Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 12:44 pm

for someone to not be thinking about sex all the time?

I'm not trying to say that I'm asexual (far from it), but basically many of the sex drive-based behaviors that men often exhibit, I generally don't. For example, when I see a good-looking woman, my first instinct isn't to check her out, as many other men would do... it just feels like in my quest to suppress all impulsive behaviors (which got me into fights with countless people and into trouble a lot more often during middle school and high school), I may have suppressed my otherwise normal male sexual behavior as well... What I want to know is: 1) is choosing to not let my penis control my brain considered a healthy normal way of life for a man? and 2) is it inhibiting my ability to find a girlfriend (since by not being impulsive, I'm very deliberate on taking action on anything)

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 1:18 pm

You might relate to this:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt96858.html

But after I research about the subject I don't believe that I am asexual in any form or shape and I barely believe that there's something called asexual.

Having a romantic interest toward someone else of the opposite sex (or same if you're homo) IS a sexual behavior , even if it doesn't project explicitly sexual behavior. The brain is behind our sexual behaviors and not the dick :roll:.

And no, I fear that it's not a normal male behavior.

embernator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2009, 1:59 pm

Not nessecarily a bad behavior even if it's not normal. Speaking as a girl, I'd like it way better being around/with a guy who doesn't check me out than one who does.

Tias
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 2:10 pm

I think what you're doing is good. Alot of men, when seeing a attractive girl go "omg, i would do her" or in other words simply think with their dick. it's good imo that there are some who arent like that.

Looks are of course importent, you do need to be attracted to them, but not being like the others, i dont see the problem. Just shows you arent simply into the sex only, imo

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 2:37 pm

The idea that men "think about it all the time" is a stereotype. Obviously, we wouldn't be able to function if we did. And there are other, more interesting things to occupy one's mind, you know... :roll:

The main problem with the average guy, however, is that he is susceptible to arousal at almost any time. Consider yourself fortunate if you don't have this weakness.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 5:29 pm

I'd say it's normal. It's the same with me, and I too am far from being asexual.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Witch
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2009, 6:31 pm

I'd say it's normal also. There're many people that don't think of sex for very long periods of time, and they're perfectly fine, just not interested in sex.

I was kinda like that betewwn the ages of 17 and 32. Just not interested in finding a mate or having sex. I suppose other things were occupying my mind.

You're normal.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 6:59 pm

Sex isn't the basis of a healthy, mature, lasting relationship.

The much vaunted sexual attraction ethic has lead to more exploitation, abuse, and pure lethal stupidity by both genders of the human species than crack, IMO. The grunt and sweat drive is purely about procreation and status re-inforcement (hence the 'trophy wives' BS), not about genuine intimacy.

Go talk to any ordained person who takes a vow of celibacy to find out the benefits of not letting hormones run your life. Being able to see the person beyond the mere body, being able to develop an emotional and intellectual intimacy happens best OUTSIDE lust, not because of it.

Sex is big business and the treatment of so-called sexual 'dysfunction' is worth billions of dollars. Don't fall for their clever advertising... you're just fine.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 10:22 pm

embernator wrote:
Not nessecarily a bad behavior even if it's not normal. Speaking as a girl, I'd like it way better being around/with a guy who doesn't check me out than one who does.

But would you want to go out with and possibly form a relationship (assuming that relationship potential actually exists) with a guy that doesn't check you out?

Witch wrote:
I'd say it's normal also. There're many people that don't think of sex for very long periods of time, and they're perfectly fine, just not interested in sex.

Well I'm interested in sex, but it doesn't dominate my interactions with women... nevertheless, it has made more than a few people in the past think I'm a homosexual because of that...

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 10:36 pm

I'm similar. I'm attracted to intelligence, femininity and a certain uniqueness. Sexual attraction doesn't enter the picture that often... to me it feels like a side effect of these other attractive qualities. The women who have all these other qualities become the women I find most sexual attractive.

As for it being 'normal'... the only issue I have with it is that without the very strong sexual attraction/drive it's difficult to get the nerve to talk with women. I think that primal urge pushes many men to try lots of things in attracting women...

In the long term it's a good thing, and I think the relationships you'll have will be better for it. But it makes it difficult to form that initial sexually charged connection. And I have learned many women want to be found sexual attractive by men they like...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 10:45 pm

Pugly wrote:
In the long term it's a good thing, and I think the relationships you'll have will be better for it. But it makes it difficult to form that initial sexually charged connection. And I have learned many women want to be found sexual attractive by men they like...

Yeah that's the problem I've been having... taking that first step...

This is an arena where being impulsive will actually get you somewhere (either smacked around or land you in a relationship)... but I've been trying my hardest to eliminate impulsive behavior within myself because my impulses tend to be violent outbursts...

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 11:09 pm

I suppose I'm one of the guys that looks at a good looking woman, and the first thing i do is check her out. But, it's all internal, and i never act upon it. It's different when I'm talking to a woman though, the sex thoughts take a back seat to conversation, or better yet, the effort to converse. So i won't say that i think about sex all the time, but it is the first thing that comes to mind when I see a woman that I don't know. I can't help it, it's a reflex. :chin:

Those who know, don't speak.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 11:36 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
I suppose I'm one of the guys that looks at a good looking woman, and the first thing i do is check her out. But, it's all internal, and i never act upon it. It's different when I'm talking to a woman though, the sex thoughts take a back seat to conversation, or better yet, the effort to converse. So i won't say that i think about sex all the time, but it is the first thing that comes to mind when I see a woman that I don't know. I can't help it, it's a reflex. :chin:

I am pretty much the same way now. For several years though, sex was the last thing on my mind. I think being depressed had a lot to do with it. Anymore, I can look at an attractive woman, and imagine having sex with her, but I don't think I could actually do it, unless I was attracted to her in other ways.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 11:53 pm

^I don't imagine having sex with these women, I just evaluate their sexiness, and admire their looks/body. Mostly, I'm a chronic butt "checker-outer". :lol:

Maybe the reason I don't think about sex when i'm talking with them, is that i can't see their butt anymore? :lmao:

Those who know, don't speak.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 6:39 pm

Don't worry if it's "normal" or not. Do whatever you feel like doing.