How to create custom figurines of my original characters

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2014, 7:06 pm

Hi, I'm just wondering, where might I find someone who manufactures small figures of original characters, in small quantities (<100), for a reasonable price?

You might know my popular webcomic, Dude, I'm An Aspie. People really like my character Fuzzy and his friends, and I think there might be some interest if I were to make them available as collectible figures.

I'd be looking for someone to create a figure based on my drawings, manufacture the figures, and ideally, set up a "storefront" to take orders and ship so I don't have to do that.

Just researching right now to see what's possible, so please share any ideas. Thanks!

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 7:10 pm

wiki/3D_printing

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2014, 7:56 pm

1401b wrote:

Yes, someone suggested a site like Shapeways. Looks good, but I would need a 3-D character design.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 6:48 am

This is something that I'm going to be looking into soon. Between my writing, and my painting miniatures and love of RPGs, I'm so doing this in the future.

As for designing, it's been a while, but I used to use a program called Poser versions 5 and 6 to make 3-D figures. I don't know how well autocad actually works for this, but I'm going to assume that there is software that lends itself really well to creating 3-D characters.

I also know that there are 3-D scanners. A larger sized production can be scanned in and then the data from it can be used to create a smaller miniaturized version. This may require a knowledge of sculpting or doll making or something else.

All of this is beyond me in its entireity at the moment, but it's something I'm looking to get into by the end of the year and figure out.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2014, 6:26 pm

There are some free 3D design programs like Autodesk 123D and Tinkercad. I might try those out. Has anyone used those?

http://www.shapeways.com/creator/tools