Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 1:16 pm

Shleed wrote:
Alternative wrote:
Shleed wrote:
Rammstein are a load of bollocks IMO. Aphex Twin is bloody awesome though. ;)

Aphex Twin is ace. :wink:

Especially "Selected Ambient Works 85-92"

That's brilliant.

Indeed, nothing beats Xtal. ;)

Hell yeah. :D 8)

And "Green Calx", and "We Are The Music Makers." :wink: :wink:

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 2:01 pm

Sorry folks but the BEST band in the WORLD has got to be INCUBUS ! !!

Have a listen ....go on ...I dare ya ! !!

http://www.myspace.com/incubus

Miranda
Raven
Raven

29 May 2007, 9:42 pm

I like Incubus. The first album I heard from them was Morning View and it's still one of my favorites.

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:02 pm

Incubus is alrite. I like how their guitarist uses really odd chords. But the best band in the world? No, I wouldn't say that. The best band in the world is either Porcupine Tree or King Crimson. I challenge anyone to name a band with more technical, creative, or artistic talent than either of those.

Anesthitize by Porcupine Tree is the best song ever. Hands down. An artistic masterpiece. It opens with erie soundscapes by the legendary Robert Fripp over a rather interesting drum beat and lullaby-like piano leads. The lyrics are sung in a haunting yet beautifully ethereal way. They tell the story of a child who has seemingly lost all identity and purpose. Or is it the world around him which is without any reason? As the first stanzas conclude the soundscapes become more chilling as a rasping, tearing sound dies out over the continuous guitar, drums and bass and becomes crescending white noise. As this soundscape blinks out of existence, a guitar solo from Alex Lifeson (guitarist from Rush) begins. It ends on a screaming note as the rythm guitar turns to a more distorted, driving beat which conjures up images of the blank, repetitive world our protagonist lives in. Multiple beautiful synth piano lines begin playing over the beat until the drums start going crazy and the guitar becomes almost heavy-metal fast and hard. The bass continues the old line as the guitar brings in the next set of lyrics with an interesting lead line. The guitar steps aside for a while and lets us hear the next segment of the story. The protagonist lives in a meaningless, drug-like state (although those who pay attention to the language of the instruments could have figured this out by now). After a 7:50 intro, the chorus first plays. It's catchy as any pop song but still technically complex and lyrically disturbing. "Only apathy from the pills in me, it's only me, only you, only MTV, cold philosophy." At this point the drummer sounds like 3 drummers playing at the same time. Everything but the snare drums and a wind-like soundscape remain as the singer recites the next verse. The lyrics grow more disturbing as the protagonist describes his indifference towards the act of pointing a gun at another human being. "We're lost in this mall, shuffling through the stores like zombies. What is the point, what can money buy? My hands on the gun and I find the rage, God tempts me. What did you say? Think I'm passing out." The chorus begins again followed by an awesome bass solo followed by some weird jazz chords and another robotic, repetitive (yet amazingly catchy) guitar riff. A soundscape that can be described as a wonderful chorus of birds and insects leads us back into a metal-like segment consisting of palm muted Iron Madien-esque guitar that explodes into grindcore-like speed riffage. Chorus again, but a bigger lead-in again this time. The cool little bass solo returns over more masterful jet-like soundscapes from Fripp. The main guitar riff appears again until everything abruptly stops. There is a long period of multiple "film score" soundscapes until a nice slow piano part begins playing. Bass and synth come in and turn beautiful into breathtaking. Lyrics begin again, only this time it seems to be some kind of flashback. "Water and soil. Water so warm that day, I was counting all the waves and I followed the short life as they broke on the shoreline. I could see you, but I couldn't hear you. You were holding your hat in the breeze, turning away from me. In this moment, you were stolen. It's black across the sun." The protagonist has apparently passed out from his rage at this blank and loveless world and has reverted to a state of nostalgia. All he can do to preserve his sanity is to remember a time when things seemed to make sense. Piano and synth violin lead this song to it's end. It ends not with a bang, but a whimper. Only 17:46 long? Seems as though only 5 or 6 minutes have passed. As the third track on the album it is clearly the artistic climax, but the rest of the album is no less amazing. The story continues through 3 more songs before the album ends. The best part is how unclear the ending is. Some say it's about a double suicide involving multiple characters, others say only one character speaks throughout the album but the songs are out of order. Others theorize that it may be about murder, some say it's merely a man's descent into insanity in the fashion of Friedrich Nietzsche. But whatever the story behind the character(s) is, it's clear what the album as a whole is about. It is an outcry against our cold, mechanical way of life, our unfeeling towards other human beings, our disconnection with everything in the world except our Ipods. It is the dying scream of reason in this post-9/11 world where fear and uncertainty are poorly hidden behind a thin veil of "progress" and "safety." The album "Fear of a Blank Planet" by Porcupine Tree is nothing short of a masterpiece. I urge those of you who enjoy good music to check it out.

^You see, this is the kind of stuff I do when I can't sleep :) .

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 10:27 am

8) 8)

Sopho wrote:
RAMMSTEIN!! !
Does anybody dare to challenge me on this? :?

RAMMSTEIN ROCKS!! !! !! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kliffhanger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2007, 5:42 pm

Celesty
Battlelore
Aarni
Nile
The Gathering
Kivimetsän Druidi
Arcana
Megadeth
Anthrax
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Manowar
Rhapsody
DragonForce
The Cranberries
Diecell

And of course, many, many game and music sountracks.