Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 10:11 am

What do you guys think of the story?

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2009, 11:37 am

Kinda bizzar, I mean, they are two kids who looked at each other at a party and claimed to have "fallen in love" to the point of suicide. It was obviously just their hormones which made the whole thing unrealistic and not romantic in the least bit. It was infatuation at the very least.
I like Shakespeare's puns though...

"The bawdy hand of the clock is on the prick of noon"'....

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 12:04 pm

Elementary_Physics wrote:
Kinda bizzar, I mean, they are two kids who looked at each other at a party and claimed to have "fallen in love" to the point of suicide. It was obviously just their hormones which made the whole thing unrealistic and not romantic in the least bit. It was infatuation at the very least.
I like Shakespeare's puns though...

"The bawdy hand of the clock is on the prick of noon"'....

Or Mercutio's last line - "Call on me tomorrow, and you will find me a grave man."

I'm endlessly amused, however, at how the story of Romeo and Juliet is so often brought up as a "classic tale of love". "They're like Romeo and Juliet!" I hear teenage girls squeal. And they look at me oddly when I reply, "You mean that he's going to poison himself, then she's going to stab herself to death over his corpse?" I guess nobody gets all the way to the end any more...

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 12:49 pm

I always thought it was stupid too - If not for the tension between the two families they would have gotten married, and gotten sick of each other. Romeo probably would have cheated on Juliet, etc..... It's better that they died. :lol:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 2:47 pm

Since we read it in three of my four years of high school English (one year was American Lit), I find it annoying, as with any Shakespeare play. It's why I took Later American Lit in college.

Chaucer, on the other hand, kicks a**! Gotta love the Miller's Tale in the Canterbury Tales.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 7:39 am

It's ludicrous and contrived, but it works.

I love West Side Story, the Dire Straits song (which you may just possibly have guessed already, given my propensity for quoting from it :lol: ), and the DiCaprio film.

The year is still young.