More Exciting Adventures From The Goaty Works!

Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2024, 1:54 pm

The OP gives great details on concept of creating locomotion in this post..And uses of more effient concepts of
populsion.. using better engines/ drive systems, that I thought the people in the RR Industry, might have applied to get better fuel savings and the various conditions that they might serve best in ! 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2024, 11:46 am

This lovely little loco with its cast metal underframe looks rusty, so needs a paint in a nice shiny colour. But what colour do I chose? We shall see! Also needs some buffers and couplings to complete the look. :P

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2024, 1:02 am

Black and red and green.. black for the undercarriage... red and green..body..with black trim around the window frames. and in the cab area :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 12:50 pm

Converting an 0 gauge Marklin 4-wheel carriage into a narrow gauge coach. (A project from the past).

The coach started out being too tall, too long and too wide for my narrow gauge railway but it showed potential. In fact, so much potential that it became an easier project than I first thought.

The first thing to do is to carefully disect the coach into parts and then downsize those parts. The origional chassis was not needed and was passed on to someone else, but the end walkways were required to these were removed and kept.
The coach sides and ends were cut to separate them into individual pieces, and the sides were reduced in length by a quarter by removing a window, and the height was reduced slightly to acommodate my narrow gauge loading gauge. The ends were also carefully reduced along with their steps removed and found to be the ideal width needed!

As I loved the new look so much, I decided to make a side door opening option for further coaches, so resin castings were made into Playdough.

I decided to cast these to a slightly reduced window height design.

One does not neccessarily need to have a measuring tape if one has one of these (Far quicker!)

Bulk painting commenced. (One can see the vestible ends in this photo nearest the camera. Note the different window heights on some of the copied sides!)

A new plasticard floor was built.

As can be seen the Playdough castings are not perfect but a whole lot cheaper than using the proper rubber moulding material when one wants to copy just a few parts.

The roof was a miracle, as the internal ribs happened to be the exact same size as was now needed, so when the roof was carefully sanded down to reduced its length and width up to the ribs, the ribs gave the roof an ideal look when assembly commenced.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 1:03 pm

Next comes work on the new chassis but first come the seats and windows. Wooden dowel was cut to the size required and fitted to represent seats.

Now for the underneath.

Home cast resin axlebox/spring assemblies fitted with Romford "Top Hat" bearings and Romford 10.5mm wheels were used. Extra plasticard strengthening support was also added to give the floor sone rigid strength.

Finally some toy soldiers were adapted by filing off their helmets, with their guns and ammunition removed, and clay added to reform hands etc, and they were then painted and added, which looked so much like well known people that someone on another site said Borris Johnson, Prince Harry and Michael Portello, and they certainly looked like them! So this carriage bec omes my railways first class coach for visiting dignatories! :D

Extra plasticard bufferbeams were added ready to fit central buffers and drop loop couplings (Not fitted yet) and we have the almost finished carriage!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2024, 2:02 pm

Very very nice finished product ... almost like you had designed it on a 3 d printer ....Which might require a good bit of programming skills , if you did it that way......Your models are always very original to make things fit together..
The modified plastic soldiers are a nice touch. 8)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 8:59 am

Jakki wrote:
Very very nice finished product ... almost like you had designed it on a 3 d printer ....Which might require a good bit of programming skills , if you did it that way......Your models are always very original to make things fit together..
The modified plastic soldiers are a nice touch. 8)

Thanks Jakki. The soldiers were not quite as easy to convert as I thought as their soft plastic is not so easy to file, but they are do-able.
It would be easy to model soldiers in my little carriages! :D

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 12:59 pm

Hand crafted modelling is usually considered a better thing, to some collectors....I might think ?... :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 1:18 pm

Jakki wrote:
Hand crafted modelling is usually considered a better thing, to some collectors....I might think ?... :D

Many collectors prefer factory made things complete in immaculate unopened boxes which to me is a bit silly, though I do admit to not having run some of mine.

I appreciate things that people have made more than things made in a factory because things people have made are unique and special. Factory made things are made in bulk of a few hundred or more (Usually a lot more) which means ones model can be seen as a copy of other peoples models and not something that is unique.

What I love to do is show pwople how they can make them themselves!

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2024, 3:51 pm

You should make a TINY stencil

DO NOT HUMP OR LOOSE SHUNT

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2024, 8:00 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Many collectors prefer factory made things complete in immaculate unopened boxes which to me is a bit silly, though I do admit to not having run some of mine.

I appreciate things that people have made more than things made in a factory because things people have made are unique and special. Factory made things are made in bulk of a few hundred or more (Usually a lot more) which means ones model can be seen as a copy of other peoples models and not something that is unique.

What I love to do is show pwople how they can make them themselves!

am fearing not as many people are creative as yourself Mountaingoat....but the great possibility is out there ?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2024, 6:20 pm

I recently saw some of these at a show. Interesting stuff, all tinplate and the noise it makes as trains pass!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2024, 7:48 pm

Looks like others got dome ingenuity...skills on building these things ..And they great running,, even the details on the buildings on the Layout. :D :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2024, 8:12 pm

Jakki wrote:
Looks like others got dome ingenuity...skills on building these things ..And they great running,, even the details on the buildings on the Layout. :D :D

Those were not mine. They were factory made from the 1920's onwards. Reproductions are still made I am told.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2024, 10:39 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Those were not mine. They were factory made from the 1920's onwards. Reproductions are still made I am told.

Was writing looks like """Others" ... have some ingenuity too... :D :D