Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

It's going to be about a character with Asperger's. The character's going to be a guy but they'll have the same symptoms as me. I hope this won't start some kind of new stereotype. Just because the character's based off me doesn't mean I don't care about other symptoms, or that people should believe every aspies like that. Especially because my character's pretty high functioning.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 10:14 pm

if you at least have AS it should be truthful so we won't mind.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:26 am

theaspiemusician wrote:
It's going to be about a character with Asperger's. The character's going to be a guy but they'll have the same symptoms as me. I hope this won't start some kind of new stereotype. Just because the character's based off me doesn't mean I don't care about other symptoms, or that people should believe every aspies like that. Especially because my character's pretty high functioning.

Problem is, it's unavoidable to accidentally imply a stereotype to the reader who's not exactly up to speed with knowledge about AS. If anything only a broad array of fictional works which portray different experiences and behaviours of Autistic/Asperger people would mitigate such stereotyping risk.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 4:22 am

i would say write your book how you want.prejudice exists in the hearts of people and some people cant see anything but themselves in any portrayed charactor.if we didnt write books that some people might view in a stereotypical light,borders,barnes and noble,amazon and public libraries wouldnt exist

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Jan 2012, 8:11 am

[Moved from Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation to Art, Writing, and Music]

Trinidy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2012, 9:33 am

My Character Claire has Asperger's, but it's not revolved around her diagnosis, actually I don't think I even put a name to it until halfway though the book.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 10:25 am

If your novel is about Asperger's then you carry a heavy responsibility. If it's a story about something else involving a character with Asperger's traits, you shouldn't worry too much about your portrayal per se, and focus more on writing your story in such a way that the characters seem real.