Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

smenon3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2014, 11:16 am

Hello all,

I am a big Eminem fan and hip-hop fan in general. Eminem mentions that he has Asperger's on a song called Wicked Ways, which is on the deluxe version of The Marshall Mathers LP 2. In addition, his song Legacy of the same album concerns the daily struggles and what it feels like to have Asperger's. I would like to meet Eminem as I connect a lot with his all of his music, not just these two songs. It would be amazing for Eminem to also talk about his Asperger's in an interview or something, or for him to do some charity work for spectrum disorders. Any thoughts on this?

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 11:32 am

Wow, I had no idea Eminem had AS.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Autinger
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2014, 11:50 am

Me neither, makes sense though.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 12:17 pm

I seem to remember some of the lyrics you're referencing, although they're a bit of a surprise to me. I've always personally identified more with indie/underground artists but I'm happy to see my condition blended so cleanly into pop culture. I could guess at hundreds of other rappers who might share my HFA experiences, but I'll digress; we're examining a very delicate advocacy process.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

smenon3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2014, 12:57 pm

Why do u say it is a delicate advocacy process? Wouldn't the support of the 2nd best selling male artist of all time be great?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 1:21 pm

One of the best producers of all time, in any genre proximate to hip hop is Moby, Eminem as far as I'm aware might STILL be feuding with him over dumb s**t like homophobia and violently embellished profanity. Clinically speaking it's quite likely that Moby is on the autism spectrum as well, given time to analyze his lyrics and tropism. Believe me, we don't want ANY infighting while we're being stereotyped as mass shooters and, in Marshall's case, stereotyped reflexively as more or less everything bad about dudes from middle America.

I can even provide an example of Eminem's poetic tone outside of his discography - I'm betting you'd really like the South African duo Die Antwoord...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

smenon3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2014, 2:13 pm

I do understand your concern about the stereotype associations. However, Eminem is no longer homophobic, as he supports gay marriage and is best friends with Elton John. He has come to peace wjth his mother, does not allow swearing in his house, and wishes to treat women respectfully now.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 3:48 pm

Eminem forgave his mother years ago, and even admitted that he still loved her.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm

I've never really liked his music, but I will admit that he definitely has a penchant for stringing words together really fast. In some ways it would surprise me if he was an aspie, but in other ways it wouldn't.

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2014, 6:17 pm

I made a thread previously about this years ago, it's funny that this is being brought up again. I love Eminem too. Btw a made a thread about the song "Rainman" and Eminem being autistic but most of the people in that room thought it was silly and was not true that he's on the spectrum.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 6:20 pm

If you watch the movie "8 Mile," you will see that the character played by Eminem sometimes suffers from sensory overload. There were times when he had to withdraw to just be by himself.

TheHermit
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

Interesting. "Legacy" is pretty good and has some telling lyrics for sure.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 9:04 pm

Did he get an official diagnosis, or is it a self-diagnosis?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jun 2014, 3:26 am

smenon3 wrote:
Eminem mentions that he has Asperger's on a song called Wicked Ways,

No he doesn't.

"Guess I got a way with words, I could get away with murder
Ever heard of Aspergers'? It's a rare condition
It's what you're suffering from
When you simply don't care if it's an
80 degree day and there's no fricken air conditioning
And you can't see the b****?s hair is frizzing
Cause you got the windows up
Blaring the system in your Chevrolet Prizm"

He just said "Aspergers" to rhyme with "murder", he didn't say "I have Aspergers".

"Legacy" is perhaps stronger evidence, but frankly "feeling a bit different to other people" is a universal feeling, and if anything autistic people are less prone to the sort of rebellion he talks about. He doesn't say anything specific to autism by any means. And note that he said:

"And I don't need no goddamn psychologist
Trying to diagnose why I have all these underlying problems"

so it's unlikely he has any diagnosis.