Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2012, 11:06 am

- Do you or does anyone you know have separation anxiety/adult separation anxiety disorder (in relationships/friendships)?
-- Have you ever been in a relationship with someone who is too clingy, or has separation anxiety?
- What's the reason people get separation anxiety?
- Is separation anxiety an Aspie thing? How do they treat it? Can it be cured without medicine and therapy? Tips for people who love someone with separation anxiety?
- Any stories or information that might be relevant
- Does anyone have sites with more information about asad? I can't find a lot of useful sites... Thanks!

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:16 am

I used to be this person when I was younger :lol:
Not sure on the causes, but as far as aspies go it's safe to say a love interest can become a special interest. Much like you get anxious or frustrated from being torn from the thing that distracts you from your problems / symptoms it would be the same with your partner.
As for it being aspie only? I'd say we are prone to it but it's not exclusive to the aspie race.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:14 pm

I often get anxious for people to go away, that's about as close as I get.

nomadder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2012, 4:35 pm

Anxious attachment is considered to be one of the four styles of adult attachment proposed in attachment theory. These ideas grew out of infant attachment research. The idea is in our interactions with significant others, we develop beliefs and expectations of attachment figures. There are various therapies for attachment problems, most aim to make you aware of your beliefs and change unhealthy beliefs, eg cognitive behavioral therapy.

I think I read somewhere a lot of Aspies would be classified as having Avoidant attachment, but not all. It's also helpful to understand what kind of people you tend to attract. Put an anxiously attached person with an avoidantly attachment person and it's going to be tough for both of them.

This page gives an excellent overview and the diagrams of strategies used by the different attachment styles is useful to see what is going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_in_adults

AQ 23/50, EQSQ-R EQ 34 SQ 93 (Extreme Systemizer)

hvtitan08
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2012, 6:29 pm

My sister just recently got a divorce, so I feel her pain in her severed relationship.

aarpar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2012, 7:37 pm

My girl sometimes gets separation anxiety because I don't drive very well, but that's because I forget to text her when I reach my destination with the car if I leave her after a date.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thataaronguy204

tatals
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2016, 3:45 pm

I have Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder. It's not very fun.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

26 Mar 2016, 4:15 pm

I've been pretty clingy & needy within my 1st two relationships & experienced separation anxiety. I don't have those problems in my current relationship cuz I'm on a med for Generalized Anxiety & another for OCD. Having a lot of reassurance in the 1st two relationships helped ease it some & so did knowing my girlfriends' schedules/routines; like having a set times to chat(we were long-distance) & them sticking to them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 4:51 pm

I have the complete opposite.

tatals
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2016, 7:53 pm

I actually need to talk to my psychiatrist about it, because I've just realized that it only happens in regards to one person - my mom. I'm avoidant with other people.

I've had this throughout my life. It got better when I lived alone in another city, but now that I moved back home it's back. It sucks.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 6:42 am

aarpar wrote:
My girl sometimes gets separation anxiety because I don't drive very well, but that's because I forget to text her when I reach my destination with the car if I leave her after a date.

This is different from separation anxiety. I it is a different form of anxiety comes, under GAD normally.

Attachment disorder are based on simply being so dependent on a physical presence, that when it is removed it causes anxiety.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 6:55 am

0_equals_true wrote:
I have the complete opposite.
Me too. (I think something's wrong with us..)

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 8:50 am

I am clingy, but not always. Definitely not always. My current situation might be described as separation anxiety; my ex seems to think I have dependent personality disorder which is just plain wrong however. I am depressed and being around people gives me things to do by following and matching their interests. I have self-identity problems and my emotions seem either non-existent or way too strong. I am not dealing well whatsoever with my ex breaking up with me, granted, he still says he loves me so it's all f****d up and I don't know what to think about it all. However, my prior 2 relationships both which were fairly long-term, because I did not form proper bonds with the people, I had little anxiety when I broke up with them.
My biggest problem is that I do not form strong bonds with most people. I can act like I have them but I have never had a bond with anyone like I had with my recent ex. It is devastating to lose that.
Whatever clinginess I have I can pinpoint on things like lack of identity and boredom. Clinginess for me is a symptom, not a diagnosis.

Poor motivation

JaneBuss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2016, 11:07 am

Is separation anxiety negatively affecting you or your relationships?

Some people like to spend every.single.second with their BFF or sweetie and if BFF/sweetie feels the same way, you're golden. If you do and they don't, well, you can reevaluate if 1) you can live with it or 2) would be better off with somebody else.