Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:53 pm

Any audiophiles here?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 5:00 pm

I like good equipment, but I draw the line at overly self indulgent crap like interconnects that cost more than they're worth. (IE, Monster Cable and other more expensive varieties)

I like equipment that's decent enough to accurately reproduce what recording engineers hear in the control room, anything that claims to be greater is crap.

Cerumenator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 5:02 pm

I'd like to be, but I can't afford it!

Seriously, tho, I am currently obsessing over portable hifi. On my wish list is a portable amp to go with my Creative Labs Zen Vision M, then maybe a set of Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10's or Shure SE530's. Or the reverse order.

I spend a lot of time on HeadFi.org.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:42 pm

Sorta, but I don't spend any money on hifi speakers or anything, I prefer headphones which you can take anywhere. It's also a lot cheaper to buy an excellent set of headphones than a pair of speakers. Currently I am indulging my eardrums with a set of Shure SE530s, which are absolutely ace.

I can't encode all my music in lossless as I only have a 16gb portable player, so I make do with 256kbps VBR mp4. Only on the odd occasion can I notice any difference.

Cerumenator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 7:47 pm

Oddity: I haven't chosen between the Shure's or the triple.fi's yet. did you get a chance to listen to the triple.fi's before buying the Shure's, and if so, what made you choose them?

Ive heard neither yet. Don't know which I'd like more.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:13 pm

No, I haven't heard the Triple Fis. I can direct you to this page which gives a comparison of the two, though.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?p=174292

I'm sure you'll be quite happy with either. I love my SE530s, my recommendation is that if you get them don't bother with the PTH accessory, it's not very useful as they are quite easy to take out and put in your ear again if someone speaks to you. The accessory is definitely not worth an extra $50.

Oh, and whatever you do don't buy either of these on ebay. It's tempting since there are so many cheap deals on there but I assure you that ebay is chock full of cheap fakes.

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2008, 9:34 pm

Yes. Music is my primary interest, so I want it to be reproduced faithfully. I will get more expensive gear in the future when I've made some money, but this is what I have now:

Portable: iPod Classic 160GB; a set of on-ear Sennheiser's (I don't know the model number off the top of my head but they're supposed to be the best of that style of earphone, and they were about $50); Etymotic ER-6i in-ear phones for when I want the isolation (but I don't use them very often)

Home: I listen with my computer. I rip all of my CD's to 320 kbps AAC (if iTunes and iPod supported flac I would definitely use it). I have a Creative Audigy sound card, some 2.1 channel Logitech speakers, and Sennheiser HD-497 cans for headphone listening.

I don't have any SACD or DVD-A technology yet, because of cost obviously. But I'm really looking forward to being able to use a better medium than CD's for everything. My sound card supports up to 24 bit 96 kHz (CD's are 16 bit 44.1 kHz), and I plan on upgrading to an even better sound card sometime soon. I record my own music, and I can hear the difference if I go from that quality down to CD quality.

Cerumenator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 11:06 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
No, I haven't heard the Triple Fis. I can direct you to this page which gives a comparison of the two, though.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?p=174292

I'm sure you'll be quite happy with either. I love my SE530s, my recommendation is that if you get them don't bother with the PTH accessory, it's not very useful as they are quite easy to take out and put in your ear again if someone speaks to you. The accessory is definitely not worth an extra $50.

Oh, and whatever you do don't buy either of these on ebay. It's tempting since there are so many cheap deals on there but I assure you that ebay is chock full of cheap fakes.

Thanks for the link - I just want to make the right choice for my ears. I have the UE super.fi 5's now, and read that the 10's are way better, but.... I'm leaning towards an entirely different house sound signature. Now there's the new Klipsh, too! Wish there was a place to audition these before buying.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:26 pm

RainKing wrote:
Home: I listen with my computer. I rip all of my CD's to 320 kbps AAC (if iTunes and iPod supported flac I would definitely use it). I have a Creative Audigy sound card, some 2.1 channel Logitech speakers, and Sennheiser HD-497 cans for headphone listening.

You do know iTunes and iPods support Apple Lossless, yes?

Cerumenator: It's a pity you can't just go into a shop in most places and try before you buy. I bought my headphones online and had to go just by reviews like yourself. It's a pain in the ass because it seems every second review you read always contradicts another you read earlier. It's understandable though, I mean I get tons of earwax come out sometimes when i use my earbuds, so it wouldn't be very hygenic.

oxes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2008, 4:01 am

yeah a bit.

i test and copy all my cds into FLAC via EAC. equipment-wise i'm lacking, mostly due to lack of funds. i have a pair of sennheiser 595's, which i love dearly. best purchase i ever made.

i'm currently saving up for a proper sound card and a nicer turntable so i can start ripping my vinyl records in 24 bit FLAC. i'll also need another external drive for this. maybe by the time i get around to it a terabyte drive will be as cheap as a 500 gig is now.

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2008, 2:12 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
RainKing wrote:

You do know iTunes and iPods support Apple Lossless, yes?

Yes I do know, but I can't play Apple Lossless files in WinAmp or share them with people.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 5:36 pm

I guess I'm technically an audiophile. I'm sensitive to subtle variations in sound that most people can't even hear (according to them). And I obsessively collect records and drool over vintage guitars.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 11:01 pm

Eh, maybe. I have AKG K-271 Studio headphones, currently eyeing the K-671s. Only a 400 dollar upgrade. :P

My speakers are studio monitors. Not that great, hopefully I can get some KRKs or some Mackies later on.