Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 11:07 pm

I need to get my motivation to play flute back. I don't practice so I get worse and want to practice even less. It wouldn't even be a problem except my families always around and even though they wouldn't mind I'm too embarrased to play when I know people will hear me because I know I suck and having played for 6 years I should be better.
I'm seriously considering going out into the woods somewhere to play. I just need to have fun again. Been too long since it's been fun. I wish I knew some blues solo pieces. Stupid band music, it doesn't sound good without the rest of the band. And the band teacher just keeps giving us simpler music because noone practices and she just expects us to practice without doing anything to make it happen.
Just gotta play the damned thing, get past this psychological barrier.
A lot of it was being generally unhappy, but I can't let that keep me down.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2007, 11:49 pm

try taking it a bit of a slow pace to begin with. Sometimes it's nice to go away from your hobbies and come back a little refreshed. do try going out and playing in solitude, it might help. in theend though, it's all down to you. nobody can make you do it.

BrutalRhubarb
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2007, 12:42 am

I was feeling the same way recently about juggling. Since then, I've found several good places where I can be in solitude and enjoy a pleasant atmosphere. A new environment can be very stimulating, though it may take a bit of time to find a good place. Personally, I think thats your best bet, to kick things off again.

After you've spent some time on the window ledge, or in the woods, or on your back in the river, I'm sure you'll feel rejuvenated.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 12:57 am

Once my walking buddy and I were walking through the greenway when we heard music. It was enchanting. We went looking for it, and it was just a guy sitting behind a stump playing a tin whistle. and not a renaissance faire or some such as we thought. We left him alone so he would continue. It made the day special.

frizzly
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Nov 2007, 11:16 pm

When I was in band (I played alto sax), I saw the flute players angling the flute downwards, which made the sound very quiet so the conductor wouldn't yell at them. This isn't a great solution but it might help. Also, you're lucky the flute is the key of C, because you can learn guitar and piano music without having to transpose.