Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

7on
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2007, 10:59 pm

So I was chatting(AIM) with my girlfriend just now and she said "i don't think you realize how things you say come across sometimes." Of course it's true and I am really good about working with what I'm saying but for somereason as I looked through the convo most things I said seem to not work out to what I was thinking at the time. Even now as I type this it seems hard to make my conscious string together something remotely comprehensive. We of course resolved it. But does this happen to anyone else? I suppose it does, but is there a way to combat it? I'm either very tired, the one beer I had with dinner at 8 affected me well into 10:30, or my emotional feelings for my girl just left me babbling.

What do you guys do when you've been informed that you misspoken something?

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2007, 11:17 pm

Unfortunately the best way for me to deal with it has been to simply avoid topics that I know will create difficulties. The only way to get better at this is to practice and try to get feedback. Maybe get her to talk about what she thinks when you say whatever you say.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 11:18 pm

uh, try to make it right? If nothing else, try to rephrase it? Work with her, don't just ramble on about what you meant to mean...if that makes sense.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

24 May 2007, 11:57 pm

Kudos to your girlfriend for phrasing her concern in such a relatively gentle way. That shows maturity. A lot of girls would just freak out on a guy and not give him the benefit of the doubt in such a circumstance. It sounds like you two are able to dialogue your way through the tough times--that's great!

On a side note--I behave the way you describe when I haven't gotten enough sleep recently or if I get lax about my exercise or nutrition. When I eat healthy foods, get ample sleep, and go for a daily jog, I am able to communicate and think much more clearly.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 2:45 am

it happens all the time in messenger, i guess even between NT's it must be difficult to understand the intentions the words were written with. even they cannot read the emotions from words. just talk together about it so you both understand never to get offended through messenger, unless it is something very straightforward.