Page 292 of 393 [ 6287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 393  Next

Monolithe
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2013, 6:20 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
[img][800:600]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/317/6/a/no_aces_up_my_sleeves_by_geekyteen-d6u69q0.jpg[/img]

The colors in the original photo came out dull, so I had to tweak them in Photoshop. The result looks super grainy. Oh well. :shrug:

I'm never doing anything like that again.

Wow, you'r really skilled :D

Last edited by Monolithe on 15 Nov 2013, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monolithe
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2013, 6:27 am

I don't draw as often as i used to when i was a teenager, but on occasions when people wan't me to copy CD's for them, i find it funny to draw a CD cover as well. Here's two I've made in the past:

The above drawing is my interpretation of a more modernized version of Oscar Wilde.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2013, 8:45 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
[img][800:600]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/317/6/a/no_aces_up_my_sleeves_by_geekyteen-d6u69q0.jpg[/img]

The colors in the original photo came out dull, so I had to tweak them in Photoshop. The result looks super grainy. Oh well. :shrug:

I love it!

Unnatural
[img][800:901]http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/319/3/f/unnatural_by_tempertempest-d6udgmw.jpg[/img]

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Nov 2013, 10:53 pm

Monolithe wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

Wow, you'r really skilled :D

Thank you. :)

@Mirror21: Thank you. :)

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 8:21 pm

Dr Crobeci
Dr Crobeci, an ageless humanoid of unknown origins, is cursed to, when confronting an enemy, lose his first fight yet survive. He likes to find things to fight, which is one of the reasons he wound up in this predicament. Calm and unemotional, he never shouts or talks loud, even in stressful situations. He also has no sex drive what so ever. However, despite this, he has some abilities: He can turn into a flock of birds and then reform, healing any injuries, every once in a while, he has extraordinarily fast reactions during combat that allow him to easily dodge arrows and the aim of guns, and strength twice that as a human. He also is immune to poison and disease.

Monolithe
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2013, 10:10 pm

Reminds me about the plague doctors that roamed in Europe during the period of Ca. 1346–53, wearing these costumes to protect themselves from being infected by the black death plague, all the while treating patient's/people who had been infected by it:

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 10:19 pm

Seductive Sorceress
I was tempted to name this character after one of the numerous seductresses and sorceresses of ancient mythology (e.g. Calypso from the Odyssey or Morgan Le Fay from the Arthurian stories), but her design was so much my own that I didn’t know if I could pass her off as any of those figures. Nonetheless, in my imagination she fits the basic archetype of the sultry sorceress who uses both sinister magic and her own temptress’s wiles to get what she wants. The designs on her back are not meant to be body paint but rather beauty scars as found in some Central African societies.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 2:49 am

Nofret's Face Paint
My vision of the Egyptian Old Kingdom Princess Nofret, best known for a semi-famous sculpture on exhibition in the Cairo Museum. In my interpretation her face is supposed to be painted with a yellow-white clay called kaolin. I got the idea from certain African groups (e.g. the Mende of Sierra Leone) where young women may paint their bodies with kaolin-like clay as a symbol of cleanliness and purity. Since female characters in Egyptian art (for example Nofret) were traditionally painted with paler colors than their male counterparts, I figured that might allude to a similar practice of body-painting. We do know that white also symbolized purity in Egyptian culture as it does among the Mende today.

The darker spots on Nofret’s cheek are supposed to represent where the painting is coming off bit by bit, showing her naturally dark skin underneath.

Anarbaculardrop
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

Monolithe wrote:
Reminds me about the plague doctors that roamed in Europe during the period of Ca. 1346–53, wearing these costumes to protect themselves from being infected by the black death plague, all the while treating patient's/people who had been infected by it:

The resemblance was intentional.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 6:46 pm

Naked Truth

I think my art has morphed into one of those, you either like it, or you don't sort of things. Very . . . acquired taste.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 2:24 am

^ I admit the subject matter confuses me, but it is still beautifully drawn, especially her facial features.

The Queen and the Barbarian
I haven't settled on names for these two characters yet, but I do have a rough idea of what kind of story I would like to tell about them. The guy is a vagabond warrior who has come down from the far north seeking prosperity and adventure. Once he lays eyes on the rich and beautiful southern queen, he wants more than anything to win her over even though she views his people as uncouth barbarians. At its core it will be a story about a man's quest to earn not only the greatest love he could ever have, but also an even greater purpose to his life.

I feel that this type of plot line is something most young guys like myself can easily relate to. I can't say I've seen it all that often in the romance novels I've glanced at though, as most of those books seem to center on women's perspectives. I guess most romance writers don't consider that men have romantic fantasies too. That the girl at first appears to be way above the guy's league should add extra appeal, since lots of guys want girls like that.
Another reason I like this idea is its interracial nature, particularly its juxtaposition of ancient Northern European and African cultures. One thing I want to emphasize is that this is not meant to be a "Mighty wh***y" story in which the white male hero "civilizes" the Africans. If anything, it's the African culture in my story which has more wealth, power, and urbanized social organization than its European counterpart. Think of the contrast as resembling that between ancient Egypt, Nubia, or Mali and one of the pre-Christian Celtic or Norse tribes.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 4:18 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
^ I admit the subject matter confuses me, but it is still beautifully drawn, especially her facial features.

I explain no problem. Her head is split open, her outside eyes are darkened, but her inner eye (the brain) is open). no mater what we show from the outside, the inside, the naked truth of ourselves, is unavoidable.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 7:55 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
I explain no problem. Her head is split open, her outside eyes are darkened, but her inner eye (the brain) is open). no mater what we show from the outside, the inside, the naked truth of ourselves, is unavoidable.

I see, it now makes sense. :)

South Sudanese Father-in-Law
If you thought in-laws in the West were demanding, just wait until you meet the ones in traditional South Sudanese societies. Over there, they want you to pay for the wedding with cattle. And I don’t mean figurative cash cows, I mean literal cattle. Then again, America has plenty of cattle already.

The big brown hill in the background isn’t a mountain but an earthen grave pyramid. Much like the ancient Egyptians and Nubians, many South Sudanese societies would honor their dead leaders and prophets with large pyramid-like structures sometimes reaching fifty feet in height. Even to this day some of these pyramids retain some of their past spiritual significance to South Sudanese peoples.

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2013, 7:07 pm

Mirror21 wrote:
Naked Truth

I think my art has morphed into one of those, you either like it, or you don't sort of things. Very . . . acquired taste.

I like it, but I carve human bones and do mostly Lovecraftian themes so I like esoteric surrealism and weird stuff.

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 3:25 pm

I have definitely gotten a love for the surreal.

Smoke N Mirrors

[img][800:830]http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/325/c/5/smoke_n_mirrors_by_tempertempest-d6v2q1a.jpg[/img]

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2013, 3:27 pm

Why does every other picture here have to be of someone's fetish of raunchy tribal black chicks?

I left for like a year and a half, and this thread is still filled with that stuff. Come on, now. This thread is to showcase our talents, not spam everyone's eyes with your repressed sexual desires.