More Exciting Adventures From The Goaty Works!

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 10:04 pm

this cordovan cruiser looks distinctive. 8)
this one looks like the future looked like a century ago :)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2024, 8:34 am

Thank you for these Pikkys Auntblabby...those are absolutely lovely images of Locos of that time period .
Think those were in the 1930s , Art Deco Period...... :D :D :) :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2024, 9:25 am

I like what I see here!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 4:26 am

Jakki wrote:
make a negative casting of one of your bogie wheels in clay let it get hard, even baking them .Very slowly , so not to crack.
The use/ mix some Superglue and baking soda, and put some casting release spray of some kind, or improvised release spray ? Fill the negative casting allow days to dry. And remove somehow to get the formed bogie to release.
But this is just an idea .??. :D ..Good luck Mountaingoat .
Or check online for something from ebay or AliBaba? or elsewhere , made of wood or ?

Even a type of handheld feed through a heating pen to liquefy .the plastic feed line of hot glue , into the casting?
Seen these devises on ali baba. They use the same plastic line as 3 d printers. or a hot glue gun ?

Those are some good ideas.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 5:18 am

You're very talented. I like the trains in the first pictures. I also like the ones that you made as well.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 6:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
this cordovan cruiser looks distinctive. 8)
:)

Same loco design as this...

Though this one was not streamlined as it was built later. The streamlining weighed two and a quarter tons, and it was removed during WW2 to help with the war effort. They also painted those streamliners in blue with whitish stripes and painted the coaches to match. They were known as Coronation Scots with the streamlining, and known as the Duchess Class without.
With strealining one gained the world speed record fo a while at 118mph until Hitler (Before the war) had a steam loco designed specifically to beat the record. (None of the UK designs were built specifically to beat records as the British locos were designed for long distance passenger services, though during the War, and just before they were scrapped, they sometimes were occasionally (Due to war shortages or before being scrapped due to an excess of new diesel locos) seen on freight duties as well though for these locos it was rare.
One can also tell if one of these locos used to be streamlined. The one above wasn't).

Compare the photo above with this one which used to be streamlined.

It has cut outs on the top of the boiler and its frames are different near the bottom of the smoke deflectors.

Many of them had their boilers replaced later in life so lost the cut out boiler look, BUT they did keep the straight footplates on their frames which the later footplates on the ones built later after they abandoned the streamlining idea due to metal shortages during and after the war, were built with a lovely curve in the front of the footplate.

While Hitlers loco took the world speed record for a short period of time at 125mph, Britain got it back with another new loco built by another company when Churchill had a word with the company and asked them to secretly take their passenger service flat out to
See if they could gain the record back, and they beat it by just over 1 mph, and many attempts were made by Germany after this but they were not quite able to get it. (What Hitler wasn't told is the loco (A LNER class A4) had to have a totwl rebuild after the run as its cylinders had partially melted).

But going back to these LMS Corinations, when then had that speed record, they were never able to realize the full potential of the locos as they had three firemen shovelling coal into the firebox along with the driver and they could not feed the loco the amount of coal it needed quick enough to go any faster! (They ran with just one fireman normally so average top speed would normally be around 110mph as they did have a record with 112mph in the past with this loco before they had the 118mph record with the three firemen. There was no more room in the cab to fit any more people in there and shovel coal!)

We look at speed records, and the 100mph barrier was both achieved years earlier with a varified speed recording of a GWR loco back in 1904 which the GWR tried to silence as there was a belief in those days that people's hearts would stop if they travelled over 100mph, and the GWR didn't want to lose any customers! The loco was a City class called "The City Of Truro". It was designed and built in the days before steel was used which is why it was built (For safety) with additional outside frames, as the GWR had once had a disaster when an iron axle broke and a locos wheel came off at speed killing a person who happened to be close to the railway at the time, so for a fair few years the safety concious GWR built any new designs with outside frames so if the axle broke, the wheels would be contained within the outer frames giving their locos a distinct look at the time. This practice was rarely ever taken up by any of the other companies as they were not so safety concious unless specifically forced to do so by the railway board, but when steels came onto the scene, the need for the extra ourside frames was not neccessary so was abandoned, though in 1936, the GWR came out with a class of new locos built from parts of combining two past designs and these had outside frames! They were successfully used until the late 1950's even though the parts came from locos built over 50 years earlier. (The 1920's USA recession didn't hit the UK until the 1930's, so railway companies were somewhat cash strapped to come out with new locomotives to replace older locos coming to the end of their life. The GWR had fleets of Bulldog class locos and Duke class locos coming to the end of their working lives, one class having weak frames so was withdrawn earlier than it may have been, and another class having excellent long lasting heavily built frames but were being withdrawn due to their boilers and other parts being totally worn out with age. So they looked at the two loco designs they had and made new locos using the parts of the locos that were withdrawn earlier than expected that kept cracking their frames (Hence low milage as they had spent so much time in the workshops under repair), with the excellent frames of the other class which was worn out... These excellent new locos looked old fashion when they came out in 1936 were called "Dukedogs" which was a combination of both the names of the past classes of locos).

The GWR had another world first (Though I do have to mention that in 1898 in the USA there was an unvarified and unconfirmed account of one of the 4-4-0's achieving 100mph, which even if it didn't, it was going pretty fast! (Our City Of Truro loco is a 4-4-0, though even earlier designs such as the singles (2-2-2, 4-2-2 etc) known as "Singles" due to their very large single pair of drive wheels) were hitting speeds of up to 80mph into the 1870's to 1880's and were regularly exceeding 60mph on the GWR broad gauge back in the 1860's, which is why they had to slightly widen the gauge by a quarter of an inch to allow for such speeds on curves. (An extra half inch was added to the narrower standard gauge for the same reason). Speeds on the railways back then were steadily increasing at quite impressive rates!
The GWR also had another world first and that was the first passenger express service to be timetabled to run at a speed of over 100mph called "The Cheltenham Flyer". This was a fair few years before the much publicised LNER did the same with their "Flying Scotsman", though the difference for them was their long distance express was a non-stop service while the GWR called innat principle stations along its route. (The GWR had introduced back in 1923 their all new Castle Class which were at the time the worlds most powerful express locomotives which was achieved using the GWR's secret! Advancing the angle of the internal Walschaerts valve gear by five degrees, which not only made their locos more powerful than their competitors, but they used less fuel, so could haul heavy express services at higher speeds and using less coal (So didn't need larger ashpans) than their competitors! (They also had access to the South Wales coalfields which provided top quality coal which was said to be smokeless so most of what was seen from their chimneys was steam exhaust rather than the well known black soot by burning lesser quality coals, though most anthracite was actually sold to the other companies which they then mixed with their own areas poorer quality coal to boost their engines hauling capabilities and preventing their ashpans from clogging up which was important which was why the other companies needed an extra two trailing wheels to carry their larger ashpans making their locos to be larger 4-6-2's instead of the GWR's 4-6-0's).
I could write and write and write about the GWR and its exceptional locos! Way ahead of their day! The GWR even had a device on the track which would bring a 1500T express loco travelling at over 75mph to a complete stop in 750 yards if they happened to pass a signal set at danger, and not only had their own ships, but their own fleet of busses, lorries and even three passenger aircraft!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 6:07 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
You're very talented. I like the trains in the first pictures. I also like the ones that you made as well.

Thanks! :D

I do make things that are easy to make with the idea that most people can do the same with a little knowledge on how to build them and what works and what doesn't work so one knows what best to avoid.

The hobby can be reasonably priced if one learns how to model on a budget, which is important to know, as some prices these days can get stupidly high if one does not know how to tackle things the cost effective way!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 2:44 pm

Amazing pikkys Cockney Rebel ....and wonderful historical Information.. Idk most of the Info you provided ...
Just Loved the StreamLiners..... :heart: ..... :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 2:48 pm

Jakki wrote:
Amazing pikkys Cockney Rebel ....and wonderful historical Information.. Idk most of the Info you provided ...
Just Loved the StreamLiners..... :heart: ..... :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Don't think Cockney Rebel provided the pictures or information. I will check. It was AuntBlabby and I who found the pictures. They are ones found on search engines online to show the locos I was describing after AuntBlabby put a pic up that I saw.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 3:10 pm

oopps Sorry Mountaingoat, was not paying good attention. to the author of that Post.. Thank You Mountaingoat :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2024, 1:26 pm

So I was given this casting of a bonnet, and another casting of a cab which needed a fair bit of work as it was a failed casting. I cut the back sheet of the cab off to get at the overcast pieces to mill them out and open up the windows (Which were filled in by resin overcast).
The roof had a crack and an indent into the casting so this was repaired using a mix of superglue and resin dust, so though it does not look it, it is smooth to the touch.
Plasticard (The white bits) has been added to form a cab floor and also to extend the back cab as it was a bit short for some reason.
I am building the body in a shortened form so it will sit on a shortened Hornby 0-4-0 chassis.

So after filing a testfit is done.

The rear of the footplate (Cab floor) will be shortened when I get the chassis fit.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2024, 1:50 pm

Nice bit of zdetsil work, Looks like a Loco , is coming up on Production Line . :nerdy:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 11:07 am

Before I add more to this thread I will share this, just because it is interesting.

I just came across it today. One point I would like to make is that hydrogen is both extremely easy to produce and in production is non-polluting in that one is merely separating the oxygen and hydrogen elements of water. However, hydrogen is extremely difficult to store and contain being one of the thin est of gasses, and also happens to be many times more powerful than using diesel or petrol as a fuel, so in effect, stored hydrogen is a much more hazzardous fuel to store. The GOOD side to this is that it is more than possible to make hydrogen outof water while "On thre move" thus eliminating the potential hydrogen storage problem, as there have been experimental hydrogen cars powered in this way that went rigt across the length of the USA and back, though their creators (More than one as others took up thre batton only to coming to the same end) have been met their deaths either by drive by shootings or in other un-natural ways where some have said it was because the petrochemical industry feared their zero-cost fuel alternative of using hydrogen produced in this way as a direct future threat to their profits).
But these were using hydrogen as a fuel to power modified internal combustion engines so had internal pistons in the same way any petrol or diesel engined vehicle has.
The difference with this proposed idea is that one is creating hydrogen for the flame to produce steam, but without using water which puzzles me because using an actual small amount of water and one can create ones own hydrogen for powering the flame to make steam.
Steam used to power pistons gives one a huge amount of torque on tap which is why steam locomotives on railways could haul such lengthy trains, as they used this torque to start the trains moving which is where most of the effort is needed. (Also was a problem for diesel locomotives for a great any years because they could either gear them down to give sufficient torque to start trains via a mechanical gearbox, but they had difficulty in then allowing a gearbox which could then take trains up to speed, and while they could make a heavy mechanical gearbox with just one or two gears in each direction which took space to make thegearbox strong enough, and use it at low shunting speeds to shift trains, or with lightweight railcars they could do the same and get them up to speed in this way, when they tried various methods to do the same with locos designed to try and take heavy trains up to speed they ended up smashing the gearboxes or had other mechanical issues where they made locomotives with two diesel engines, one with a gearbox for for slower speeds, and the other with an engine and gearbox for higher speeds, and the result kind of worked but was too heavy (As only one engine in use at a time) to be the answer. The answer came either by the German inventors who used hydraulic gearboxes (Same idea as most automatic car gearboxes have) which their fluidic nature gave a little "Give" into the gearbox OR go doen the route which both British and American inventors first went down which to provide soms "Give" into the system, they used large diesel engines to turn large generators to provide electricity to run traction motors at the wheels.Not very efficient but were reliable. The same idea as hybrid cars have today and why a hybrid vehicle is actually less efficient than a mechaincal or a hydraulic gearboxed vehicle even though they "Claim" to do better gas milage, they rarely ever do. Reliable they are as long as they stick to the engine to run a generator to make current to power electric motors to turn the wheels formula (Along with providing batteries to collect the excess elwctricity being generated to use it on electric power alone at slow speeds. The main advantage of this is NOT in fuel efficiency as that overall is less than an equivalent sized mechanical gearboxed diesel engined vehicle will be but that if one has the ability to also charge batteries overnight, one will have both a theoretically reliable vehicle with the addition of it happening to be economical in low speed electric only city driving use. Use it only for rural driving at higher speeds doing long distances and fuel efficient it is not. But this is also an issue with both steam or gas turbine engines which have other strenghts and weaknesses. Gas or steam turbines lack the torque that piston engines can provide and to shift heavy loads from a standstill on land, their turbines come under a hammering! Why their use at sea where the sea adds a little "Give" to the system they have been in their element, but the shock of trying to turn wheels on a solid surface be it rails or roads does not do turbines any good, and is also why turbines are very in-eficient in starting and stopping when it comes to hauling heavy trains! BUT, turbines were found to be more efficient when powering vehicles in their "Happy" speeds. In other words, if we take heavy trains and first take them up to a certain speed where the turbine is efficient at and is not struggling so much, thd turbine will maintain those speeds on level conditions with using very little fuel to do so, which is why in the USA which had very long distance lines which required much less starting orstopping, the gas turbines locos were a practical solution where as in the UK where overall distances were much shorter and there was far more stopping and starting involved, gas turbine locomotives were trialled and found to be expensive to run and overall had higher maintenence costs (Which was the main failure of the LMS gas turbine steam locomotive tried many years ago, along with gas turbines tried on many occasions since then).

So I am a little skeptical of this new idea BUT it is a little different from the past in how they propose to make steam. (Though one still needs a little moisture content somewhere to give it the torque needed as heating air does indeed give expansion so it is like propelling turbines with wind, but steam via heating water makes it last longer as a source of force towards the turbine...
Take a look at this...

Providing propulsion by air pressure alone via cylinders. It works but needs to have the air recharged regularly as one does not havea lengthy run. Admittedly they are restricted by them not having a compressor to provide higher pressures, but it is still limited in this way. If on alters the design so that one has a firebox and a boiler to heat water to make steam instead, the locomotive will last many times longer on its pressure to power those cylinders. Actually his design may work better with a turbine which can create a much faser turning of his flywheel so a small flywheel woube be better to takeadvantage of this, BUT less overall torque. (He would also need a means to drive that would not wear out at faster speeds so his belt idea would not be a success... So maybe for him he just needs a larger compressor or use steam? (If he had the room for a boiler and firebox! Haha!
But my point is, that for the same effort it takes to compress air, a flame heating water gives more expansion of the air mix to power things than using air alone if that makes sense? So my thoughts on going back to the hydrogen idea is that having a little water to heat with the hyrogen flame, should provide more overall success in theory and not be too difficult to achieve (In theory).

However I am fascinated with the design idea and the only real way to see if it is success is to try it, and converting an old diesel loco for experimental use is a cost effective means to experiment with, and as these are experiments to test things, it is a budget friendly way to do it.(Cheaper than building an entire new loco from scratch!)
Be aware that experimental locos are a means to test ideas. Those ideas may be altered many times before production runs start if they are a success, and if we don't try out ideas how will we ever know if the ideas will.work or not? Even if they don't work, they are actually a major stepping stone in developing ways that do, as ALL experimentation is the best means to know if ideas will work or not and if they don't work, exactly WHY they don't work so we can learn from them and use them as valuable stepping stones to success!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2024, 12:25 pm

Jakki wrote:
Thank you for these Pikkys Auntblabby...those are absolutely lovely images of Locos of that time period .
Think those were in the 1930s , Art Deco Period...... :D :D :) :D

Yeah. The same style as the Chrysler Building in NYC (the prettier near twin of the Empire State Blg).

Those locos in Blabby's pic are soooo cool!

How did we ever learn to live without...art deco locomotives, and jumpin jive music?

https://youtu.be/ZxY3DsWttaY

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2024, 8:11 pm

Am surprised that you're not a fan of the Burlington Northern (because of their trademark).

https://youtu.be/gQcT-tRCpMM

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2024, 5:39 am

I don't know a lot about the American side of things as there was way too much information to gather about the British (Welsh) side of things. Used to concentrate on the Great Western Railway (UK), so there is a lot I don't know. I enjoyed the short film.

I have recently purchased an almost finished model loco built using the same Smallbrook Studio body kit (Clio) as Ruthy (Ruthy is the loco on the right).

The new loco (On the left) will need a few details added, some more paint (I prefer gloss for locos and carriages), and name and number plates before it is ready.

I have also bought this heavyweight tram loco. The prototypes used to run on the Glyn Valley Tramway in Wales many years ago.

The model came from a now disscontinued whitemetal Peco kit (0-16.5) and has a period old Triang-Hornby motorized chassis.