What does "I love you" mean (to you)?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 11:57 am

Depends who says it

In relationships it's just a reassurance that feelings are more or less as they should be, much like it's used within families generally, though I find it easier to say to partners for some reason.

If it's from a potential partner it probably means she wants to be my partner and is being uncommonly forward about it. Unless I've said it first, in which case it probably means "OK let's go for it."

It can be abused. People can mistake love for narcissistic infatuation, so when they say they love you, they mean they love themselves and have irrationally mistaken you for some impossible ideal nurturer. People can also say it when they know perfectly well they don't mean it, to get an advantage.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 12:08 pm

In a romantical context, I would use that sentence to show my parter that I truly care about her, completely trust her, and feel we're very compatible with each other in a wide range of aspects, from the top of my head. I haven't actually reached that stage with anyone yet, so I don't know if I'm being too idealistic, but at least I'd never mix infatuation with love.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2012, 12:46 pm

@green shadow...
was it that someone said ILY to you and then they betrayed you like that or is that YOU said ILY to them and YOU betrayed them like that?

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2012, 1:34 pm

ptown wrote:
@green shadow...
was it that someone said ILY to you and then they betrayed you like that or is that YOU said ILY to them and YOU betrayed them like that?

I'm hopelessly honest
Consider it as answer

and it wasn't only one person - believe me, one person is not enough to lost all trust in people

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 1:38 pm

i dont know. ive only heard it once as an impulse thing, not in a romantic way. Until that happens, if it does, i dont know what it means to me

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 4:46 pm

LoveHim wrote:
What does "I love you" mean (to you)?

It depends. In what tone of voice is it said? Is it written? Who relay the information to me? In what context? If it's written, and it's a letter, is the letter sprayed with perfume?

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:41 pm

I only say "I love you" when I feel that warm feeling inside my chest. Like if the other person set a little fire there, in the place it is supposed to be your heart. Right there you cannot help but say "I love you", because it is true. That warm feeling, that feeling of wanting to be with the other person, that you care for that other person and want to make her/him happy, that is love. Actually I only say "I love you" to my husband, daughter, and one dear friend of mine. That's it. I do not get that feeling with anybody else.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

23 Jul 2012, 12:26 am

I only said that to my partners when we were in a relationship & I t was because I deeply cared about them & was very attracted to them.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 4:35 am

LoveHim wrote:
In terms of romantic/sexual relationships or deep friendship that has not become sexual/romantic yet....what does I LOVE YOU mean when you hear it from your friend/partner and what would your reply of I LOVE YOU (or I LOVE YOU, TOO) really mean specifically?

Well... Don't really say it to friends as we say it jokingly as such...
was no feeling then.
As a partner though, it's like some kind of meaningful bond that lasts as long as a rubber band.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

LoveHim
Raven
Raven

23 Jul 2012, 9:34 pm

Quote:
was no feeling then.
As a partner though, it's like some kind of meaningful bond that lasts as long as a rubber band.

How long does a rubber band last?

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 11:33 pm

Love is a means to get sex.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 11:44 pm

LoveHim wrote:
Quote:
was no feeling then.

How long does a rubber band last?

Until you stretch it too far and it snaps. If you never stretch it, it will be limp and useless. If you keep it stretched at just the right amount, it should last for as long as there is something to hold together. Even then there is no guarantee though, as some rubber bands just get too old and fall apart on their own, for no other reason than holding on for too long.

(I believe the standard rubber band, if used appropriately, lasts ~10 years.)

ozman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2012, 12:28 am

love is something that is terrible if it is not returned...

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 2:30 am

nick007 wrote:
I only said that to my partners when we were in a relationship & I t was because I deeply cared about them & was very attracted to them.

Yes but many girls do say it just to their friends or in a flirtatious or friendly way to each other, some girls really tend to overuse the word love.

It's important that guys on the spectrum don't get confused and take the term literally.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

24 Jul 2012, 2:51 am

Wolfheart wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Yes but many girls do say it just to their friends or in a flirtatious or friendly way to each other, some girls really tend to overuse the word love.

It's important that guys on the spectrum don't get confused and take the term literally.

I learned it it can be just a phrase people say without meaning from watching Animaniacs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19TBzy81Mac[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

LoveHim
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2012, 11:24 am

ROFLMAO!