I am so sick of trying to find someone online:(

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Darian_C
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2009, 10:32 pm

Bluestocking wrote:
Considering that the majority of rapes are committed by someone you know, someone you trust, and are usually a friend or a relative, I'm going to say that if I'm going to spend my life being scared of rapists, I should be more scared of my own stepfather or stepbrother than anyone I meet on the internet. :roll:
There are of course safety precautions to take, but I think that it's easy to detect the fakers from the real thing.

Detecting fakes is no where as near as easy as you might 'think', I know because I've been practicing it for the past 2 years, and although it gets easier, it's very hard to tell if someone is telling the truth online, let alone real life where your provided all the cues you could ever need.

Adam917
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2009, 6:35 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
This is why you should never hook up with anyone online... :lol:

http://en.okcupid.com/profile/calandale1

Now this just has to be a joke.

pissgai
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2009, 8:43 am

I don't see the point of me using online dating sites. I'd rather [verb removed by lau] a local girl.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 5:20 pm

Online dating USED to be really nice. I even met a few women off it. But since maybe 2003 the Russian Mob has taken over all the sites and just spams away with automated programs, overwhelming the few real ads. Also, the guys on dating sites are so weird now, and want such bizarre and deviant and sickening things done to them or to do with a woman, that most women just delete their profiles and try offline. On Craigslist I've noticed that there are three types of women: ads (ok, not really women), serial posters who usually have something really wrong inside their heads so no man would ever date them, and women who post once or twice and then run away screaming. I think there are a LOT of women who have tried online dating and met so many pervs and horny toads that they just say the hell with this, I'm gonna get me some cats. I've tried CL, Lavalife, and was recently introduced to Plenty of Fish, which has its own problems, namely tons of dead ads from women who haven't logged in in ages, since they never delete anything, poor search engines, and lots of dating event spam. I will try OK Cupid. I'm not unrealistic, I realize I'm not gonna meet a supermodel, but I would like a woman who is reasonably sane.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 9:50 pm

Plentyoffish is one of the most depressing websites I've ever visited. Their forum is an emotional black hole, I've hardly seen such unsympathetic and selfish discussion by people who clearly aren't trolling. I find the women around my age are looking for men with a stable job who may be quite a bit older, moreso than the women I actually know through my own friends - notably, many are single parents. I didn't look at OKCupid very long, but it seemed to be an improvement from that or the smaller dating sites.

I still imagine that you're probably more likely to get lucky through meeting people on common interest forums. I'd say "like this forum", and sure enough there are some single women here, but I wouldn't hold out for anything. Join a few other places and become recognisable members of the community, and see if there are any women you feel you can connect with.

However, I've more or less given up on internet relationships over discussion forums. I had a bad experience with this approach, where I found that even if a girl is who she says she is there's still a vital gap in communication that may lead one to misunderstand the (vague) signals. After all, we're all talking to a big community of people through text, so many subtleties which may be necessary to pick up in real life just aren't there. It's worked out for some people, but after my bad experience I'd have major trust issues in such a scheme so I prefer "real life". So overall I'd suggest being cautious with women on the internet at all times, especially if you haven't met them in person.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jun 2009, 11:21 pm

Maybe it's just me, but when I read a topic like this, I always click on the OP's profile, wondering what he's all about. Only to find no information at all. If it were me, I would fill in at least some of my interests. One never knows who is reading the posts, feeling sympathetic, and might pm you if something in your profile strikes their fancy. Just a thought.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 7:15 am

pezar wrote:
I think there are a LOT of women who have tried online dating and met so many pervs and horny toads that they just say the hell with this, I'm gonna get me some cats.

HEY! I take offense to that... :P

That said, I stay away from online dating myself...

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 2:20 pm

Darian_C wrote:
I've tried MySpace, Xat, MyYearbook, Ning, Yahoo Messenger, MSN/Windows Live Messenger...

I've tried everything, and I've only achieved a small amount of success, never met anybody in real life and I am currently single online and offline.

I wouldn't call that limited success :(

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 2:26 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
pezar wrote:
I think there are a LOT of women who have tried online dating and met so many pervs and horny toads that they just say the hell with this, I'm gonna get me some cats.

Woman usually prefer to see the man in person, unless they are after something specific. I which case you just sit back and let them message you.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 4:15 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
pezar wrote:

Woman usually prefer to see the man in person, unless they are after something specific. I which case you just sit back and let them message you.

I was referring to pezar's term "horny toad"...

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2009, 8:59 pm

I haven't tried online dating (or indeed IRL dating!) but I have heard 'single, attractive, sane, pick any TWO.' Is it true?

KnightGhost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2009, 11:24 pm

I haven't found any local things to volunteer for or meet people that worked. I'm a wall flower and always get left behind. At least the internet offers a slight chance.