Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 4:58 pm

Yeah f***ing awesome, have recently acquired a lot of metal and a couple punk vinyls because apparently bands are still releasing them like new bands. There is just something awesome about hwo vinyl sounds, does anyone else really enjoy it preferred to other forms of listening to music.

Princessdracula
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2014, 5:18 pm

Ah I love when soemone realizes they still make vinyl and it's still "thing" but that part of my life has ended i used to be like super Duper obsessed with vinyl and spent like every penny I had on records but I've since given my **collection* away to friends an sold some more rare stuff..
WHAT Did you GET ANY highlights TO YR RECENT Acquisition??

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 9:36 pm

I own hundreds of vinyl records. Mostly classical stuff, but there's other stuff mixed in. We have a lot of stuff that was never re-released in a new format. Vinyl is best for sound!

The biggest problem is how heavy it is.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 10:57 pm

CD is capable of sounding as good as vinyl, but there is an odd industry practice holding the CD back. They put a loud/clipped master on CD/digital and then they give the vinyl version a more dynamic one.

This is why I download needle drops.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 2:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah f***ing awesome, have recently acquired a lot of metal and a couple punk vinyls because apparently bands are still releasing them like new bands. There is just something awesome about hwo vinyl sounds, does anyone else really enjoy it preferred to other forms of listening to music.

Too bad we don't live in the same town.

Have to move to a smaller place, and can't keep all of my 600 vinyl LPs. A wide variety but the main portion is Seventies' classic rock. You'd be welcome to take your pick. But we live in different time zones.

Oh well.

Ghonx

19 Oct 2014, 8:54 am

I'm totally into vinyl 8) . so much so, that i'll get a vinyl album even if I have it on cd/mp3. there's the physical side of 'having' a LP, and there's as previous posters say, a 'true' sound to vinyl.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

Princessdracula wrote:
Ah I love when soemone realizes they still make vinyl and it's still "thing" but that part of my life has ended i used to be like super Duper obsessed with vinyl and spent like every penny I had on records but I've since given my **collection* away to friends an sold some more rare stuff..
WHAT Did you GET ANY highlights TO YR RECENT Acquisition??

Sort of, but I don't know I like all of what I got a special edition album of a band called Electric Wizard that came with a code to download it on MP3 so I can put it on my phone and listen to it while walking around(not on vinyl of course but good songs either way), Then the Ghost album I got is awesome. Then I got some kind of random albums of more local or underground sort of bands that where rather low priced to check some of it out and wasn't disappointed most of that was black metal and some punk/thrashy sounding stuff.

But yeah sometimes various ones will have patches/posters or other cool stuff....too bad this store doesn't specialize in psychedelic rock as well.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 1:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Too bad we don't live in the same town.

Have to move to a smaller place, and can't keep all of my 600 vinyl LPs. A wide variety but the main portion is Seventies' classic rock. You'd be welcome to take your pick. But we live in different time zones.

Oh well.

Damn that is too bad, that is a lot of vinyl though.

SwampOwl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2014, 3:17 pm

I much prefer the sound of vinyl. As a collector, I try to find originals rather than re-issues, but I did buy a re-issue of Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, even though I already have it on CD. I was amazed at how much "fuller" the sound was.

Being completely obsessed with music, I tend to collect a little bit of everything. But its always a thrill to be digging through a crate and find old industrial, metal, punk, or goth. Which is a bit of a rarity where I live.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 10:37 pm

Ah, I love the vinyl sound. You should take the time to know why that is?has to do with laws of physics and how grooves are cut. When mastering for vinyl, you're dealing with so much more attention to detail to even get it to sound right. Vinyl mastering is the ultimate audio quality control.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 6:58 am

Ah, I love the vinyl sound. You should take the time to know why that is?has to do with laws of physics and how grooves are cut. When mastering for vinyl, you're dealing with so much more attention to detail to even get it to sound right. Vinyl mastering is the ultimate audio quality control.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 3:57 am

AngelRho wrote:

Yeah that would be interesting to look into as I do not know much about the process that goes into making vinyls...I was talking to someone yesterday and they mentioned vinyls can also sort of effect the brain different then say a digital copy, would make sense since the way the sound is created is different, causing somewhat different sound so different formats of music have a different feel/sound to them if that makes sense.

I also like cassette tapes, I imagine those are more simple to create than vinyls to.....I mean you can get a blank tape and record stuff on it, can't really get a blank vinyl and put stuff on it.

Aspiringeccentric
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2015, 10:16 am

I've heard that there is a difference about how the reissued vinyls are made compared to the vinyls made in the 80s and earlier. Is that true and does anyone know what the difference is?

Kate.com
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2015, 10:24 am

Oh I agree! On vinyls the sounds is rich. Seems to have a quality that can only enhance music.

I've kept a stack of records from my dad. Old opera and choral works. Then some Beethoven. The sound is markedly better than CD's and MP3

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 11:38 am

Definitely vinyl. It has a depth that the digital counterparts can't reproduce. I love vinyl and have a huge collection.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 12:11 pm

Aspiringeccentric wrote:
I've heard that there is a difference about how the reissued vinyls are made compared to the vinyls made in the 80s and earlier. Is that true and does anyone know what the difference is?

I think perhaps it might depend on the vinyl record....I think sometimes re-issues in general are lower in quality than original copies. As for all the ones I have I notice some seem to be a bit heavier and thicker whereas others are a little bit more skinny and flimsy not sure if that really makes a difference in the sound or has to do with re-issues vs. original releases. If that is a factor I am guessing the flimsier ones are likely re-issues or not the highest of quality for vinyl. It also can depend on the re-issues, for instance Iron Maiden just had a bunch of their albums re-released on vinyl but in the original 80's packaging and format of the record itself so those I think are supposed to be just like if you had a Maiden album from that time period you've kept preserved I did get one so far.

But yeah not sure how exactly they even make them, or how different qualities are created it will be intresting to see if anyone else here has any more perspective/knowledge about this.