Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 3:31 pm

Do you know? :)

Recently I discovered this amazing graphic novel. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy it (especially if we take into consideration the sad fact that in Polish version some of longer volumes were divided into two parts) so I was forced to download them in an electronic version and to record them on CD to read them from the screen. I'm reading "The Kindly Ones" now and even though I haven't read all the volumes yet, I claim that speaking of graphic value it's the poorest part of the series :?

Last edited by Irulan on 09 Oct 2007, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slink
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2007, 4:11 pm

Graphically... yeah, I'd say it's probably the poorest in art quality. But that is a minor inconvenience. It has one of the better storylines. I think it is the longest series.

As for worst storyline, I'd say "A Game of You." It was just ridiculous. I've heard it said Gaiman considers that his favorite! Shows what little I know. I enjoyed it, though. Even the worst series is gold standard quality compared to so much else.

For what it's worth, my favorites were Preludes & Nocturnes, Season of Mists, and The Wake.

Now when you finish with The Sandman, look for The Watchmen...

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 4:18 pm

I haven't read "A game of you" yet :) so I can't say if that volume is really so bad.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 5:06 pm

It's a bit stylised, certainly, but I wouldn't call the artwork bad. It took me a long time to get used to, though. It's a shame you're on this one. Sandman really needs to be read in order, and the volume you're reading is 9 of 10. Depending on how much money you've got access too and whether you're comfortable reading in the original english, given how good the exchange rate is from... just about anywhere to the US, I'd consider ordering from Amazon in the US. The volumes of Absolute Sandman have been re-scanned, recoloured and the artwork clarified in a lot of places, and are supposed to look absolutely jawdropping. I know they look expensive, but remember that each Absolute volume contains multiple volumes of the standard size graphic novels, so I think you get the first 3 graphic novels in the one book. That's on my wishlist, but not something I'd splurge on unless I was feeling really rich, given I own all the volumes in their original printing.

Slink, A Game of You took time to grow on me, but I like it now. The story's more about how people feel inside, so it may be less accessible to aspies. I know I just didn't "get it," at all, my first time through. But after 3 or 4 readings, it started to make a lot more sense to me. It's still not my favourate, but I appreciate it for what it is, now.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2007, 5:59 pm

Sandman isn't my favourite Spider-Man villain, but he's certainly in the top 10.

... oh, you were talking about the other Sandman. My bad :P

Never got around to reading this, tragically, but then I only read Watchmen relatively recently, so that's no surprise, really...

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 11:55 am

Unfortunately now I can't afford too much to buy any Sandman volumes but when I start to earn money I'll buy all of them :) I don't want to imagine what my mother would say if she caught me spending money for something what according to her is reserved only for children.
In my country comics (doesn't matter if we're talking about Mickey Mouse adventures or said Sandman) are considered to be good only for children or maybe people in their early teens but not for someone like me - I'm 23. This year when I was to turn 23, my mother advised me even to get rid of two posters with Star Wars scenes that are on my room's door for the last 5 years because "I'm too old for them".

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2007, 6:14 pm

Some of the best literature ever written. I adore Death...

I'd say my favorite is probably "Brief Lives."

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 10:16 am

Veresae wrote:
I'd say my favorite is probably "Brief Lives."

I've just started to read this and I've a vague feeling it's one of the best volumes (equally with Preludes and Nocturnes).

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:27 am

Despair is the spitting image of my aunt Ela and I am grateful to all gods from all possible pantheons that aunt wears clothes in contrast to Despair :twisted: :lol:

To people from non-English speaking countries, how were the names of the Endless translated into your language? Here their names are (spelled without diacritic signs):
Destiny - Los
Death - Smierc
Dream - Sen
Destruction - Zniszczenie
Despair - Rozpacz
Desire - Pozadanie
Delirium - Maligna (and when she was still Delight - Marzenie)

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 10:22 am

Sandman is good; Also read "American Gods", one of Gaiman's novels. Fantastic.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 8:09 am

The Dreaming is one of those fictional places where I’d like to live if I had a choice. :D

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 2:19 pm

Oh, I thought this was about Metallica...;)

Still plugging through Girl Genius...but I'm bent in a different direction...;)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 5:55 pm

I enjoyed some of The Sandman. I have to admit though that Dream himself is actually a petty and pathetic character (or at least in the first arc). But I think that Neil Gaiman's version of Death is as good as Terry Pratchett's. It's certainly inspired some of my own writing.

On sabbatical...

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 11:07 am

Which sibling is your favorite and least favorite? My favorite out of them all is Desire while his/her twin Despair occupies the last place on the list for this simple reason that I find her looks loathsome (every time I think of her I can’t stop thinking how much she resembles two of my aunts – but luckily, those wear some clothes, lol). If Despair didn’t exist, I’d go for Destiny in this respect because he’s so boring and insipid. I have a weakness for Dream but I still prefer Desire to him because he/she is so sneaky and full of something I’d call sweet charm of corruption.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 5:43 pm

Hmm. My favourite is Death, of course, but my least favourite, after some consideration, is probably Despair. If Despair didn't exist, then Desire, because of what he/she has done, based on whim.

On sabbatical...

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 6:40 am

Yesterday I got to read "Endless Nights" :)

I think my favorite stories are those about Dream, Destiny, Death and Destruction - in this order. Destiny isn't a person (or rather an entity, I should have named him so) you would be easily inclined to suspect of having any personality at all (though very recently I discovered two fanfics the authors of which were tempted to show his more "human" side in them and did their job well - on the other hand, I do admit, those fanfics were very Mary Sueish) so I'm not suprised that he didn't get a "real" story on his own. But I think if he did, it would give him a chance to be perceived by the Sandman fans as being more of a person rather than just a function he performs. But I liked the story on him because I always found his realm of forking garden paths fascinating.

I really appreciated the idea of the meeting of stars in which Killala participated and the place in which time didn't pass. Although I don't think it was very realistic that this soldier from "Death and Venice" set such great store by such an insignificant event from his childhood - because it was trivial if you think of it: a boy visiting his family in a different country meets a mysterious girl who accidentally happens to speak his language and knows his name (as if it was such a strange thing that she could hear it listening to the noises of his playing with cousins). But I hold those two ideas for the adventures of Dream and Death in VERY HIGH esteem.

I didn't like the Desire story because my tastes don't run towards romance, nor the Despair or Delirium ones, mostly for this simple reason that I didn't understand what they were actually about, though :?