Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2010, 8:21 pm

Anyone read the book, and thinks there's something autistic about Renton's way of thinking? Some examples from the best episode in the book:

Quote:
Me junk behaviour is anal in concept, attention-seeking, yes, but instead of withholding the faeces tae rebel against parental authority, ah'm pittin smack intae ma body tae claim power over it vis-a-vis society in general.

Quote:
Ah despised masel and the world because ah failed tae face up tae ma ain, and life's, limitations.

Quote:
Success and failure simply mean the satisfaction and frustration ay desire. Desire can either be predominantly intrinsic, based oan oor individual drives, or extrinsic, primarily stimulated by advertising, or societal role models as presented through the media and popular culture. Tom feels that ma concept ay success and failure only operates on an individual rather than an individual and societal level. Due tae this failure tae recognize societal reward, success (and failure) can only ever be fleeting experiences for me, as tha experience cannae be sustained by the socially-supported condoning of wealth, power, status, etc., nor in the case ay failure, by stigma or reproach. So, according tae Tom, it's nae good tellin us that ah've done well in ma exams, or got a good job, or got off wi a nice burd; that kind ay acclaim means nowt tae us. Of course, ah enjoy these things at the time, or for themselves, but their value cannae be sustained because there's nae recognition ay the society which values them.

What Tom's trying tae say, ah suppose, is that ah dinnae gie a f**k. Why? So it goes back tae ma alienation from society. The problem is that Tom refuses tae accept ma view that society cannae be changed tae make it significantly better, or that ah cannae change tae ccommodate it. Such a state ay affairs induced depression on ma part, aw the anger gets turned in. That's what depression is, they say.

Quote:
Basically, aw ah ask is that c***s mind their ain business and ah'll dae the same. Why is it that because ye use hard drugs every c**t feels that they have a right tae dissect and analyse ye?

Once ye accept that they huv that right, ye'll join them in the search fir this holy grail, this thing that makes ye tick. Ye'll then defer tae them, allowin yerself tae be conned intae believin any biscuit-ersed theory ay behaviour they choose tae attach tae ye. Then yir theirs, no yir ain; the dependency shifts from the drug to them.

Society invents a spurious convoluted logic tae absorb and change people whae's behaviour is outside its mainstream. Suppose that ah ken aw the pros and cons, know that ah'm gaunnae huv a short life, am ay sound mind etcetera, etcetera, but still want tae use smack? They won't let ye dae it.

They won't let ye dae it, because it's seen as a sign ay thir ain failure. The fact that ye jist simply choose tae reject whit they huv tae offer. Choose us. Choose life. Choose mortgage payments; choose washing machines; choose cars; choose sitting oan a couch watching mind-numbing and spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f*****g junk food intae yir mooth. Choose rotting away, pishing and shiteing yersel in a home, a total f****n embarrassment tae the selfish, f**ked-up brats ye've produced. Choose life.

Well, ah choose no tae choose life. If the c***s cannae handle that, it's thair f*****g problem. As Harry Lauder sais, ah jist intend tae keep right on to the end of the road ...

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2010, 1:38 am

Thank you.

No, I have not read the book, but I got enough of the message from the movie to draw pretty much the same conclusion.

Again, thanks for having the balls to post this. It's when we decide to share our strange and perverted thoughts with others that those others, too frightened by the prospect of loosing the same thoughts, finally realize they aren't alone.

Not a Christian, just a thinker.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2010, 11:47 am

masterdieff wrote:
Thank you.

No, I have not read the book, but I got enough of the message from the movie to draw pretty much the same conclusion.

Again, thanks for having the balls to post this. It's when we decide to share our strange and perverted thoughts with others that those others, too frightened by the prospect of loosing the same thoughts, finally realize they aren't alone.

I really think you should read the book. The movies says things like "There are no reasons when you've got heroin", but the book is about understanding why choosing heroin in the first place.

The whole intrinsic vs extrinsic desire things, and wanting to gain control on your own body, hating this search for the holy grail, and the refusal to accept the "logic" behind society's trial to make you mainstream - it all sounds very autistic to me.

"Society invents a spurious and convoluted logic tae abosorb abd change people whae's behaviour is outside its mainstream" - classic autistic VS NT feeling, in my opinion.

Last edited by Omerik on 31 Jan 2010, 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 6:18 pm

Loved the book and the fact that it had its own language. I don't think any of the main characters are AS but it was still an amazing book all around. Irvine Welsh is great at capturing how the artists on the edges of society think and feel.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 8:37 pm

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2010, 10:08 pm

Omerik wrote:
I really think you should read the book. The movies says things like "There are no reasons when you've got heroin", but the book is about understanding why choosing heroin in the first place.

The whole intrinsic vs extrinsic desire things, and wanting to gain control on your own body, hating this search for the holy grail, and the refusal to accept the "logic" behind society's trial to make you mainstream - it all sounds very autistic to me.

"Society invents a spurious and convoluted logic tae abosorb abd change people whae's behaviour is outside its mainstream" - classic ausistic VS NT feeling, in my opinion.

I know they might only barely touch on the subject in the movie, but from little they did I completely got the message. Most notable in regards to this is the part where Renton's voiceover talks about how one of the main reasons society looks down on 'junkies' is because it reflects their failing as a society. I'm not sure how much of this I got from the movie, and how much I got from absorbing book quotes online, but that alone was enough to completely spell the message out for me.

Yes, ostensibly the specific message there is about society's perception of the drug user, but from that you can deduce the user's feelings about society. That, and the fact that I am both AS-positive, so to speak, and my main obsession is psychopharmacology, are all I needed to sympathize with the message on a very, very deep level.

I really ought to read the book, though.

Not a Christian, just a thinker.

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2010, 2:54 pm

I've not read trainspotting but read most of his other stuff. Thought Glue was brilliant.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 12:13 pm

Judging by the Scottish dialect evident in those excerpts, I don't think I'd have the patience to plough through a whole book's worth of that.

I gave up on Huckleberry Finn for a similar reason.

potty245
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2010, 6:03 pm

whats this book called and who is it by

[/quote]Judging by the Scottish dialect evident in those excerpts, I don't think I'd have the patience to plough through a whole book's worth of that. [quote]

Thinks scotish dialect is nice and ay understand it :D :P