Do aspie men want advice from aspie women?

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2012, 11:18 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
MXH wrote:
That said no i wouldnt want dating advice from female aspies. Why? because chances are i wont end up dating a female aspie. And the advice given would be different from the one i need.

Perhaps I'll just put a disclaimer at the top of all my L&D replies: "IF you want to date a female aspie, then read on...". Though I guess that's kind of implied, since NTs tend to mention that they are NT, when they post there.

Philosophically speaking, I'd rather date a female Aspie! :P

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm

Taverson wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

I'm beginning to feel the same way. Every time, it always fails for the same reasons, NT females treat me as if I'm an NT and it falls apart, because we both confuse the *(&* out of each other.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm

Taverson wrote:
Not everyone wants to go on a scavenger hunt for actually relevant and intelligent topics/questions in a sea of bitter sentiment.

That's the case in nearly every forum on this board; most threads that do not devolve into seas of bitter resentment often become irrelevant and unintelligent after the first ten pages or so. No one seems to be complaining that PP&R should be divided into the two categories of "Mindless Rants" and "Helpful Advice", for example. The types of posts (and even threads) run a spectrum from incoherent word salads to clear and concise essays on every given topic.

People just need to learn to tell the difference for themselves.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 12:00 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
MXH wrote:
That said no i wouldnt want dating advice from female aspies. Why? because chances are i wont end up dating a female aspie. And the advice given would be different from the one i need.

Perhaps I'll just put a disclaimer at the top of all my L&D replies: "IF you want to date a female aspie, then read on...". Though I guess that's kind of implied, since NTs tend to mention that they are NT, when they post there.

Its not about a disclaimer. Because even between aspie women theres many things each one prefers. I think ideally What we should do is stop giving advice which is more like guiding someone by remote control into and out of a date and more of teaching people how to figure things out by themselves. It was the goal of the thread i had made for advice. It wasnt a how to guide, it was showing what it takes. Because lets face it, not only do people have individual wants/needs but also actions. the guidance from one person may only work in a very specific situation.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 1:27 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
I really struggle at times on this forum, and particularly in this sub-forum, with trying to read between the lines, or be relaxed about the way people sometimes write. When I read generalisations like "women do this" or "men are that", I'm taken aback because I expect aspies to be more literal-minded. So I think what they write is actually what they believe, i.e., things in absolute.

I know I'm working off stereotypes myself when I assume aspies on here are literal-minded, and clearly I'm wrong because I see these generalisations quite often. I know when someone says (for example) "women are..." that they probably mean SOME women, or MOST women, but the fact that they don't add these important words, on this forum, really throws me.

I guess all I'm saying is I sometimes feel uncertain about whether my opinion in this subforum is welcome/useful, as I can rarely relate to this "every woman" that is so often talked about. So my question is: When males ask for L&D advice on here, who do they want it from? Is advice from a quirky aspie female useful, or are our views, which are different from those of "most women", not very relevant?

Would love to hear different men's input into this :)

Yes I do want some advice from aspie women: how do some aspie women get boyfriend but yet can't make a single friend, very shy and nervous around men and have no social life. Tell me them women secerts and maybe it could solve my problem

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 1:42 am

benr3600 wrote:
Taverson wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

I'm beginning to feel the same way. Every time, it always fails for the same reasons, NT females treat me as if I'm an NT and it falls apart, because we both confuse the *(&* out of each other.

Yep. I'm beginning to think my odds for a good, lasting relationship lie in finding a lady aspie!

I'll consider the advice of anyone whose head is firmly screwed onto their shoulders...

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 1:54 am

again_with_this wrote:
I can only speak for myself.

To answer your question honestly, no, I don't want advice from Aspie women.

Most of the problems I've had on this site have been from Aspie women, or alleged Aspie women, misunderstanding something I've said and assuming the worst about me, not even hearing out my explanation.

I find most of the women here have been coddled and would find their lives much more difficult in they were men with AS, and I don't find their collective thought process all that enlightening. Sure, there may be exceptions to the rule, but on the whole I see that even with AS, women still think much differently.

This is a perfect description of my experience with MOST of the women on this forum.

Off the top of my head, Sweetleaf seems really laid back and easy going, and I feel like she and I would get along quite well in real life. Also, I have yet to see musicforanna flip out on anybody.

Last edited by DerStadtschutz on 04 Nov 2012, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2012, 1:59 am

Taverson wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
MXH wrote:

I would rather date a female Aspie as well.The only problem it seems like it might be incredibly hard to get that type of relationship off the ground[at least for me ].Trying to get a relationship going in those circumstances is kind of like the blind leading the blind.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 1:59 am

Taverson wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
MXH wrote:

I would have thought that too, before coming here and seeing the way the ones in this forum tend to act. I sometimes complain about issues that arise between my girlfriend and I, but I'm SO glad I'm dating HER. If something I say comes out wrong, she at least gives me the opportunity to attempt to explain what I really meant. It might not always work AT THE TIME, but she never stays pissed about her original interpretation of what I said for too long.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2012, 2:02 am

Taverson wrote:
In the short time I've been here, it seems that most male posters don't really look for advice. They just want to put their self-pity where someone else can see and when they get advice, they ignore it and continue to wallow in their misery.

I really wish L&D would be divided into two sub-sub-forums.

1. Love and Dating - Questions/Advice
2. Love and Dating - Rants
I agree but that sort of thing has to be expected when you have a condition[AS] that puts up real obstacles to dating /relationships.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 2:19 am

I think ignoring opinions of a particular group of females based on their diagnostic label is a bit invalidating. Despite the DX label we can still give an enlightening female perspective on things. If it's only advice from experienced NT's that's sought maybe guys should be posting their predicaments in the mainly NT dating site forums instead of here.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 6:38 am

BlueMax wrote:
I'll consider the advice of anyone whose head is firmly screwed onto their shoulders...

Isn't this really all that should matter?

Asides from that:

I have spent a good portion of my life observing NT women.
Why? Simply they have more social intricacies that must be mastered, and they are much harsher judges.
And women are expected to be social masters so you stand out more if you're not.

I also need to observe NT women from a dating point of view - because I have to mimick them in order to get results myself and also at least understand the game before you can play it, especially since you need to know which rules you can get away with bending. Frankly - I have probably paid more attention to NT women when it comes to dating than I have to NT men - because otherwise I wouldn't even know how I am supposed to deal with one.

I don't understand why, given those circumstances, that would make anything I write "invalid" simply because I am a female aspie.
Invalid for reasons of being factually incorrect or simply not useful to you is one thing.
But to be labelled so on based being a "female aspie" - really? Has it really come to that?

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 9:19 am

tam, thanks for the delicately put OP. I too have come to the same conclusion about the writing style and interpretation from other Aspies as far as absolutes go.

About who wants advice:
**Some seek advice from like-minded people (rarely useful).
**Some seek any advice (a lot more sincere, likely to yield better results for the person asking).
**Some seek advice from their fellow peers and from a specific gender.
**Some come here pretending to seek advice but they just want pity, or sometimes they want people that fit their sexual orientation to respond (straight guys hoping straight women respond for example).
**Some come here to vent only regardless of what responses they get, as long as they get responses that do not challenge their ego or thought process.
**Some seek advice from the opposite gender as there are certain things that the OP feels only they can answer on the subject, which is sometimes true.

It's really a mixed bag.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 9:56 am

yellowtamarin, yes, I think your advice is both welcome and useful and I hope this thread doesn't discourage you from giving it. Firstly, you seem to have quite a bit of experience in dating. Secondly, as blue_bean said, an aspie woman is still a woman and so would have a much better chance of understanding NT women than an aspie man. In fact, aspie women are probably in the best position to bridge the gap of misunderstanding between the two! So, all in all, I think you're as qualified as anyone to give advice here. Of course, someone may want advice from aspie men only, but they're free to say so in their post.

yellowtamarin wrote:
I believe I'd also have some good advice on how to attract NT women. But I feel like if I give this advice, rather than my own personal advice, then I'm promoting dating NT women instead of me, and so I'm in a way preventing AS men from knowing how to attract me! Sounds ridiculous, I know, but well...I'm single too :tongue:

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that! From what I've seen, you seem to be careful to separate your advice between what applies to you and what applies to most women. Also, I don't think too many aspie men would specifically want an NT woman, they just know that the vast majority of women they come across will be NT, so it makes sense to prepare for that. Women like you are rare (as you know!) and with the male:female ratio here... well... how many men do you want? :)

Fnord wrote:
Entie women

When I first read this I thought of Entwives and only after a second or so realised you mean "NT" women.

AyporosFM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2012, 12:02 pm

AS women are probably more capable of giving advice to AS men about dating (NT) women than NT women are simply due to the fact that their brains work similarly.

Asking directions from someone who speaks the same language is usually preferable over asking directions to someone who doesn't.. even if that someone knows the directions better..
That's my poor analogy anyway. 8O

I believe this forum could benefit from having your diagnosis status displayed underneath your name so anyone that reads your post can immediately know what kind of person is posting it.

Yellowtamarin personally I'd be much more inclined to date an AS woman if I could, and I believe many of the AS men here will agree from what I've read so far.
As stated though, the amount of (diagnosed) AS women is very low.. I'd be thoroughly surprised if I'd come across a female aspie on this site that happens to live in my neighbourhood (hell, my country even) that happens to be single and compatible with me. :(

Moreover, how many NT women actually peruse these here forums?... I've just been here for one day but from what I've seen the only NT women active are women asking for advice themselves regarding their AS partner/family member.

PM me if it is vital I read your response to something I say in a topic as I might not be able to check responses in all the threads I've posted in. =)

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2012, 8:53 pm

Quote:
As stated though, the amount of (diagnosed) AS women is very low.. I'd be thoroughly surprised if I'd come across a female aspie on this site that happens to live in my neighbourhood (hell, my country even) that happens to be single and compatible with me.

I thought there was a high number of undiagnosed females with AS. Since Autism occurs on a spectrum there will be a large number of people (of both genders) close to the boarder.

Males with AS are probably more comparable with females with some AS tendencies (as opposed to those with strong NT tendencies) so any insight into their mind would be beneficial.