Relationships--curiosity vs. "real thing"

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm

From putting a number of things together, I just realized something.

Whenever I meet a woman I am attracted to, I become very curious about what it would be like to be intimate with her, even sometimes what it would be like to be in some sort of romantic relationship with her.

However, I also feel I am not ready for a "full-time" relationship with anyone. Even if a relationship were long-term, I strongly suspect that I would want much more space and time to myself than the typical person in the relationship would.

In other words, I'm really obsessed with getting a "taste" of what the person is like, in and out of bed, but no matter how good it tastes, wouldn't want to eat it more than once every few days in order to not burn my taste buds out, and to still have the opportunity to eat the other things I'm used to.

Do any of you here know what I'm talking about?

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:20 am

There are so many unknowns when starting a new relationship. Will a prospective lover be too needy in terms of my time? That is certainly one potential problem. The opposite could be true as well. I have been in relationships where that was the case. You might want to try to spell out your need for time alone near the beginning to avoid problems later.

n3v3rm0r3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

I too need a lot of time and space to myself. I've had many long term relationships. I only recently experienced romantic love however. When someone cares about you they can often learn to understand your need for space. I find the big difficulty connecting to someone in the first place.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

biostructure wrote:
From putting a number of things together, I just realized something.

Whenever I meet a woman I am attracted to, I become very curious about what it would be like to be intimate with her, even sometimes what it would be like to be in some sort of romantic relationship with her.

However, I also feel I am not ready for a "full-time" relationship with anyone. Even if a relationship were long-term, I strongly suspect that I would want much more space and time to myself than the typical person in the relationship would.

In other words, I'm really obsessed with getting a "taste" of what the person is like, in and out of bed, but no matter how good it tastes, wouldn't want to eat it more than once every few days in order to not burn my taste buds out, and to still have the opportunity to eat the other things I'm used to.

Do any of you here know what I'm talking about?

I'm probably the same. For me it's not so much about "just a taste," it's more that I tend to need a lot of my own downtime. Some of this I suppose I could share with another person or persons, but a bunch of this I would not. I think it'd be extremely presumptuous of me to automatically assume that someone I'm close with would understand implicitly; this is something I'd need to communicate very forthrightly.