Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2005, 4:54 am

Pop-punk and nu-metal bands aren't always intending to water down genres, for some it's just bands who are a grey area that don't pretend to be anything other than what they are. Ironically, as opposed to traditional pop music, usually the bands that are INTENTIONALLY watering down a genre, as opposed to just doing something different to it, are the ones that don't make the charts, the ones that do usually do so because they stand out beyond the genre, the same reason as any other rock artist that makes it successful.

I'm not going to name name's though, because everyone who ever does usually takes it too far, and I don't 100% know what bands motives are, I just know whether I like their music or not and that's all I'd really want to care about.

For example, Linkin Park's usually dissed by the media for 'watering it down the most' when for one, they're not intending to be anything more than they are, and 2, they're still heavier than many other nu-metal bands out there. Although I found out recently that the real reason Linkin Park is often dissed by the media for things that aren't there is because they do things in an extreme way, and it proves too much for some people so they made up BS rumours that they were manufactured etc. which is quite the opposite to the truth and could've been better directed elsewhere (one of the reasons I like LP over other nu-metal bands is because they're more real, but they do things in such an extreme way that they present an image that they're not- I can tell the difference though). I personally believe the media does this as a way to shift the blame, intentionally to hide bands that actually are corporate, being that the magazines are corporate commercially funded things themselves. Most music magazines are mind rot rubbish, there to cater for the cool kids, and will pretend they're anti-mainstream when really they're just being mainstream in a different way.

Besides, the problem I have with bubblegum pop is that it's uninteresting and has no depth or whatever. When you combine pop/ water down a genre like punk or metal, there's quite an irony in that which makes it even more interesting. One thing I like about rock music is the way it can express so many personalities, and this has only added to that. So I've learnt to appreciate both, that way the record companies attempts to corrupt rock have failed, as they've only made the genre more interesting.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2005, 9:17 am

Relyt wrote:
i think you seemed to have missed the point. pop doesnt just mean popular anymore. like i said, it means a pseudo-version of a genre. or to put it in better words... the washing down of a genre and to change it in a sort of was so that it fits in with the more popular music. ie: poprock, pop-punk, nu-metal.

your reading my thoughts
for the people who have FAILED to realize that pop does NOT just mean popular
SHUT UP JUST SHUT UP AND WHAT YOU THINK IS WRONG ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !
HOW WEAK OF YOU!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!111

POP ALSO MEANS TERRIBLE MUSIC LIKE KORN MCR KELLY CLARCKSON N SYNC!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

LEARN YOUR FACTS!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2005, 6:25 pm

bands hardly make the mainstream nowadays for being original or different.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2005, 8:33 pm

If you want people to rant about how bad mainstream is, start a thread for it...because it could last forever.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2005, 8:56 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
If you want people to rant about how bad mainstream is, start a thread for it...because it could last forever.

this is the thread

-------

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2005, 3:59 am

Popular music doesn't have to adhere to the main stream and pop music doesn't really have a specfic sound. Plently of subversive bands could be considered to pop. The Fall (post-punk, yet they are mastered multiple genres) I would consider to be one of the best pop groups ever. Why? Because they are diverse and have wrote songs with melodies that I find (no matter how discordant) permeating my thoughts throughout the day.
I think most great popular music nowadays has to have a certain degree of eclecticism- after all we are in an post-modern age and in England we are a multi-cultural society.
Pop music should reflect the panean it was forged in, hence why I believe Briteny Spears is dreadful popstar. She may sell millions of records but the music she plays says nothing to me about my life.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 5:51 am

TheViking wrote:
POP ALSO MEANS TERRIBLE MUSIC LIKE KORN MCR KELLY CLARCKSON N SYNC!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

LEARN YOUR FACTS!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

I rest my case about people using the term pop just to define music they don't like. What's terrible is only your opinion.

Although I think I can safely say that N Sync is unarguably s**t music.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 8:10 am

thatrsdude wrote:
If you're talking about bubblegum pop, it's usually anything that has nothing more to offer than singing with no depth , originality or anything interesting in the content of the music. Like manufactured artists from shows like American Idol.

I flet that was about Kelly Clarkson before I heard more of her songs. "Because of You" redeems her for me. It's about a codepredant parent!! ! I admit she's pop, but I can really relate to that song especially and others to a lesser extent so I do listen to her (my dad let me burn an album of hers he had); though that song is pretty much the only one I'll defend the merit of, the rest is just entertaining to listen to.

Though a mean part of me DID love it when "Miss Indepedent" (about a great new boyfriend) and "Snce You've Been Gone" (about a boyfriend actually being an ass) were played on the same playlist at a radio station I listen to. It was like "It's My Party" and "Judy's Turn To Cry" only with a bitter ending for modern times. :)

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 1:52 pm

Maybe pop is short for popsicle music?

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 2:50 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
Maybe pop is short for popsicle music?

is it 1986 again?
cause Every Day Is Halloween

-------

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2005, 9:43 pm

SHUT UP VIKING.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2005, 4:41 am

Amen.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 6:11 am

Serissa wrote:
thatrsdude wrote:
If you're talking about bubblegum pop, it's usually anything that has nothing more to offer than singing with no depth , originality or anything interesting in the content of the music. Like manufactured artists from shows like American Idol.

I flet that was about Kelly Clarkson before I heard more of her songs. "Because of You" redeems her for me. It's about a codepredant parent!! ! I admit she's pop, but I can really relate to that song especially and others to a lesser extent so I do listen to her (my dad let me burn an album of hers he had); though that song is pretty much the only one I'll defend the merit of, the rest is just entertaining to listen to.

Though a mean part of me DID love it when "Miss Indepedent" (about a great new boyfriend) and "Snce You've Been Gone" (about a boyfriend actually being an ass) were played on the same playlist at a radio station I listen to. It was like "It's My Party" and "Judy's Turn To Cry" only with a bitter ending for modern times. :)

Fair enough about Kelly Clarkson. She wasn't really the sort of thing I had in mind. I only said American Idol because I was assuming most people reading were Americans.... The Australian Idol winners are DREADFUL. Shannon Noll is such a f*****g twat.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2005, 3:10 pm

the point im trying to make is
pop sucks

-------

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran