Sci-fi, Aversion to Alien invasion stories?

Page 5 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 8:56 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Grey_Area wrote:
Not as badly as Fox messed up the ending of Firefly when they cancelled it half way through season 1. :x

I've been trying to find a Youtube clip of Serenity going to full burn, or the scene at the end of Bushwhacked where the Alliance cruiser destroys the derelict ship, or the bit in Out of Gas where they put out a fire by opening the cargo bay doors, all of which are accompanied by no sound other than the show's eerily beautiful Chinese/country background score, but all I can find is fan-made videos.

The show had huge potential for morally ambiguous character development, but was sadly cut short before it even had a chance. The 2005 movie, Serenity, attempted to bring closure to some of the main plot threads, but I found the resolutions hurried and unsatisfying, so I just pretend that it's taking place in a different universe to Firefly. :lol:

The thing that really bugged me about Firefly/Serenity was that the never fully (or even partially) explained how Shepherd new so much about the inner workings of the Alliance and space travel, firearms, hand-to-hand combat, and criminal activity.

Well, Shepard was a full commander in the Systems Alliance fleet before being tapped to be a Spectre...

...oops, wrong Shepard. Sorry!

Too what Shepard are you referring?

That would be Commander Shepard of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. He was a Marine commander, assigned to UNS Normandy, an experimental stealth spacecraft designed by human and turian engineers, when he was tasked to join the Spectres, the Citadel's interstellar elite forces group. As a Spectre, he did get lots of experience dealing with criminals, especially if the player took the special side mission from Helena Blake in the Financial District of the Citadel Presidium...

The one i am referring to is a priest.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2010, 10:02 pm

MrXxx wrote:
I much prefer stories where the divisions between good and evil are extremely blurred. Where it's not really about good and evil as a simplistic theme, but more about far more complex relationships. More like reality. Hardly anyone in reality is purely good, or purely evil. I prefer stories where, right from the start, every character is a mix of good qualities and bad. Where everyone is has some beauty, and ugliness, like real people. I realize that many stories do eventually bring things like that to light, and the characters become more complex over time. I'd prefer them to appear that way right off the bat.

I prefer a story that right from the beginning it's hard for a reader/watcher to determine who the heck they want to route for. I don't like it being so obvious. Actually, I really like stories where I might start out unsure, and end up routing for everyone, because they're all working together.

Not sure if it's your type of story, and books rather than TV, but George R R Martin's Song of Fire and Ice is complexity in abundance, and twisty characters with a good mix of ambiguity. It meets your description of requirements. Not hard sci-fi. Gritty fantasy, in a grand history fashion, which is in the process of being a TV series (Game of Thrones).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

One film I would like to see, in the alien invasion theme, would be a faithful version of Niven & Pournelle's Footfall. An interesting conflict between two herds. I do like that book. Well most Niven really.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 6:04 pm

I know that this is a bit off topic but i thought i would post it any way

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDJmMfZaApo[/youtube]

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 7:49 pm

Grey_Area wrote:
The show had huge potential for morally ambiguous character development, but was sadly cut short before it even had a chance. The 2005 movie, Serenity, attempted to bring closure to some of the main plot threads, but I found the resolutions hurried and unsatisfying, so I just pretend that it's taking place in a different universe to Firefly. :lol:

Blake's 7 pretty much did everything first that Firefly/Serenity later did. Morally ambiguous characters? Kerr Avon would probably shoot Jayne within minutes of meeting him, in the back, keep the Tams on board for the same reason he would keep Orac, and quietly plot how to get Serenity under his control. Roj Blake would have probably continued the fight against the Alliance, and what's more, use far more morally bankrupt methods than Mal would (although siccing Reavers onto an Alliance Fleet was pretty nasty). Firefly might have better special effects, but it's really just an Americanised Blake's 7-lite.

On sabbatical...

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 7:56 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Grey_Area wrote:

Blake's 7 pretty much did everything first that Firefly/Serenity later did. Morally ambiguous characters? Kerr Avon would probably shoot Jayne within minutes of meeting him, in the back, keep the Tams on board for the same reason he would keep Orac, and quietly plot how to get Serenity under his control. Roj Blake would have probably continued the fight against the Alliance, and what's more, use far more morally bankrupt methods than Mal would (although siccing Reavers onto an Alliance Fleet was pretty nasty). Firefly might have better special effects, but it's really just an Americanised Blake's 7-lite.

I am a leaf on the wind, Watch how i fly

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 8:11 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Grey_Area wrote:

Lawmakers, lawbreakers, let's fight them all. Why not?

On sabbatical...

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 8:20 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Grey_Area wrote:

no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 8:25 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

Figureheads are very easy to come by. Any idiot could be one. Any idiot, within reason.

On sabbatical...

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 8:28 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

Figureheads are very easy to come by. Any idiot could be one. Any idiot, within reason.

Can't do somethin' smart, do somethin' right

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 9:18 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

Hello there. How are you? Excuse me wandering about your premises but I wonder if you can help me. I'm an escaped prisoner. I was a thief but recently I've become interested in sabotage, in a small way you understand, nothing too ambitious, I hate vulgarity, don't you? Anyway, I've come to blow something up. What do you think will be most suitable?

On sabbatical...

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 9:27 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

Hello there. How are you? Excuse me wandering about your premises but I wonder if you can help me. I'm an escaped prisoner. I was a thief but recently I've become interested in sabotage, in a small way you understand, nothing too ambitious, I hate vulgarity, don't you? Anyway, I've come to blow something up. What do you think will be most suitable?

Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun? Now I'm not saying you weren't easy to find but it was kinda out of our way, and he didn't want to come in the first place. Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 10:08 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Y'all see the man hanging out of the spaceship with the really big gun? Now I'm not saying you weren't easy to find but it was kinda out of our way, and he didn't want to come in the first place. Man's lookin' to kill some folk. So really, it's his will y'all should worry about thwarting.

You know, I can't compete on this level, so I'll bring it up a notch. BAM! Concentrated Avon right here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHLU8fwi80[/youtube]

On sabbatical...

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 10:21 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Titangeek wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

You know, I can't compete on this level, so I'll bring it up a notch. BAM! Concentrated Avon right here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWHLU8fwi80[/youtube]

would be better if the audio was synced with the video.

Operative: "You've done remarkable things. But you're fighting a war you've already lost."

Mal: "Yeah well, I'm known for that."

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 10:45 pm

Holy crap! Did this thread ever go rogue!

Cool! 8) :lol:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 11:00 pm

MrXxx wrote:

I do believe it did. and i have sever quotes that would go nicely here.

Mal: "And Kaylee, what the hell's goin' on in the engine room? Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"

Zoe: "Proximity alert. Must be coming up on something."

Wash: (alarmed) "Oh my god. What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's flying this thing!?" (deadpan) "Oh right, that would be me. Back to work."

Mal: "Well this is one of the crazier things I've heard today and when I tell you about the rest of my day, you'll appreciate..."

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 2:25 am

MrXxx wrote:

Sorry. Turned into a Blake's 7/Firefly pissing contest without warning.

On sabbatical...