Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2009, 5:31 pm

billsmithglendale wrote:
The one thing I'd like to bring up here is that approaching someone who "looks lonely" (or desperate) is sort of a predatory way of looking at things. Basically, it's like you're looking for a mark, for easy prey. It's the wrong approach for girls, and often someone who is alone wants to be alone. It's an understandable reaction to Aspie dating desperation (which we see a lot of here), but the logic doesn't hold -- you don't want to be hunting for the bottom-dwellers. They're down there for a reason -- they want to be alone, they're crazy, etc. -- all of which has been borne out in this thread.

It's very different if they are sending you signals, making eye contact, etc. But someone minding their own business, sitting far away from others, probably should not be bothered.

I agree. Every time someone has approached me on a bus or at the stop I give them a death glare. I dont want to talk to someone at a bus stop, I'm usually on my way to or just back from work, tired, frustrated or psyching myself up, I just want to sit quietly. One exception was the other day on the bus a horrible woman was screaming into her phone and I was covering my ears & finally whispered to the person near me "god she is soooo loud" & that lady kind of opened her eyes wide and nodded, and the boy in front of me smiled but covered it with his hand. And finally the lady got off & the boy started talking (to me I guess? I think he might have been AS cuz he wasn't looking at people, or me as he talked to me, and kinda randomly said wierd things, but in a nice way) & told me about a pidgeon nesting outside his window, and I thought that was kinda cool & sweet so I did talk to him for a bit. I even kind of wanted to give him my # but the conversation was awkward and died out on both our parts... oh well.

"becuz finding joy doesnt come without struggle; becuz the point IS to find it; becuz if an autistic person calls autism a way of being, not an illness, then it is; becuz every human has a value & is a joy; becuz despite inhumane acts, I believe

Space
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 8:28 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
Any of you fellas ever noticed an obviously lonely chick and started talking to her? If so, tell us about your adventures please.

The only time I see an obviously lonely chick, she is not my type physically, if you catch my drift.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 8:48 pm

bus station sucks

but any other place, the library or an event of some sort, you can make small talk and see if the girl responds with a smile and follows up.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 9:03 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
My poor, daft, younger brother, who of course is an aspie, saw a lonely-looking girl at a bus station. He didn't try to pick her up, he just felt bad for her. He proceeded to talk to her to keep her company when she started screaming, "Rape!" She stabbed him with a nailfile many times until security intervened. He had to go to court. There were witnesses to his innocence in addition to psychiatric papers claiming that the girl was mentally ill. Evidently she did this before. The previous gentleman died from infection to his stab wounds. My brother later met his wife through a support group for crime victims. His wife was victimized when she picked up a female hitch-hiker who robbed and badly beat her. She was another "Good-Samaritan". If somebody looks like they need help around me, that can forget it and just call a cop because I won't help. At best, I'll call the cop for them.

wow...

just...

ive always said this: when im old, im getting a gun.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 2:18 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
My poor, daft, younger brother, who of course is an aspie, saw a lonely-looking girl at a bus station. He didn't try to pick her up, he just felt bad for her. He proceeded to talk to her to keep her company when she started screaming, "Rape!" She stabbed him with a nailfile many times until security intervened. He had to go to court. There were witnesses to his innocence in addition to psychiatric papers claiming that the girl was mentally ill. Evidently she did this before. The previous gentleman died from infection to his stab wounds. My brother later met his wife through a support group for crime victims. His wife was victimized when she picked up a female hitch-hiker who robbed and badly beat her. She was another "Good-Samaritan". If somebody looks like they need help around me, that can forget it and just call a cop because I won't help. At best, I'll call the cop for them.

wow...

just...

Umm, guys, you know you can fight back the attacker, right? You can also run away.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 2:28 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:

wow...

just...

Umm, guys, you know you can fight back the attacker, right? You can also run away.

fight back? RUN? i fight poorly, and run slowly. i want to live.
im getting the gun :]

(in the meantime, im calling my brother and his pals ;] )

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 2:32 pm

statistically you are better off without a gun or a knife. criminals are always looking for guns to steal from people and after they rob you, they will shoot you with your own gun, and stab you with your knife.

best protection is keep your distance from people and if they start getting closer to you - cross the street. if they go after you - run like hell and scream!

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 3:48 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
statistically you are better off without a gun or a knife. criminals are always looking for guns to steal from people and after they rob you, they will shoot you with your own gun, and stab you with your knife.

best protection is keep your distance from people and if they start getting closer to you - cross the street. if they go after you - run like hell and scream!

That's a bit of misinformation. There are literally thousands of cases each year across the U.S. where a firearm is used to successfully protect life or property. A knife is a dicier matter, but sometimes it's better to have one than not have one, even if it lands you in trouble. A firearm is actually a great equalizer. It allows a 90 pound woman to successfully protect herself from a 220 pound attacker.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 4:03 pm

if she has the gun cocked and ready and it's not too late when the attacker is close. i agree. if you live in Harlem, then, yea. even then, chances are it's a junkie trying to get $20 from you for heroin or cocaine. but if you show them the gun, then maybe they might run away. i dunno.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 4:10 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:

statistically ACROSS THE ATLANTIC, maybe ;)

im in norway. if you find any information about our recent big crimes, youll find that the ONLY thing you need, to successfully rob a bank, and get away with tens of millions is:
pack guns.

if you pack guns in norway, EVERYBODY runs, including the police. nobody can touch you :]

police here dont pack, and when cops dont pack, criminals dont pack either, and you get a "pleasant circle" where nobody uses guns. in 2 big and several smaller recent incidents some loosely assembled gangs picked up on this, and pulled off some amazing heists.

if police are called about clearly armed criminals, they will take longer in responding, but send a swat team. if theres no indication of weapons, normal unarmed cops will arrive, and then theyll have to GET armed. in one incident in oslo, a guy who started shooting random people, had a 30 minute run, before cops could get their guns, too little too late, and pursuit him.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 4:51 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:

statistically ACROSS THE ATLANTIC, maybe ;)

im in norway. if you find any information about our recent big crimes, youll find that the ONLY thing you need, to successfully rob a bank, and get away with tens of millions is:
pack guns.

if you pack guns in norway, EVERYBODY runs, including the police. nobody can touch you :]

police here dont pack, and when cops dont pack, criminals dont pack either, and you get a "pleasant circle" where nobody uses guns. in 2 big and several smaller recent incidents some loosely assembled gangs picked up on this, and pulled off some amazing heists.

if police are called about clearly armed criminals, they will take longer in responding, but send a swat team. if theres no indication of weapons, normal unarmed cops will arrive, and then theyll have to GET armed. in one incident in oslo, a guy who started shooting random people, had a 30 minute run, before cops could get their guns, too little too late, and pursuit him.

One of the biggest pro-gun arguments -- When seconds count, the police are minutes away. :)

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2009, 4:54 pm

I've seen lonely girls hanging out before, back when I was single, I would maybe flirt a little, see if they were interested in women, and most of the time, they would get really offended or horrified at me. :P I've been in that situation too, where I was the "lonely girl". I wasn't looking for a date though, just a friendly person to talk to. That's always nice.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 5:01 pm

dam, it's tough being an lgbt person. but if you go to lgbt events and get to know the lgbt community, you'll find plenty like minded people.

use condoms ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

JennaJ
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2009, 10:08 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:
I crazy girl with a nail file? You can usually see that a person is a psychiatric patient by their face. If they don't smile when they see you, don't even start talking to them.

People who smile at complete strangers are the crazy ones.

I've had plenty of men and women give me a warm smile when I asked them something. It's a standard of politeness at work and at school. I was sitting on a coffee shop bench outside, reading my homeowork with a cup of tea in my hand, and this girl stopped and asked "Do you know what time it is?" I said 1:20. I smiled. She smiled. It was nice. She was not crazy.

It's all about how you present yourself. In my case, I was wearing a business suit, clean shaved, and with a recent hair cut. Wearing a pair of black loafers. Of course, if you are wearing a hoodie or don't look clean and professional, people will not trust you.

Yea and actually that's sad and a reflection how people draw stereotypes in their head at first meet. In your case she drew a good stereotype because you were clean shaven and in a suit, but it is sad in many cases because people ASSUME that is the kind of guy you can trust, and they let their guard down. Meanwhile there have been clean shaven men in suits who turned out to be serial killers, think Scott peterson and Ted Bundy.

I personally make it a point not to feel a false sense of security based on someone's looks. I will talk to someone who looks 'odd' probably as quick or quicker than the ones who look normal simply because I know that there are no guarantees with either one, but the odd looking ones usually seem more interesting thus I usually give them more time. LOL

I bet most of the odd looking ones are harmless too.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2009, 10:23 pm

Oh yeah, that's why chicks go for the bmw driving phonies, the players, and liars, the jerks, etc. It's all about how you present yourself, not who you ACTUALLY are. If I put on an act - I'd be able to find a gf. But I choose not to. It takes too much effort. I dress sharp - professional suit and black loafers - because that is who I am. I want people to take me seriously. I don't wanna look like I am about to rob someone.

JennaJ
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2009, 7:44 am

NOt sure if you are getting my point. What you said above about women going for outward things is STILL proof of the sad state of affairs of our society. How someone looks is NOT who they necessarily are and it this false sense of security that gets women (or men) trapped into a potentially BAD situation.

No offense to you, but a sharp suit, polished shoes and a clean shave doesn't make a person less dangerous because of the outfit than the 21 year old next to you with a hoodie and dirty converse. That look likely WILL yield some trust out of a young female the guy in the suit approaches but that isn't necessarily a good thing. ANY guy can clean up in a suit - doesn't mean they are not dangerous!

THe 21 year old might be the harmless one.

If you want to be taken seriously then absolutely, look the part you want to portray. The part that I stated was sad was when a lonely vulenerable female mistakenly believes that loook means the guy is someone she can trust. He might not be.

Trusting a person based on appearances is a slightly different conversation then the one where you are headed about how people in the world view you. While there are similiarities one is about putting trust into a person dressed a certain way while the other convo is about a first impression you get of that person but you might never talk to them or allow them to approach you.

I might draw conclusions in my mind about the kid in the hoodie and the guy in the suit when i am out, but I am not necessarily going to trust either one based on any outward charactersitics.
And i try hard to not allow my paradigms to get in the way because I know appearances are very misleading. Some of the sweetest kids I ever met had dyed black hair, a lot of piercings and tats and a snarl on their face when they walked about.