Page 4 of 16 [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

do you like Heavy metal music
Yes, 37%  37%  [ 104 ]
Yes, 42%  42%  [ 119 ]
no, 10%  10%  [ 28 ]
no, 11%  11%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 282

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 7:49 am

Unavailable in my country, what's in the video?

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 7:51 am

The Comic Strip Presents...Bad News! :D

Basically, another Spinal Tap band/Mockumentary coincidentally released at the same time. :)

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 8:17 am

Cool :)

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 10:25 am

donnie_darko wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:

Different strokes for different folks, as i always say. Shame you've gone and stereotyped it again, most metal bands do not "scream", unless you count the black metal and death metal bands. Broaden your horizons, you'll be surprised, and Linkin Park AREN'T metal.

My horizons are broad, I just don't dig the sound of it. :D

That's how it's meant to sound......

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2012, 2:33 pm

I used to like some metal but I was turned off by "the metal heads" in high school. Macho, bigoted toward anyone "different," not that bright...Switched to punk instead, which seemed a little more open to misfits in my school. Found out in college though that punk fans could be just as bigoted and as dumb as metal fans.

Only now started listening to some metal, particularly Judas Priest (Rob Halford years.) I find it hilarious and cool that the most "macho" of music forms had a major band that sang pretty obviously about being gay way before the mainstream.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 3:11 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
I used to like some metal but I was turned off by "the metal heads" in high school. Macho, bigoted toward anyone "different," not that bright...Switched to punk instead, which seemed a little more open to misfits in my school. Found out in college though that punk fans could be just as bigoted and as dumb as metal fans.

Only now started listening to some metal, particularly Judas Priest (Rob Halford years.) I find it hilarious and cool that the most "macho" of music forms had a major band that sang pretty obviously about being gay way before the mainstream.

Stereotype #2......... How predictably boring.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 3:12 pm

To a point. I now mostly listen to like, pop music, I used to listen to a lot "harder" music when I was younger, more punk rock, metal, etc. Then I just had the change of mind of "you know, the world sucks enough as it is, I don't wanna hear about it sucking all the time" there was just too much negativity in that sort of music. So, I started just getting more and more into pop music, mostly more obscure (in America anyway) pop music, but yeah. But when I was younger, Pantera, Metallica, all that stuff. I thought Pantera was significantly better than Metallica, btw. But now, probably 90% of what I listen to is a girly fluffy poppy love song in one way or another.

However, for metal, I still occasionally listen to 80s metal, to me 80s metal is more metalized pop music, I find it pretty fun to listen to some of that stuff. Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Ozzy occasionally, etc. That sorta thing.

One metal musical style I LOVE is power metal. Power metal is the best really. One thing too, Fabio Lione, the vocalist for Rhapsody of Fire sang quite a few eurobeat songs, so that's how I got introduced to Rhapsody anyway. Also, at least one other guy from Rhapsody sings eurobeat, too, one of the guitarists. But power metal and me just click. Maybe it's the nerdiest metal? It's not about real life, haha. It gets me pretty pumped, it sounds cool, what's not to like? Sure, it's not all about the most deepest complex human emotions ever, but it's fun music.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99nWITtOp_g[/youtube]

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2012, 4:01 pm

LexingtonDeville wrote:
MagicToenail wrote:

Yeah-metal is simply chock full of women, LGBTs and people of color :roll:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 4:08 pm

TheAnomaly wrote:
What I can't tolerate is Jazz. No offense intended to Jazz lovers! I can respect the technical fortitude and all, but it's just the jazz I've heard so far I simply dislike. It's really odd but jazz makes me feel ill, it gives me a migraine and something akin to motion sickness. Its the kind of noise I hear in my head when I am suffering or in a really awful place. I don't understand why people like it, but I accept that they like it for reasons unknown to me. I wish the metal haters would stop criticizing and preaching to me about my taste in music. I love the melodies and technical beauty and intense driving rhythm of metal, the sincere emotionality of it, the lyrics can be complex, deep and meaningful to me and much metal I am into is derived from classical music, that which fills me with a certain spirituality that takes me to a higher realm or existence. I think one's taste in music is not related to whether they are NT or an Aspie. Just as one's taste for certain art, foods or colors is not related to being an Aspie or NT. \m/ \m/

For me, my favorite jazz music is jazz fusion. Jazz fusion is pretty great stuff. It's a fusion of usually, jazz, funk music, and rock.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVe0x8jIfdQ[/youtube]

Japanese jazz fusion by Toshiki Kadomatsu, check that out and see if your mind changes slightly about jazz. My only problem with jazz music is the improvisation just gets to the point of the guy just playing around on instruments for like 10 minutes, and it stops being an actual song. But, if the jazz music like...stays on point in some way, I tend to like it.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 4:26 pm

MagicToenail wrote:

Two people who sometimes visit with the other occupants of my house are black and play thrash metal guitar and drums. At least, that's what I assume they're playing. They might just have really bad rhythm.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 4:58 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
LexingtonDeville wrote:
MagicToenail wrote:

What absolute twaddle :roll: :roll:

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:07 pm

Oh yeah, and I like metal. I don't like thrash/death/black metal, though. I like my organized, polyphonic/polyharmonic stuff, but I can enjoy most everything else outside the aforementioned categories.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:31 pm

kestrel wrote:
Oh yeah, and I like metal. I don't like thrash/death/black metal, though. I like my organized, polyphonic/polyharmonic stuff, but I can enjoy most everything else outside the aforementioned categories.

Fair enough, i'm someone who enjoys all aspects of metal, from thrash/death and black to power/progressive/doom metal and all in between. Life's to short to be close-minded.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:48 pm

There seems to be a lot of stereotyping going on here, that heavy metal is an ignorant, amelodic, angry form of music. That's just not accurate. The term "heavy metal" encompasses an immensely broad spectrum of music, and if you really look closely, you'll find that, in many cases, it defies every single one of those stereotypes.

Lately, every Friday, I've been watching an hour-long program on MuchMusic (although I believe in the States it was produced for VH1) called Metal Evolution. I watched one episode and got hooked. It's something I feel was desperately needed in the heavy metal community, to dispel the negative myths-- an intelligent, scholastic documentary studying the origins of various subgenres of heavy metal, and how each one evolved from an earlier form of music. The very first episode of the 11-part series surprised me, because-- believe it or not, metal naysayers-- much of the episode was devoted to discussing how classical musicians like Paganini and Holst, and blues musicians like Howlin' Wolf, and jazz musicians like Buddy Rich, all profoundly influenced what became heavy metal. Watching Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson talk about how their vocal styles were largely based on Luciano Pavarotti's was quite an eye-opener.

Heavy metal is not ignorant-- just look at some of the progressive bands like Queensrÿche, Dream Theater and Tool, who produce very conceptual music. Musicians who play metal are often much more well-read than you might assume, with Tolkien and Lovecraft being standard sources of lyrical inspiration, and even Herman Melville's Moby Dick serving as the basis of one of Mastodon's albums, Leviathan. It's not amelodic-- I defy anyone to tell me Yngwie Malmsteen hasn't got a firm grasp on musical composition. In some cases-- Nightwish, for example-- metal is borderline operatic. And it doesn't all have to be angry, either-- there is a whole slew of 80s bands like Def Leppard, Motley Crüe, Bon Jovi, and Poison who were more or less about having a good time. Of course, there's something to be said, even for the ones who are a bit harsher, like thrash and extreme metal. Even among those bands, there's often a great deal of instrumental virtuosity. I personally don't listen to Meshuggah, for example, because admittedly I'm not a fan of the vocal style-- but I still respect the band, because I realize their dabbling with odd time signatures has been immensely influential on today's metal scene.

Last edited by Chevand on 19 Feb 2012, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:58 pm

LexingtonDeville wrote:
kestrel wrote:

Fair enough, i'm someone who enjoys all aspects of metal, from thrash/death and black to power/progressive/doom metal and all in between. Life's to short to be close-minded.

I agree - I live In Flames, for example. They're close to thrash. I just like highly organized (or more organized) music, but I'm open to potentially liking anything in any genre.

Offhand, this is an example of what I mean by polyharmonic/polyphonic music:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYEzOXl_0bo[/youtube]

The structure is brilliant. :D Time changes, multiple harmonies layered together in a neat and clean way, etc... it's like an orchestra or something.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2012, 6:32 pm

Tool is metal?
It's an undeniable fact that the "face" of metal is white, hetero and macho. Particularly in Halfords day. You're taking away the subversiveness and genius of Halford by saying otherwise.