Page 300 of 393 [ 6287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303 ... 393  Next

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 1:06 pm

Jungle Glider
It may look like a bird, but this is supposed to be a dromaeosaurid dinosaur (or raptor) related to the double-winged Microraptor. Given the hot tropical/subtropical climate that prevailed over most of the Mesozoic world, I like to think that vibrant color schemes like you see on tropical birds would have appeared quite often among dinosaurs and related creatures from that time period.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 3:41 pm

Mrs. Fantatic

Watercolor paint/watercolor pencils.

16 Dec 2013, 11:48 pm

your artwork is amazing. i like it.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 10:50 am

How come this thread no longer appears at a Sticky in the Art, Writing, and Music section? At least it doesn't on my computer.

Olmoceratops the Mexican Chasmosaurine
"Olmoceratops" is my (unofficial) name for an heretofore unidentified taxon of ceratopsian dinosaur discovered in the Olmos Formation of northern Mexico back in 2011. So far only one of its brow horns has been uncovered, but at 95.2 cm in length, it likely belonged to a very large dinosaur (for perspective, the horns of Triceratops run only around ~80 cm long). "Olmoceratops" was almost certainly from the chasmosaurine branch of the ceratopsian family tree, but is not to be confused with the earlier-found Coahuilaceratops. I've chosen to reconstruct its appearance as similar to Triceratops's relative Ojoceratops.

Olmoceratops lived during the Maastrichtian epoch near the end of the Cretaceous Period. The Olmos formation from which it was uncovered has also yielded the remains of the hadrosaur Kritosaurus and tyrannosaurid teeth (T. Rex?). Analysis of fossil leaves from the area suggest a humid, tropical rainforest-like habitat, hence the jungle plants I've drawn around my Olmoceratops.

References:
Porras-Múzquiz, H.G, Lehman, T.M, 2011. A ceratopsian horncore from the Olmos Formation (early Maastrichtian) near Múzquiz, Mexico: Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geológicas, v. 28, núm. 2, p. 262-266.

Upchurch, G.R., Estrada-Ruiz, E., Cevallos-Ferriz, S.S., 2008. Did tropical rainforest vegetation exist during the Late Cretaceous? New data from the late Campanian to early Maastrichtian Olmos Formation, Coahuila, Mexico. Eos Transactions of the American Geophysical Union, 89(53), Fall Meeting Supplement Abstract PP11D-07.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

17 Dec 2013, 11:48 am

BrandonSP wrote:
How come this thread no longer appears at a Sticky in the Art, Writing, and Music section? At least it doesn't on my computer.
Hmm - it still does when I checked just now. :scratch:
It's a forum function so the index display of sticky/not sticky threads will be the same for everyone.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 7:44 pm

Cornflake wrote:
BrandonSP wrote:
Hmm - it still does when I checked just now. :scratch:
It's a forum function so the index display of sticky/not sticky threads will be the same for everyone.

I noticed it came back to the topic the moment I posted again. Can't say I know why. :?:

Nefrusobek's Daydreams
My original heroine, Queen Nefrusobek of Kametu, is just lounging around daydreaming or otherwise musing on something. Originally I wanted to draw her as a bored teenage princess still undergoing her royal education, but her proportions came out looking too adult-like like I normally draw her. The headdress she's wearing at the moment is definitely borrowed from the Egyptian Nefertiti, but I want to emphasize that these are two separate characters despite similar headgear and names.

I imagine Nefrusobek must have suffered a rather stressful adolescence. She would have undergone a rigorous education in a variety of subjects to prepare her for ascension to her father's throne. With great power comes not only great responsibility, but a great preparation too.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 8:02 pm

^ she is perfect

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 8:49 pm

BrandonSP wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that the other day, too. 8O

Sketch:
[img][800:644]http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/169/0/4/my_cartoon_heros_wip_by_rosethethief-d53z4rj.jpg[/img]

Final version:
[img][800:644]http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/171/f/2/my_cartoon_heros_by_rosethethief-d5498xj.png[/img]

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2013, 3:15 am

[img][800:919]http://25.media.tumblr.com/63d3603a1531b09fad9847eff0b6cc9d/tumblr_mv2ompdVwd1slcw5ho1_1280.jpg[/img]

Just a rough doodle of a pigeon.
He has muff type foot feathers.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 1:16 pm

^ Nice sketch! Did you have a photo to refer to, or did you draw from your imagination?

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 3:31 pm

Moshemud the Deliverer
For most of their existence, the Yisraalim have wandered the Sands of Shem as nomadic camel-herders without any common leadership. The various tribes would supplement their pastoral economy by raiding each other and merchants' caravans bound for the larger kingdoms beyond the desert. It has been a bleak and volatile existence, but one Yisraali prophet named Moshemud means to change all this.

Believing himself endorsed by the deity Ellahu, Moshemud's ambition is to unify the scattered Yisraali tribes into one greater kingdom that would dominate the whole of Shem at the very least. He also hopes to liberate those Yisraalim who have been captured and enslaved by outside nations such as the Kametians and Babelunyans. Obviously Moshemud's dreams of empire pose a threat to the civilizations beyond the Sands, especially with the divine power he claims to wield.

As you might infer from his name, Moshemud is a conceptual combination of the Hebrew Moses and the Muslim Muhammad. Originally he was going to serve as a minor character in Nefrusobek's story, but now I think he would work even better as a major antagonist for the Queen of Kametu. I should note though that even though he hates the Kametians and other "infidels" with a fiery passion, Moshemud may not necessarily be a total bad guy. He does care for his own people's welfare after all.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 12:45 pm

Simple Watercolor

Was a little bored this morning, so I figured I would practice my watercolor painting. Getting good shades of color for skin and hair, timing practice to avoid runny paint, etc. So that is why I did a basic portrait comic-book style.

Bojoing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2013, 1:58 pm

Watercolors isn't my first choice, but my mom took me to France on my 30th birthday to a watercolor course and here's what I painted in the end.

photo

How do I add/upload a picture??

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 2:22 am

@ Mirror21
I believe your human portraits are getting even better!

Father and Daughter
Memnon, the legendary King of Kush who would fight at Troy, spends some quality time with his beautiful daughter Helen. I think he is telling her how proud he feels to have given the world a woman whose face could send a thousand ships after her.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 9:53 pm

Gaius Julius Caesar
My portrait of one of the Roman Republic's last major statesman, Gaius Julius Caesar. He is perhaps best known for his vicious power struggles with other Roman politicians, his conquest of Gaul (a Celtic country located in what is now France), and his illicit relationship with the Ptolemaic Queen Cleopatra VII. However, I'll always remember him as the arch-villain from the good old Asterix comics.

I was actually a little unsure on the skin tone I wanted to give Caesar here. Roman sources do describe him as relatively fair in color, but then "fair" is a vague and relative term. On the other hand I wanted to convey that he and his Roman compatriots were predominantly of Mediterranean or Southern European heritage and thus would have looked darker than my Celtic and Anglo-Saxon ancestors. In the end I went with what I would describe as a light olive complexion.

Forbidden_Donut
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Dec 2013, 3:28 am

My latest. Ash from Army of Darkness. This was my introduction to the Evil Dead series and is, much to many of my peers' dismay, my favorite of the 3.

[img][800:747]http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag45/TeflonSK/Groovy_pencil_zps68d17da2.jpg[/img]