Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2014, 8:15 am

Just last night/early this AM, I was out with a group of old friends from high school. While we were at a bar, one of them decided to have some fun with the Tinder app on his iPhone.

For those of you who are unaware of what Tinder is, it is a dating app where you can look at a woman's picture and a swipe determine whether you are interested in them. I saw this app in action, and a rather "humorous" chat took place whereupon I was asked for "clean" jokes. I was also invited to download the app for my sake.

And that's where we get into the meat of this discussion. It's one thing to like somebody on that app, but chatting them up in an attempt to get a date out of them could be a real challenge for Aspies like me. What sayeth the forum? Should I even bother to go ahead with it?

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

Im starting to get serious with a guy i met on tinder

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2014, 7:19 pm

Cafeaulait wrote:

Good for you; hope all is going as well as it can go. Dumb question, but how was the experience (both with Tinder and the dating)?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 10:50 pm

Doesn't hurt to try.

Also, chatting someone up via an app or email or online dating site should be plenty easier for an Aspie than having to do it live and in person seeing as we all tend to be a lot better at communicating via text.

I know for myself I've been able to meet plenty of ppl after chatting online first, while I've never ever in my life hit on someone and chatted them up in person for a date. Note: I'm gay. So not chatting people up in person has a lot to do with that as you never know who is/isn't gay or what type of reaction they may have to it, so I just never do it. Might in the future, though.. but so far have never done it. Maybe I would if I hung out in the gay district more.. but I don't hang out there.

Anyways, utilize your ability to communicate via text and give these apps a shot.. best case scenario is you meet someone, worst case is that you're no worse off than you are now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 3:46 pm

Tell us about the guy, Café au lait!

Now I feel a twinge of jealousy :wink:

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 4:40 pm

NYAspie wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:

Good for you; hope all is going as well as it can go. Dumb question, but how was the experience (both with Tinder and the dating)?

kraftiekortie wrote:
Tell us about the guy, Café au lait!

Now I feel a twinge of jealousy :wink:

Lol. He's a 27 year old jurist and he is highly intelligent. He is also really good looking. We've been whatsapping thorougly since mid november and had our first date december 9th. We've been on 4 dates so far and the last date he confessed to me he was in love with me and wanted to introduce me to his parents (he showed his mom and friend a picture; they both liked me). He constantly wants to kiss and cuddle me. I think he wants to make me his girlfriend already, but I don't want to commit and meet his parents yet, because I know many guys confuse lust with love and the initial infatuation phase might not last all that long. I will give it another 3 weeks...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

Sounds great! I hope he passes his test, and you get to meet his parents.

A "jurist" in the US, is a judge, rather than a lawyer. I'm guessing he's a lawyer or in law school? Or in England he might be either a barrister or a solicitor--more likely a solicitor (who is most like a "regular attorney" in the US).

Or is he a judge at the remarkably young age of 27?

mfs1013
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2014, 6:20 pm

All i get on Tinder are usually spam ads with pictures of super hot girls and they spam message me with links to webcam sites.... i just report "Feels like spam" to Tinder on each account that does this

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 7:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sounds great! I hope he passes his test, and you get to meet his parents.

A "jurist" in the US, is a judge, rather than a lawyer. I'm guessing he's a lawyer or in law school? Or in England he might be either a barrister or a solicitor--more likely a solicitor (who is most like a "regular attorney" in the US).

Or is he a judge at the remarkably young age of 27?

You are right.. I didn't look well enough in the dictionary. He is a solicitor.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 8:15 pm

Ive had a couple of girls message me on the app. Managed to get them all to move on within hours of chatting, I have massive skills like that

Khoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2014, 10:12 pm

I've tried Tinder the past few days, and it's incredibly shallow. There are women (and I assume this definitely goes for the men as well) still in their wedding dress. People who are out just to troll. A lot of people who are just looking for one night stands, and I even saw a girl who was looking for something called a 'sugardaddy'. I would not like to be her dentist. There are quite a few people who are looking to cheat.

But it leads to interesting conversations. Not all really that amusing - like, I was talking to a girl for three days before she mentioned that she already had a boyfriend. Why use a dating app then?

What I find hard is deciding if someone is going to be interesting to talk to based on how little information they display.

If I had an iPhone I'd try out bumble, the feminist alternative to Tinder. I'm a bit annoyed at having to make the first move always - knowing that these poor girls probably have a massive amount of sharks going after them already. I'm not that kind of guy, I don't want to take the same route and swim in that sea of harassment.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

Khoma wrote:
I've tried Tinder the past few days, and it's incredibly shallow. There are women (and I assume this definitely goes for the men as well) still in their wedding dress. People who are out just to troll. A lot of people who are just looking for one night stands, and I even saw a girl who was looking for something called a 'sugardaddy'. I would not like to be her dentist. There are quite a few people who are looking to cheat.

But it leads to interesting conversations. Not all really that amusing - like, I was talking to a girl for three days before she mentioned that she already had a boyfriend. Why use a dating app then?

What I find hard is deciding if someone is going to be interesting to talk to based on how little information they display.

If I had an iPhone I'd try out bumble, the feminist alternative to Tinder. I'm a bit annoyed at having to make the first move always - knowing that these poor girls probably have a massive amount of sharks going after them already. I'm not that kind of guy, I don't want to take the same route and swim in that sea of harassment.

Well said on the second paragraph; back in my high school and college days, I often found myself chatting up a woman and the boyfriend angle came up, thus defeating any prospects I would've had on the dating front.

As for bumble, I downloaded that app onto my iPhone just now, even with Tinder's turmoil surrounding the higher-ups there -- oddly enough, Whitney Wolfe, the ex-marketing veep (vice president), is a founder of Bumble. Well, I doubt women will be trampling over themselves trying to ask me out, but it's worth a shot.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Feb 2015, 3:55 pm

NYAspie wrote:
Just last night/early this AM, I was out with a group of old friends from high school. While we were at a bar, one of them decided to have some fun with the Tinder app on his iPhone.

For those of you who are unaware of what Tinder is, it is a dating app where you can look at a woman's picture and a swipe determine whether you are interested in them. I saw this app in action, and a rather "humorous" chat took place whereupon I was asked for "clean" jokes. I was also invited to download the app for my sake.

And that's where we get into the meat of this discussion. It's one thing to like somebody on that app, but chatting them up in an attempt to get a date out of them could be a real challenge for Aspies like me. What sayeth the forum? Should I even bother to go ahead with it?

I just started using Tinder a couple of weeks ago and at first I got nothing.......But then on friday night I actually got matched to a cute blonde chick who gave me her PHONE #! !! 8)

Unfortunately, I didn't text her back right away and the message vanished the next morning. :x

But hey, it's starting to work so I think I'm gonna keep tryin'. I hear it's a really great way to get a hook-up(casual sex).

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 4:05 pm

roteiro
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2015, 4:30 am

Hi there! Very interesting thread indeed. I am new to online dating. I've even using OKCupid, Tinder, etc. My friend recommended me IrinaDating I have not used it yet, but he says that it is a very reliable website with scam-free policy on it. Has anyone tried it?

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 4:50 pm

Tinder seems like a casual way to meet women. I would try it but theres too much space on my iphone to download IOS.