, the main character, Roj Blake, gets falsely accused of being a paedophile. Now, this was the BBC in 1978, so that was pretty daring for the time. In the first episode as well, you have a massacre of rebels who surrendered. In the second, a mutiny on a prison ship that goes badly. In the third, you have Brian Blessed as a homicidal cult leader.

And there's one episode, Gambit, that seems to have everything: homophobic slurs, a catfight, gambling, cheating, drugging, threats of rape, and a homicidal midget playing high stakes speed chess.

And the main characters, even though they're meant to be heroes attacking the evil Terran Federation, are themselves not particularly heroic. You have a political activist who is becoming more willing to justify his means with the ends, an amoral, snide computer hacker, a cowardly, alcoholic thief, a glamourous space pirate, a murderer with a chip in his head, a genetically engineered terrorist, and a ship's computer with an agenda of his own. Kerr Avon, the aforementioned computer hacker and one of the best character of the show, even points out in the last episode that their crew consists of thieves, pirates, murderers and psychopaths (implicitly referring to himself with the latter, albeit sardonically).

Red Dwarf is excellent, don't get me wrong, but both Doctor Who and Blake's 7 leave it for dead. The science may be soft, but the entertainment is great.

However, if you're after relatively hard science fiction and excellent drama, have you tried looking at the Quatermass television serials?

On sabbatical...