Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2005, 1:09 am

*gets out Britney Spears CD* ... that might stop you all from debating about what it means (although you might start yelling loudly to prevent hearing the music - apologies to anyone who likes her, I admit I have listened to her...).

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2005, 3:11 am

TheViking wrote:
the point im trying to make is
pop sucks

Yeah, but it can depend on what you define as pop, as I've been talking about. There's the odd decent pop artist out there, but a lot of it is crap.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2005, 3:44 am

Well pop-music to me isn't groups like N-sync it's everything from Billy Bragg to Goldfrapp.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 8:56 am

pop just doesnt mean popular any more

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2005, 4:52 pm

That is what I've been saying! Pop music is full of diverse sub genres including METAL.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 9:24 pm

ramsamsam wrote:
That is what I've been saying! Pop music is full of diverse sub genres including METAL.

what metal bands do you concider POP?

-------

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 10:15 pm

Oh! Oh! Does Mandy Moore count? :D :lol:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 10:35 pm

TheViking wrote:
ramsamsam wrote:

what metal bands do you concider POP?

I can't answer for him but here's some of the non-pop I'd have to disagree on:

judas priest
ozzy
metallica
megadeth
black sabbath
anthrax
smashing pumpkins
nirvana
foo fighters

Those all, to a greater or lesser extent, are on my pop list. Maybe some of their older stuff is less known or a little obscure but if they've blown up on MTV or if everyone in their day knew who they were then yeah, I'd say their pop (I'll cut some slack to old Headbangers Ball though - I was contemplating Pantera but I dropped em off to be fair). Not dissing that stuff, just that I think the only places you really break out of that on the rock side are either true grassroots indie, any variety of hardcore/dark/grind/deathmetal, and then you can cut yourself out on the industrial side as well because there are a lot of bands more in the gear that Skinny Puppy was in that people but who's names hardly got out much (KDC, Sister Machinegun, etc.). On Minor Threat, yeah, I'd have to agree - Fugazi on the other hand is kinda debatable...

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2005, 4:26 am

judas priest, metallica, megadeth, black sabbath, anthrax... all not pop. unless you're referring to metallica's post-first-four-albums.

pop-metal is basically nu-metal, ie: Korn, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Coal Chamber, Linkin Park, etc.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 4:51 am

Relyt wrote:
judas priest, metallica, megadeth, black sabbath, anthrax... all not pop. unless you're referring to metallica's post-first-four-albums.

I guess I'm thinking of the bands in the here and now, whether it's new music or everyone still listening to a cd from the 70's or 80's. I agree though that at the time it wouldn't have fit the bill but a lot of that stuff has really been woven into our culture.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 7:55 am

Relyt wrote:
=
pop-metal is basically nu-metal, ie: Korn, Mudvayne, Slipknot, Coal Chamber, Linkin Park, etc.

thats right
and nu metal really ISNT metal

-------

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 8:56 am

Relyt wrote:

No more so than calling something like The Offspring or Green Day pop-punk. Not that I'm arguing that.

But then there's those bands that are NOTHING MORE THAN pop disguised as metal, like Sevendust, who consist of the same sort of jocks that many pop artists consist of. But I actually have a soft spot for those sort of bands, there's a certain irony in combining pop and metal that makes their music more interesting, which is why I'm often drawn to those bands. Besides, I don't hate all pop, and the fact that an artist even tries to be better than that makes them better than those sh***y bubblegum pop tarts we hear about. In fact, it's bands like that that are the sort of pop I like. And if they write their own songs and play their own instruments, nothing to complain about there.

But the bands you listed above do have plenty of things about them that are more credible than that. I've read the history of metal, and I agree that nu-metal is not metal, but I appreciate both genres for what they are on their own. The same can be said about punk and pop-punk (although I can't stand bands that are on the bottom end of pop-punk - Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Blink 182, MXPX, New Found Glory etc... but that's just me).

By the way, I don't like Limp Bizkit very much, and I hate the guys from Papa Roach, the same way I don't like the guys from Good Charlotte, as well as that all three bands music is quite lame, but that's just my opinion.

I'm only saying all this because a lot of bands I like happen to be nu-metal bands, no I don't claim myself to be a metalhead, but it's no different from anyone who listens to any other genre other than metal. I do like some real metal, especially melodic stuff, but many others don't appeal to me as much, the heaviness just goes through me and I find any artist with nothing more to offer than that to be rather boring, except in the rare cases where they're so good at what they do I have to take notice. Depends on what state of mind I'm in I guess.

I also hate being associated with those stereotypical nu-metal kids, I only particularly like stuff on the more credible end of the genre, but looking at the facts, it's often bands that actually get the most criticism for being the opposite (like Linkin Park, although I recently found out that's because the media have been presenting a lot of BS that's not even close to the truth about them for various reasons which I think I've already said in this topic, and could've been better directed at just about every other nu-metal band other than them)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 2:23 pm

TheViking wrote:
Relyt wrote:
=

thats right
and nu metal really ISNT metal

I know what your saying, it is kinda matched with being the really 'in' commercially-pushed style right now but at the same time I'd think there's been an element of that in any era - albeit smaller since the mainstream used to be less tolerant of it.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 8:45 am

this thread was made for talking about bands that are NOT pop

-------

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 9:41 am

That depends on what you define as pop.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 3:58 pm

thatrsdude wrote:
That depends on what you define as pop.

pop is soft corperate music like kelly clarckson the beatles alanis morsette

lets talk about punk (NOT pop punk or emo/screamo) metal (not nu metal and metalcore) industrial music etc. etc.

-------