Page 285 of 393 [ 6287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288 ... 393  Next

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 5:52 am

This is for my NaNoWriMo this year:

The Holy Chalice of Amun
In bygone days there lived a King of Nubia who pleased the gods through his righteousness and piety, so the Creator Amun rewarded him with this sacred chalice which would grant all his people prosperity and good health so long as it stayed in their hands. Since then the Holy Grail of Amun’s fame has spread across the world, reaching as far north as the isles of Albion (Britain). When the covetous Celtic King Arthur and his warriors travel down to Nubia and steal the Chalice, its guardian Neith must pry it back from their clutches for the good of her kingdom. Not only must she confront the sorceress Morgana who backs up Arthur’s forces, but she must ask herself whether her mission is really as just as she believes…

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 6:58 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
This is a WIP of a paid commission I'm working on. I'm still waiting on how the person who wanted it wants it to be colored. I think it turned out nicely so far.

[img][600:800]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/276/a/d/commission2_wip_by_geekyteen-d6p4rey.jpg[/img]

Okay that is officially badass!!

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

05 Oct 2013, 9:40 pm

This was a comission that someone did for me at KumoriCon 2012; it is a humanized Scootaloo from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic wearing the 1980s-style Seattle Seahawks jersey.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Last edited by equestriatola on 06 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
This is a WIP of a paid commission I'm working on. I'm still waiting on how the person who wanted it wants it to be colored. I think it turned out nicely so far.

[img][600:800]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/276/a/d/commission2_wip_by_geekyteen-d6p4rey.jpg[/img]

Okay that is officially badass!!

Thank you! :D

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 9:17 pm

Me as a 1980s-era Toronto Argonaut (Canadian Football League).

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 11:07 pm

[img][800:559]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/281/5/5/the_chief_s_hut_by_brandonspilcher-d6prwne.png[/img]
The Chief's Hut
The big hut in front is supposed to be the residence of a tribal chieftain somewhere in the mists of African prehistory. Originally intended to be a backdrop for a human character I drew before this, but I feel it also works as its own art piece without any people in it.

I have a soft spot for primitive civilizations like those that appeared in the Neolithic period of human history. For me they represent an evolutionary transition between the wildness of the hunter-gatherer days and the great empires of classical times.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 10:40 am

[img][800:1389]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/281/1/5/domains_of_the_gods_by_brandonspilcher-d6pri35.png[/img]
Domains of the Gods
So here’s a map illustrating another story concept I’ve brewed up recently. It’s about a bunch of gods crashing into a world populated by tribal humans. They use their powers to help the humans and uplift their cultures to larger, more advanced civilizations, but after a thousand years pass, they “expire” or fade away into oblivion. The first part of the story will involve the prehistoric humans meeting their gods for the first time while the second part has their civilized descendents dealing with the consequences of the gods’ expiration.

I am not sure how that second part of the story will end yet. I do know that I want to communicate the theme that humanity doesn’t really need gods in order to thrive after all, but how my civilized people would thrive without the gods that uplifted them in the first place, I don’t know.

Anyway, some possible gods for the setting:

Bruni, the Fire Goddess - Lords over a cold, snowy country in the distant north. Blesses her followers with warmth against the wintry cold and attacks with fireballs. Name derived from a Norse word for fire.

Akheti, the Water Goddess - Lords over a hot and dry savanna country. Blesses her followers with rain for their fields and attacks with thunderstorms and tidal waves. Name derived from the ancient Egyptian word for the flooding season.

Ntangu, the Sun God - Lords over a dark and misty jungle country. Blesses his followers with light and dryness and attacks with blindness, dehydration, and (in the case of lighter-skinned enemies) sunburns. Name derived from a Kikongo word for the Sun.

Oneone, the Earth God - Lords over an archipelago of small islands. Blesses his followers with ground and stone to build upon and attacks with rocky avalanches. Name derived from a Maori word for earth.

Himu, the Animal Goddess - Lords over a rugged desert which has a lot of cacti and other dry-weather plants but not a lot of large native animals. Blesses her followers with game and curses her enemies by turning them into game. Name derived from a Hopi word for animal.

Xylos, the Tree God - Lords over an open, grassy prairie. Blesses his followers with timber and shade and attacks with carnivorous plants. Name derived from a Greek word for wood.

The Water Queen of Akheti
The Water Queen is the highest-ranking of a hierarchy of priestesses serving and carrying out the will of the Water Goddess Akheti. Among other responsibilities, she must bring about the rainy season every year, protect her domain from the godless barbarians who prowl beyond its borders, and supply the Goddess with sacrifices to keep Her going. The position of Water Queen is a matrilineal one inherited from mother to daughter, but she traditionally has a male consort who assists her in military affairs.

This character’s costume design is suppose to give off a vaguely ancient Egyptian vibe, with the crown based off the Queen Nefertiti’s headdress. However, her people are supposed to have a very dark, almost bluish black skin color similar to that of certain Nilotic peoples in our world’s South Sudan.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:44 pm

Totems of the Gods
More concept art for “Domains of the Gods”, a world shared by six deities who have uplifted prehistoric humanity into a more civilized state. Each god has control over one natural element as well as a sacred animal (or Totem) that symbolizes them.

Bruni, the Fire Goddess - Totem is the Tiger.

Akheti, the Water Goddess - Totem is the Crocodile.

Ntangu, the Sun God - Totem is the Triceratops.

Oneone, the Earth God - Totem is the Crab.

Himu, the Animal Goddess - Totem is the Rattlesnake.

Xylos, the Tree God - Totem is the Bison.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 8:45 pm

Here's another improv toon, starring Makayla and I.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

[img][800:727]http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/063/5/1/_he_can_be_a_real_sweetheart____by_rosethethief-d5x0cml.png[/img]

Oh, Fluttercord... I never get tired of drawing you. :heart:

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 6:17 pm

Don't mind me. Just posting some Total Drama art...

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 6:25 pm

Last one for today, guys. Sorry for spamming this thread so much. :P

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 11:39 pm

Back to my old Prismacolors...
Pharaoh Uncrowned
This ruler of ancient Egypt has taken her crown off to give her recently shaved scalp some cool air. When her hair grows out into a ball within a few months, it might provide some cushioning for her various headdresses.

Female Pharaohs may have been rare in ancient Egyptian history, but I have a strange artistic fascination with them nonetheless. I guess it stems from a latent attraction I feel towards strong and independent women who can take care of themselves and still stay glamorous. I don’t buy into this widespread idea held by other guys that women must be submissive in order to stay attractive.

Drawing this character’s peppercorn hair wasn’t the least bit hard, as it only required a few dips of the inking pen. Nonetheless I feel the short peppercorn look is underrated as a hairstyle. Even “natural hair” advocates usually have big Afros, braids, and dreadlocks in mind when they talk about natural hairstyles, as if shorter hair couldn’t look good on women.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 7:49 am

"She smites me when she shakes her buttocks," says one ancient Egyptian love poem recorded on a New Kingdom papyrus, which goes to show that proper gentlemen have always enjoyed a juicy female backside regardless of place or era.

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2013, 1:34 pm

Wow, we have some really dynamic artists here! I've notice two artists I've not seen here before.

Stabilator you have an outstanding style for character illustration, very vibrant and energetic. I could see you illustrating game based products easily, have you considered it?

Put, I can say much of the same with the amazing art you do, reminds me of of Richard Corben and Arthur Suydams art from Heavy Metal magazine. Your art has a very distinctive look.

Do either of you draw non-contemporary (modern) people?

Myself, I've been working the last few weeks so much that I've had little time to put up art but I've managed to get a few things up.They are on my deviantArt page. As they are large, I'll just link them.

Amulet of the Hound Link
Esoteric Order of Dagon ivory amulet Link
Innsmouth Gold Ingot Link
Strange photo from Egypt? Link

The above image is part of my "Pompous Patriarchal Parody Portrait" series where I paint my face into historical paintings, then have them printed up on large canvasses to put up in my new home. It's partly obnoxious, but mostly humorous and fits a common theme.

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

^ Love the jewelry and the parody art at the bottom!

[img][800:697]http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/284/e/9/egyptian_vs_malian_by_brandonspilcher-d6q2vme.png[/img]
Egyptian vs Malian
Two African warriors, one from ancient Egypt and the other from the West African empire of Mali, clash in an anachronistic battle of spears and cowhide shields. I’m guessing it would take place somewhere in the heart of the Sahara Desert, though in real history Mali postdated Egypt by over a thousand years.

I need to do action scenes like this much more often. They can be labor-intensive and messy to produce, but all that effort leads to a bigger payoff in the end. Besides, drawing people just standing there striking a pose like fashion models gets boring after several hundred times.