Prostitution is already legal

Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 3:52 pm

Well if its that easy money Craig i'm sure you'l have no trouble in your new career as a rent boy.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

04 Dec 2010, 5:30 am

ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Craig28 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Craig28, you can use a prostitute if you wish, sure, but when you announce that fact publicly, you can't exactly be surprised when a bunch of high-horse ethical people jump on you for it.

At least I am not abusing her, or any woman for that matter.

Debatable.

How so?

Well it's not particularly unknown that women who are prostitutes are usually not in economic positions whereby they chose that profession from a plethora of other careers.

Please explain how that equates with him abusing her. If she has made her choice(and she has otherwise he wouldn't be doing business with her) why would it be abusive to buy her services? I could understand if she was an addict but I doubt craig is foolish enough to involve himself with that sort.

I think exploiting someone else being born into a low socio-economic class is inherently abusive. It's not as if most prostitutes made the "choice" to sell their bodies as opposed to going to school to become a doctor or lawyer.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2010, 8:17 am

ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Craig28 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Craig28, you can use a prostitute if you wish, sure, but when you announce that fact publicly, you can't exactly be surprised when a bunch of high-horse ethical people jump on you for it.

Debatable.

How so?

Well it's not particularly unknown that women who are prostitutes are usually not in economic positions whereby they chose that profession from a plethora of other careers.

Please explain how that equates with him abusing her. If she has made her choice(and she has otherwise he wouldn't be doing business with her) why would it be abusive to buy her services? I could understand if she was an addict but I doubt craig is foolish enough to involve himself with that sort.

I agree. If a woman chooses to be a prostitute that is her business. I use the services of prostitutes at our local brothel about once a month. The women I see all appear happy, well-adjusted and many actually claim to like what they do for a living. I have never seen anything that would lead me to believe these women are in any way being abused. I treat them well and with respect and they tell me they appreciate that. On the other hand, they claim that some guys don't treat them well and that makes them appreciate more guys that do.

Basically, it all gets down to remembering that in the developed world, most prostitutes choose their profession and that whether or not thay are abused depends largely on how they are treated.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

04 Dec 2010, 8:28 am

AspiRob wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Craig28 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Debatable.

How so?

I agree. If a woman chooses to be a prostitute that is her business. I use the services of prostitutes at our local brothel about once a month. The women I see all appear happy, well-adjusted and many actually claim to like what they do for a living. I have never seen anything that would lead me to believe these women are in any way being abused. I treat them well and with respect and they tell me they appreciate that. On the other hand, they claim that some guys don't treat them well and that makes them appreciate more guys that do.

Basically, it all gets down to remembering that in the developed world, most prostitutes choose their profession and that whether or not thay are abused depends largely on how they are treated.

Um. I used to work in sales. If you think someone trying to SELL YOU SOMETHING putting on a smile and acting thrilled to be there necessarily means they're happy, I don't know what to tell you.

AGAIN, it highly depends on what you mean by "choice". If you mean "not forced at gunpoint", sure, most prostitutes in the west chose to sell their bodies. If you see "choice" as a decision made from several possible alternatives, NO, many if not most prostitutes become such in the context of extreme poverty in order to survive, and in that way, I would assert that taking advantage of such a person's desperation is INHERENTLY abusive.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2010, 3:48 pm

Bethie wrote:
AspiRob wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Craig28 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Debatable.

How so?

Um. I used to work in sales. If you think someone trying to SELL YOU SOMETHING putting on a smile and acting thrilled to be there necessarily means they're happy, I don't know what to tell you.

AGAIN, it highly depends on what you mean by "choice". If you mean "not forced at gunpoint", sure, most prostitutes in the west chose to sell their bodies. If you see "choice" as a decision made from several possible alternatives, NO, many if not most prostitutes become such in the context of extreme poverty in order to survive, and in that way, I would assert that taking advantage of such a person's desperation is INHERENTLY abusive.

The problem with your arguement is that we all work to avoid poverty. That a woman decides to sell her body as opposed to another occupation is just a matter of what she chooses to do to avoid poverty.

The issue here is purely a moral one. Mainly that is it acceptable to trade sex for money. I would have thought in the current post-feminist era where most females are wildly promiscuous, sex has lost much of its moral constraints. If a woman is smart enough to charge for what she would otherwise be doing for free - good for her.

Whether or not one enjoys their job is up to them. I enjoy my job and it shows in what I do. I actually do enjoy being where I work.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 3:50 pm

Bethie wrote:
AspiRob wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
ikorack wrote:
Bethie wrote:
Craig28 wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Debatable.

How so?

Having to work 60 hours a week for $10 an hour is abusive...

Having to work 60 hours a week for $10 an hour is abusive...

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 2:07 pm

AspiRob wrote:
The problem with your arguement is that we all work to avoid poverty. That a woman decides to sell her body as opposed to another occupation is just a matter of what she chooses to do to avoid poverty.

The vast majority of prostitutes DO live in poverty- if you'd like to help women living in destitution, you'd donate to groups dedicated to helping them overcome their circumstances, not support to an industry that leaves many pregnant, assaulted, and in many cases, DEAD.

AspiRob wrote:
The issue here is purely a moral one. Mainly that is it acceptable to trade sex for money. I would have thought in the current post-feminist era where most females are wildly promiscuous, sex has lost much of its moral constraints. If a woman is smart enough to charge for what she would otherwise be doing for free - good for her.

If you're speaking about a specific group of anti-prostitution advocates, that's all well and good,
but I don't take kindly to having MY opinion strawmanned as some sort of neoconservative moralizing.
You're conflating feminism with the "sexual revolution".

"Most females are wildly promiscuous", now? How do you figure?
If you honestly think most women are out giving blowjobs and anal sex to dozens of men a day in pay-by-the-hour hotel rooms or backseats, you have quite the absurd view of women today.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 2:30 pm

Bethie wrote:
AspiRob wrote:

The vast majority of prostitutes DO live in poverty- if you'd like to help women living in destitution, you'd donate to groups dedicated to helping them overcome their circumstances, not support to an industry that leaves many pregnant, assaulted, and in many cases, DEAD.

AspiRob wrote:

If you're speaking about a specific group of anti-prostitution advocates, that's all well and good,
but I don't take kindly to having MY opinion strawmanned as some sort of neoconservative moralizing.
You're conflating feminism with the "sexual revolution".

"Most females are wildly promiscuous", now? How do you figure?
If you honestly think most women are out giving blowjobs and anal sex to dozens of men a day in pay-by-the-hour hotel rooms or backseats, you have quite the absurd view of women today.

Feminism and "sexual revolution" are really just trend lines that only partially explain the changes in social mores. Technological and socioeconomic changes really skewed the sexual marketplace in favor of the exciting and aloof "lover" rather than the "provider".

Neoconservative is More of a foreign policy position.

Keep in mind that sexworker demographics play a role in whether or not we are supporting the ugly aspects surrounding prostitution.

General rules to go by are: No Russians, only English speakers, no sex tourism", no streetwalkers.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 4:11 pm

RICKY5 wrote:
Feminism and "sexual revolution" are really just trend lines that only partially explain the changes in social mores. Technological and socioeconomic changes really skewed the sexual marketplace in favor of the exciting and aloof "lover" rather than the "provider".

Agreed.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 9:59 pm

Bethie wrote:
RICKY5 wrote:

Agreed.

Given how the sexual marketplace has skewed, high functioning people with AS are left out in the cold since their personalities veer towards the
Provider persona rather than the lover.

Now the Conundrum is how can someone with AS, who succeeds on their own, maximize the enjoyment they get out of life?

Frankly I'd rather get laid on payday than whine about how "nobody wubs me", wish to time travel 100years in the past, or want an arranged marriage like it is durkadurkamohammedjihadistan.