Hale_Bopp's "tear apart my okcupid profile" thread

Page 20 of 21 [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Onewithwings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2014, 6:31 pm

FritzWayne wrote:
I like the honesty and lack of saying the same bland things that many do. Some more photos would help as you are an attractive woman - show it. More photos from farther away for full body and photos showing you in the activities you enjoy - helps give credibility and perception to who you are.

Thanks, I will add some. :)

Onewithwings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2014, 7:05 pm

Added a few... my old phone didn't take great pics so I didn't have many that were at least 400 x 400 mp as required by the site...

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 9:35 am

Here's mine, I'd appreciate a few pointers.

MDD123's Profile

Onewithwings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2014, 6:04 pm

MDD123 wrote:

MDD123's Profile

Good pics. Self-summary made me laugh. I wonder the same about myself sometimes, lol.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 10:30 am

Onewithwings wrote:
MDD123 wrote:

MDD123's Profile

Good pics. Self-summary made me laugh. I wonder the same about myself sometimes, lol.

Thanks, that's the best thing I've heard all week.

I hear the part about being a recovering addict (although to a much lesser extent). Definitely let me know how the hobby search goes, I feel like I'm in the middle of one myself.

Briareos
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2014, 1:19 am

So I thought I'd try to make my self summary less bland. It went from this:

Quote:
I am shy, quiet, and reserved at first, but can become outgoing and dedicated once I feel more comfortable and get to know you a bit. I also consider myself very respectful, honest, and polite.

During the winter I do my favorite thing which is skiing, and of recently taking up teaching people how to do it! In the summertime I like to take very long bike rides around the city, i.e. day-long trips, or head downtown to free run through the city. I'm also quite fond of cars, I'll be going to school soon to become an Automotive Service Technician and start my apprenticeship.

I would like to find someone who is confident, irreverent, more of a quiet type, a little nerdy even, kind of sappy, and likes to stay healthy through exercise.

to this:

Quote:
Hi, I'm Breareos, but you can call me Andrew if you want! I am a little reserved at first, but only because I like to make snappy comments at the right moment! I like to make people laugh, but when I'm needed I'm always the caring friend who's willing to listen.

I ski almost all winter at Springhill, and this year will be my first year instructing people how to ski! In the summertime I like to take daylong bike rides around the city, or head downtown to free run through Winnipeg's core! I'm also quite fond of cars, I'll be going to school soon to become an Automotive Service Technician and start my apprenticeship.

if you have a favorite manga/anime you'd like to show me, a ski trip story, or even to talk about the biggest fish you caught, why not send me a message?

Better right? I thought I'd give people the choice to address me by my real name, as well as inject a little personality into my profile.

Link to check out rest: Peep this!

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 2:12 pm

leafplant wrote:
PastFixations wrote:
Profile Name on OKCupid and POF: Matt_1_UK

Um. You wont like this, and believe me, I am forcing myself to write this because it's not going to do me any favours, but just in case it can be of help to you in getting a date with someone who you will like and be compatible with, it's worth the risk.

1) be positive. If you don't want to mention something, don't mention it, but avoid saying how you don't want to talk about it. It's a turn off and makes you look difficult.

2) Talk about things you like and enjoy. See above. Unless it would be a deal breaker for you if the woman likes the music you dislike, avoid mentioning what you dislike and why. Nobody actually cares and it makes you seem unnecessarily whiny.

3) when I read this " Do you have the time to listen to me whine about everything and nothing all at once?" - I thought - oh, well, at least he is self aware. I doubt many will read that far. also, I would use the black and white photo of you singing as the main photo. The dark one makes you look like a weirdo.

4) think about who this ideal woman of yours is and write a profile For Her

Actually I did like this due to your honesty.

I have made some improvements to my profile such as removing the negative things and changing the photo. :)

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

Onewithwings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2014, 4:41 pm

Specific question-- what "vibe" do you get about what I am looking for from viewing my profile?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/nuxvomica45

I am not intending on anything serious or sleeping around, just fun "dates" and meeting new people with new interests. I included open relationship because A- I want them to know I am in a relationship so those who disagree with open relationships or are looking for something serious will know up front about it, and B- I am open to the possibility of something happening if I really like the person, but it isn't really my goal. I mostly want to keep it friendly.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 7:29 pm

Onewithwings wrote:
Specific question-- what "vibe" do you get about what I am looking for from viewing my profile?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/nuxvomica45

I am not intending on anything serious or sleeping around, just fun "dates" and meeting new people with new interests. I included open relationship because A- I want them to know I am in a relationship so those who disagree with open relationships or are looking for something serious will know up front about it, and B- I am open to the possibility of something happening if I really like the person, but it isn't really my goal. I mostly want to keep it friendly.

I wouldn't mention the drug use up front. People who don't use often don't understand or are afraid of those who do so you are scaring off some non-users making you more likely to meet someone who will be detrimental to staying clean.

For the open relationship thing make sure you find the questions about open relationships and make them mandatory or the one below mandatory to help the matching algorithm sort out the people you dont want to meet...
22 questions??? really??? Get on that. Avoid questions about sex unless they relate to open relationships. I would answer no more than 100 questions: if you find questions you want to be part of your profile clear the answers of ones that are less important. Only answer questions you care about, otherwise the algorithm will judge you on things you dont care about. Avoid "mandatory" unless it really is. The algorithm assigns points to each level irel= 0 a little = 1 somwhat =5 a lot = 50 mandatory = 500.
So if you have 1 mandatory that will override 100 somewhats for matching.

Help your potential date: Feed him an introduction in your message me section. Guys looking to get laid right now dont read the profile anyways, so if you put something like: message me if you've thrown a rock down the side of the grand canyon, if you have have every stayed up all night wondering if there really is a dog and reading cheezy jokebooks. This will give guys who actually read your profile an easy way to start a conversation, allowing you to screen the ones who don't (though you will get similar 1st messages a lot if you dont change that section). If you want to meet interesting people, you have to be interesting yourself. You can request in message section: LF someone to teach me to (???), for example if your thinking something specific.

Just dont be too specific like: finish this quote from firefly: "XXX" because then not only will they have to be of the subset who might talk to you but also of the subset with a Firefly obsession... not that I did that specific thing... not. at. all.

It looks like you took the advice of other posters and added pics, some of them are pretty funny. You are pretty cute and your eyes are very striking so I'd guess you will get a lot of traffic. Think about who the "you" you want to present is, and whether your profile reflects that.

You are very likely an Aspie

Onewithwings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2014, 10:28 pm

thanks for the tips, buffinator

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2014, 11:50 pm

I'm not the type of person you're looking for (at all), but I would suggest switching your profile pic to the one with you and the cat. The one that's primary now looks like a photo ID from a driver's license or a name badge: not a glamor shot.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 3:09 am

inconelx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Mar 2014, 9:51 pm

thanks lkl, i guess you were the visitor from oregon, I hope the one from venezuella is also from here or otherwise not looking for a date, he is not so good at setting his location range.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 10:50 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Bazinga.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 5:35 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Such a waste of time, paper, ink, money, hand energy and iphone memory.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 9:39 am

Uprising wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Such a waste of time, paper, ink, money, hand energy and iphone memory.

Beautiful!