Page 281 of 393 [ 6287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 393  Next

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 6:04 pm

Sekhotep Commands You
My OC Pharaoh Sekhotep of Kemet assumes a commanding position as she gives out her orders.

Although Sekhotep is a compassionate woman who genuinely cares for her people’s welfare and safety, she does have one major character flaw which shapes her story’s progression: arrogance of divine proportions. As might be expected for a monarch raised to believe in her own divinity, she believes her way is always the right way and loses patience with people who question her. Sekhotep’s hubris goes to such an extent that she would mess with the very fabric of the cosmos themselves if she perceived it would help her people. In fact that is exactly what she plans to do when a series of droughts afflicts her country and she wants to mess with the climate’s fate.

A lot of aspiring writers are worried that their characters might come across as so-called “Mary Sues" if they had a lot of positive qualities like beauty, kindness, or martial skill. I used to feel this way too, but now I say that as long as your characters have the potential to experience difficulty and change over the story’s course, they don’t really count as Mary Sues. Besides, Sekhotep is a Pharaoh, so her big personality flaw practically came with the job description anyway.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 7:25 pm

Captain America On the Defensive
The Cap raises his characteristic shield for a blocking maneuver. I don’t normally draw superheroes (in fact the recent spate of superhero movies has dragged on for far too long in my humble opinion), but I remember liking this character’s nobility in The Avengers and so wanted to draw my own interpretation of him. I did take some, ah, creative liberties with his outfit and background though.

Relicanth7
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 11:42 pm

I made this on GIMP by smearing a single gradient point a few years ago...

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 12:12 am

^ Beautiful! It reminds me of fire or an atomic cloud.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 5:08 pm

Island Sunset

I worked on the lighting in the water and the sky in this painting, and also blended in some colors for effect.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 5:15 pm

Zodai wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
Makayla, I like the way you colored her hair and eyes! :)

Thanks!

Is that China in your avatar? That's awesome. :)

I think it's China to the right, the other one is Maya from Ace Attorney.

You're absolutely right, for a little while I was using an avatar of Maya and China!

Now I'm using one of Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney, on the left) and Dr. Derek Stiles (Trauma Center, on the right).

As you can probably tell, I'm addicted to crossovers. I really ought to post some of my crossover artwork in this thread, but it's hard when the pairings I enjoy change on an almost daily basis. Pairing up Ace Attorney characters and Trauma Center characters has been an on-and-off idea of mine ever since I was a teenager though, and I don't really have any other interests besides Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Don't Starve (two other video game franchises where I also ship the main protagonists together, among other characters) so I don't see why I would give up this idea anytime soon. (I gave up on my Ace Attorney x Hetalia crossovers because they didn't make a lot of sense to me in the long run. Maya with China, now that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But pairing Maya, Phoenix's assistant, with Angie, Derek's assistant, now that's a ship I can get behind :wink: )

AManAPlan
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2013, 9:31 am

OK, so i clearly had some trouble posting photos before... Here are the pictures i wanted to post.
They are from a nightstand i painted for a friend.

Green Man by dsimpson81, on Flickr

Painted Nightstand by dsimpson81, on Flickr

Top by dsimpson81, on Flickr

AManAPlan
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2013, 9:32 am

And here are the left and right sides of the piece:

Left by dsimpson81, on Flickr

Right by dsimpson81, on Flickr

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Aug 2013, 9:39 am

^ Those are all beautiful! :)

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 3:28 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
Captain America On the Defensive
The Cap raises his characteristic shield for a blocking maneuver. I don’t normally draw superheroes (in fact the recent spate of superhero movies has dragged on for far too long in my humble opinion), but I remember liking this character’s nobility in The Avengers and so wanted to draw my own interpretation of him. I did take some, ah, creative liberties with his outfit and background though.

He looks . . .native? I am a big fan of superheroes and comic books (I like almost no DCheroes mind you) I can admire the artistic proportions of the piece while not agreeing with artistic liberties and not be offenseive, right?

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 3:31 pm

Little Blue Goblin

I loved drawing his feet!

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 3:52 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
He looks . . .native? I am a big fan of superheroes and comic books (I like almost no DCheroes mind you) I can admire the artistic proportions of the piece while not agreeing with artistic liberties and not be offenseive, right?

What's the problem exactly? Yes, he is supposed to be Native American, which makes sense to me because he is supposed to be all-American.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 6:10 pm

I guess there isn't a problem per se but the original character was from the army, he was white, he was supposed to represent an american ideal that now outdated granted, but his UNIFORM was based off the patriotism of America during the war against nazis and um, the american flag is NOT a representation that would fit any native nation.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 9:28 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
I guess there isn't a problem per se but the original character was from the army, he was white, he was supposed to represent an american ideal that now outdated granted, but his UNIFORM was based off the patriotism of America during the war against nazis and um, the american flag is NOT a representation that would fit any native nation.

I see your point. I just thought it would honor Native Americans to associate them with an all-American motif like the Cap.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Aug 2013, 10:18 pm

I actually like the idea of a Native American Captain America. I've got Native American family members, and they always tease me about being mostly European. :lol:

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:38 am

Pharaoh of the Sun
Another Sekhotep portrait, albeit one with a lot more shine than usual. The multiple earrings have a East African Turkana inspiration (I love mixing ancient Egyptian and sub-Saharan African cultures in my art).

West African Jungle Huntress
I’ve chosen to take a break from my Sekhotep project to work on another original character and story. I don’t have a name for this particular heroine yet, but she is another variant of the “dinosaur-hunting jungle girl" archetype that I love almost as much as I do my Egyptian and Nubian matriarchs. However, this time she’s not a generic Stone Age chick in animal-skin garb, but instead comes from a culture with a coastal West African flavor (think along the lines of Dahomey, Yoruba, or Ashanti). In fact her weapons’ blades were designed using ancient Beninese swords as an influence. I have a lot of characters who are either Egyptian, Nubian, or generically tribal, so I wanted to try a West African heroine for once. West Africa is the origin of most Afro-Diaspora people like African-Americans after all.