Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Aug 2012, 8:31 pm

Anybody else here into these?
Discovered them about three months ago and I've become full on obsessed. I've been listening to them several hours a day for a few months and I'm in the process of buying several of their band t shirts. I think I'm actually addicted.
So yeah anybody else dig a bit of Billy Corgan?

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

Yep, I'm a fan too. BTW, some also theorize that Billy Corgan is an aspie. If so, maybe that's why I see the appeal?

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Aug 2012, 9:31 pm

I've heard that too. But I'm not sure he's an aspie. After watching a few of his interviews he seems pretty social and socially expressive. He MAY be an extremely mild aspie. But then he'd probably be even milder than me and I don't think that's possible heh.

spacedog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2012, 9:48 pm

Yes. I love their music. rhino, zero, and today are some of my favorite ways to get mellow.
They are me feel better soothers.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 11:24 pm

Anyone enjoy the new album with only bill corgan left?

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Aug 2012, 9:36 pm

thewrll wrote:
Anyone enjoy the new album with only bill corgan left?

Yeah it's pretty good. Better than I expected! It's got nothing on gish, siamese dream and MCIS though of course. I'm too wrapped up in listening to their older stuff and Billy with Zwan though at the minute to really give it too much attention.
What'd you think?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

It's definitley different. It seems a lot emotional/melodic than the original lineup but it's still good.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

I used to love their work along the lines of Siva but now I find Billy Corgan's voice completely unfitting and think they lost a lot of their edge after their first album...Stand Inside Your Love and Drown being the only two on later releases I ever truly got into.

I love their guitarwork though on songs like Rhinoceras, had a lot of potential.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

birchbark
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2012, 10:57 pm

I was completely obsessed with the pumpkins, back in high school. I haven't listened to them in several years, but now I sort of want to :-) I could never get into the later stuff though...they started to lose me somewhere after Adore, but I still have just about every release before that tucked away in a closet somewhere.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 11:06 pm

Siamese Dream was among my introductions to grunge or whatever when I was like 12. It is definitely a top 5 90s album for me and may be #3 behind only Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Superunknown

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2012, 11:36 pm

I miss music from the 90s.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 7:50 am

marshall wrote:

I miss the contrasts between soft and heavy the '90s rock had...Smashing Pumpkins had a sweet sound but surprisingly no vocal variance which is bad when they feel unfitting. Meat Puppets, Blind Melon, Live, etc. are all better than the radio music of today (except for some bands like Breaking Benjamin.)

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 2:51 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
marshall wrote:

I miss the contrasts between soft and heavy the '90s rock had...Smashing Pumpkins had a sweet sound but surprisingly no vocal variance which is bad when they feel unfitting. Meat Puppets, Blind Melon, Live, etc. are all better than the radio music of today (except for some bands like Breaking Benjamin.)

The thing that's cool about 90's bands is the variety of subjects they would cover. It sort of reminds me of the late 60's and 1970's when not everything was about trite, romantic themes and people covered more varied subject matter. Plus, bands like Smashing Pumpkins were not afraid to experiment with different sounds and textures than are typical to popular music.

As far as the vocals go, Corgan has more range than most of the singers that are popular on the hard rock stations of today. Some of the vocals can be sad, some angry, and sometimes he switches between the two. Nothing they ever did was happy, perhaps a good part of the reason I like them. I have always thought artistic expression never reaches it's full flower until it is melancholy. The emotion is more raw and honest that way.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 3:31 am

Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness is one of those childhood defining albums for me. I was young but my sister who was in Highschool at the height of their popularity would always play it. I've come to associate 1979 (the song) with summers spent out at the pool and I still enjoy. Siamese dream is my other favorite album and Machina is alright. Adore has a few gems but I agree that the band really lost its omph after people started leaving. I listened to some of Corgan's newer stuff and it just doesn't resonate with me at all, I don't hate it, but it lacks a certain something that makes me want to bother listening over and over. I'll probably be flailed for saying this from the older posters but I really think Gish sounded kinda generic.

Billy Corgan and The Smashing Pumpkins, as mean as this may sound, are definite has beens now. The guy is talented but his 90's stuff (and his original groups) was the best. I also agree with missing 90s music too.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2012, 11:10 am

outofplace, I could never hear his vocals contrasts personally. Could be msot of the music I listen to gos between growls/screams and singing so the more subtle parts become harder to notice.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2012, 1:03 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
marshall wrote:

That's because Billy Corgan just doesn't sound good at all when he tries to yell and sing at the same time. He did that on a few of the heavier songs on MCIS and it sounded terrible for the most part. BWBW was the one angry/heavy song that actually worked on that album IMO. I liked the softer more experimental songs on that album more. Siamese Dream was the superior quality album as far as hard guitar driven rock goes.